• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Pro Summer 2 gloves

hcmiller52

I wouldn't usually start a thread to gripe about a product, but I think my complaint about this item rises to the level where it should be discussed openly.

I bought a pair of BMW Summer Pro 2 gloves last season. I have worn them many dozens of times over the past year, whenever weather conditions allow. They are really only useable between about 55 and 80 degrees, being far too light for cooler weather and far too hot for warmer temps without causing profuse sweating.

Last week, I wore these gloves in the rain for the first time. They were soaked, through and through, in five miles. It wasn't from rain running down my sleeves, either. These are genuine Gore Tex lined gloves! There is no excuse for leaking gloves.

My buddy, too, owns a pair, and he, too, experiences wetting. His are so poorly constructed that one of his fingers poked through the lining of one of the gloves.

Since these gloves are over a year old, I have no recourse, but what I do have is the power of the purse. BMW puts their logo on this and a plethora of other riding gear. I am in the market for a riding suit and I will head straight for Aerostitch, bypassing the BMW stuff (which I actually like much better). I think the 'Stitch stuff is pretty bland looking by comparison, but that's very subjective. I want quality and I'm not about to experiment with thousand-dollar bills.

BMW probably pays all of $5 to $10 a pair for these gloves, sewn in China, and marks them up to the dealer who probably adds 100 percent markup from wholesale. I have gloves that cost 1/4 as much as these and have outperformed them. These gloves are really junk. I'm beyond disappointed, I'm annoyed (mostly at myself) for buying into the hype that they should be high quality merchandise because they have the BMW logo.

Curt

I would consider Olympia as well. I found the same lack of quality and design from several of BMWs products. I almost bought their air jacket until I went to the Olympia rack and compared. Better quality and features for half the price.

Gloves

Curt, 2 things come to mind. First I understand that BMW gives a 2 year warranty. Second is Gor Tex offers a life time warranty for leaks. I would contact both to see if they will stand behind them. :deal

Interesting replies from all. Thank you.

I own a pair of the Aerostitch overgloves and find they work well, if not elegant or particularly comfortable. Mine are the fleece lined version, however, so not useable during the summer. Of course, I shouldn't need to use them if I'm wearing waterproof gloves.

I do think I'll ask my dealer about the warrantee and if it is two years, ask them to stand behind it.

As far as Olympis gear goes, my buddy has a one-piece Olympia suit. Since day one, the waterproof pockets have leaked. He almost lost a Palm Pilot (ancient device, I know) when he carried it in his chest pocket in a rainstorm. The pocket ended up with an inch of water in it.

It sounds like Aerostitch is the most dependable of all vendors. I have no financial interest in them, only in my bank account.

Curt

There are no waterproof leather gloves

There are some that will hold water for a short while, some for a while longer, but they will all leak eventually. A goretex liner with water held against it as leather does will always leak eventually. Also if the Goretex has stitching thorugh it eventually the water will leak through the holes. The reason a Gortex lined coat like Aerostoch works is that the outside layer has to be able to shed water.
If you ride all day in rain, your hands without covers will always get wet. These are the ones I like the best right now.

http://www.digitalprovisions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FARKLEMASTER&Category_Code=RAINOFFGLOVES

worn properly your hands will stay dry from the rain. No affiliation etc.

I have a riding buddy who, being a cheap bastard and completely oblivious to style, has a very efficient but inelegant solution. He dons a pair of Playtex gloves over his riding gloves when the rain begins. Works flawlessly and meets his price point.

I have a riding buddy who, being a cheap bastard and completely oblivious to style, has a very efficient but inelegant solution. He dons a pair of Playtex gloves over his riding gloves when the rain begins. Works flawlessly and meets his price point.

When I was a motor officer, some of us would wear those too. :brow

Rubber Gloves as Overgloves

I have a friend who would don the rubber Playtex gloves over his motorcycle gloves each time it rained.

I always asked him, "Are you going to ride or clean the toilets?

Bill

Same problem!

I also have the summer pro 2 gloves purchased last year, they are very comfortable but suffer exactly as the original poster stated. When they get wet the leather stays wet and eventually the water feels like its coming through and they take forever to dry. Too bad because they are so comfortable. I will be looking for a different rain glow next time. The BMW Airflow gloves are also very comfortable and let lots of air in but are for dry weather only, I do recommend those.

Dave

Back