Thread: Other Benefits to MC Ownership

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Other Benefits to MC Ownership

I have just finished getting ready for Irene's arrival, scheduled for Saturday. The bike battery tender is a great way to keep the batt on the generator charged up and ready to go. Heidi, Hilda, and Pennsy are all fueled up giving me an additional ~18 gal of siphonable gas to what is available in the gas cans and the '65 Pontiac. Have you ever tried to get gas out of a newer vehicle? Plus, Pennsy gets such great mileage, I can toodle around on her for weeks without having to add fuel.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Sounds like you are prepared. Good Luck!

Storm Prem

Good luck Jim !

Welcome to what we have way too much experience with in Louisiana. Using the MC as a fuel storage is smart and I have done that in the past. As you are probably referring to, newer vehicles have tank systems designed to foil siphoning thefts, and it is very difficult to route a hose into many of them, so car tanks are not always a reliable source of fuel. It is usually easier to find the fuel line at the engine and use the electric lift pumps in most cars to get to that gas.

Here are some suggestions I just sent to friends in North Carolina who have never experienced a major hurricane:

1. The weather will deteriorate rapidly and heavy rain and street flooding will occur quickly without any warning at times. If you are in a coastal flood zone you need to get inland immediately or you can become trapped by the storm surge. Surge comes onshore very rapidly and surprises many people.

2. Based on the projected path, everyone should expect high winds and occasional unexpected extreme winds from the northeast, then clocking from the north as the storm center is abeam (90 degrees or due east in this case) , then as it moves north, it will clock over from the northwest.

3. All loose objects, garbage cans, pot plants, hanging baskets, lawn furniture, bird feeders, etc. should be tied down on the ground or brought close to or inside the house or buildings. Be sure to remember to remove lawn umbrellas from picnic tables outside. If you have wood fences and have time to do it, brace them on the south side to avoid blowdown that will occur due to wind loading over an extended time.

4. Plan on loss of power for at least 4 days and get batteries for radios, lamps etc. to cover that. Food should be able to be used without refrigeration or cooking, so ice chests are probably a very good idea. Bottled water is appropriate as it is not uncommon for trees falling over to break water lines all over the place. ATM Machines do not work without power and likewise credit card readers. Get some cash. Fill your vehicles with gas in case you need to go inland at some point after the storm for groceries, gas, air conditioned rooms etc.

5. Pay particular attention to the location of trees close to the northeast and north sides of the houses. The hot weather and dry conditions of this summer will cause a lot of trees to be blown down because they are stressed and the ground cannot hold them up. If the house is in the fall radius of a tree stay away from those rooms during the high winds. Considering the damage that we took around Baton Rouge with the same storm setup a couple of years ago, I would say that power outages of up to a week or more can be expected from the damage to the power grid that will occur, so plan food, water and ice chests accordingly.

6. Anyone with a generator should be careful to not run it inside a closed space attached to the home to avoid dying. We had at least 15 reported deaths from improper generator use last hurricane we had.

7. For those with a small generator of at least 2500 watts, a small window air conditioner is a godsend, because it will be very hot and humid after the storm passes, and it is miserable without one. That is why I invested in a whole house natural gas system after the last storm; a week without air here is horrible when it is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity.

Good luck to everybody, and stay safe.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

Doug,

Thanks for the tips reminders. Living right on the Chesapeake Bay, we get these storms on occasion, but not with the expected impact of Irene. Isabelle crippled this area several years ago and taught a lot of the transplanted locals a lesson. I was 1 of only 2 with a generator on my street which I purchased not due to summer storms but due to an ice storm a couple of years previously when we lost power for 4 days. We ended up being the local coffee house. We will see how many come out tomorrow.

In addition to the carbon monoxide issue, during Isabelle there were deaths resulting from house fires where folks attempted to refuel their generators while running and close to the house. A little gas splashing, hitting the muffler ...

Off to make final preps.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Darwin needs to work

Every time I see a laundry list of "things to do", I wonder what some of you have against natural selection.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Every time I see a laundry list of "things to do", I wonder what some of you have against natural selection.
    If she was running about 80-90 miles to the west, you might be able to tell us.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post

Good luck to everybody, and stay safe.
    you forgot the part about putting a big X on your picture window with masking tape.

true story: my family emigrated to the US from Germany in the 30s, being on the wrong side of the politics. They were sponsored into the US by Baron von Collier, of Collier County in Florida, which is essentially the Everglades. My grandfather was the city manager of Everglades City (today still a wide spot in the road).

That year, the storm of the century ran right over Everglades City, and that made a big impression on my dad, who was 4 years old at the time.

Fast forward 30+ years and Hurricane Donna. We lived in Hollywood, just bought a brand new house. To prepare for the storm, my dad went and bought a bunch of 3/4" plywood and made a whole system of shutters for the house. They could be easily installed, removed and stored in the garage.

The neighbors, as they used masking tape to make big X's in their windows asked my dad "don't you think you're going a little overboard here?"

Two days later, as everyone was picking up the glass and sweeping the water out of their houses, my dad and i took off the shutters and put them into the garage.

Moral of story: don't ever take hurricanes lightly.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom