Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW's 100 year Anniversary Bike

dinandan

BMW's 100 year Anniversary Bike

Hello All,

I've been wondering this question ever since I saw BMW's 80 year anniversary Rockster.

Any Ideas what BMW's 100 year Anniversary bike will be???

I have some ideas but I thought I'd get some of the Club's input.

Thanks

Dan
    1983 CB450sc
    1983 R80RT
    1985 K100

If BMW uses this as inspiration I would buy two

Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    If BMW uses this as inspiration I would buy two

you know, if they designed the Cruiser to look like this, they would have sold a bajillion.

my vote for the bike:

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

100th Anniversary Bike

If they want to sell a bajillion, they should design the bike something like this. My 13 y.o. ready to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hmmmm... harley is spending all kinds of money to be relevant to people just a bit older than your son.

but i don't think it's working.

make sure your son keeps his leg away from that pipe!

Maybe an electric powered GS?

Quote Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
    Maybe an electric powered GS?
    with 2WD and CVT, all in a CF frame.

For what it's worth...

I think BMW has lost it's way. There is nothing distinctively "BMW" to make them instantly recognizable from UJMs. What happened to that bare-bones, "form follows function" Teutonic mindset that made the marque what it was? Too many industrial design school grads* with CAD surfacing-programs, and not enough nuts & bolts engineers, and managers that ride their own products and listen to their customers. Hr. de Waal being a notable exception.

I won't buy a new BMW, until 1) It is air-cooled - yeah, I know, emissions level are harder to attain - I don't care ... WORK ON IT! 2) I can maintain it myself and fix it with the on-board tool kit, 3) it doesn't have so much bodywork on it that it looks like a car, better yet, how 'bout no bodywork,4) it's shaft-driven, 5) and this is a big one ... it weighs less than 460 pounds wet, and 6) the biggest one ... it costs $6,000, or so.

Guess I'm stuck with my /5. Too bad I can't buy a new one, I'd like to.

I mean seriously, if Royal Enfield can continue to new sell motorcycles based on an upgraded, old design (EFI, electronic ignition, electric start) why not BMW?

My $.02USD (.016 ΤιΌ)

* I am an Industrial Designer.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

How about a classic updated version of the /2 series bike with an Oilhead engine?
    Kind of the iconic BMW so many of us are familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I won't buy a new BMW, until 1) It is air-cooled - yeah, I know, emissions level are harder to attain - I don't care ... WORK ON IT! 2) I can maintain it myself and fix it with the on-board tool kit, 3) it doesn't have so much bodywork on it that it looks like a car, better yet, how 'bout no bodywork,4) it's shaft-driven, 5) and this is a big one ... it weighs less than 460 pounds wet, and 6) the biggest one ... it costs $6,000, or so.

Guess I'm stuck with my /5. Too bad I can't buy a new one, I'd like to.

I mean seriously, if Royal Enfield can continue to new sell motorcycles based on an upgraded, old design (EFI, electronic ignition, electric start) why not BMW?

My $.02USD (.016 €)
    i think you need a used R11GS. seriously, it's close to what you say you want.

also, i am willing to be that BMW sells way more bikes than RE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    the biggest one ... it costs $6,000, or so.

Actually, this come pretty close to what you want, for 7K; http://www.imz-ural.com/solo.aspl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

bunkyone
    Hey all: Imagine this bike with a R1100 motor, 5 speed and ABS brakes. Add a large BMW gas tank, and bingo, this is what we want!! I could see this selling pretty darn well. (I can even see Ural selling a fair number of them at that price.) If only it had another twenty horse power.... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

criminaldesign
    a retread would be cool. triumph does well with the 'modern' bonnie's. an regular old airhead styled bike with fuel injection, dual front brakes and 800-1000cc.
    From Random

a regular old airhead styled bike with fuel injection, dual front brakes and 800-1000cc.
    Stiffen up the front forks a bit, update the alternator output and ... Bing-badda-BOOM!

Actually, this come pretty close to what you want,
    Actually, I already have what I want, I just want it "new" again.

And there's no reason it couldn't be manufactured in India either, they could nail it for 6 Large.
    Lew Morris
    1963 Dnepr

also, i am willing to be that BMW sells way more bikes than RE.

Not takin' that bet... I'd bet they do too. Which just means that if RE can do it on their 500cc twin, that BMW could get the price down to my price point as well.

Another reason I wouldn't buy a new BMW is because I could not service it myself, and my nearest dealer is almost 150 miles away. The reliability of these machines is what made the BMW name synonymous with dependable, long distance touring.

It's certainly why I bought my /5 in 1973. I could keep that thing running regardless of what the road threw at us.

But then maybe the average new "motorcyclist" isn't capable, or even interested, in maintaining anything as simple as an airhead ...

edit- a friend of mine did a business plan to determine if it would be possible to set up shop refurbishing old Airheads to "new" condition. Nope, too much legal (product liability) hassle was what killed it.
    Lew Morris
    1963 Dnepr