Thread: R65 Kill Switch?

R65 Kill Switch?

I started the bike, then killed it, then tried to start it again. It crank and almost took off, then it quit and no lights were on.

I checked ignition switch: I get 12 V where I should (12.6), and continuity where I should with the switch in the "run" position.

According to Clymer, it looks like the kill switch is normally open and closes a ground circuit to disable ignition, starter, and lights when moved to "stop".

I get continuity through the kill switch in the "run" position, and none in "stop".

Am I reading the wiring diagram in Clymer wrong?

If I have 12V at the ignition switch, and the switch is making circuits, where else can I be losing continuity? (To EVERYTHING!)
    Rick Swauger

84 R65
    98 1100RT
    02 Kymco Cobra Racer

Progress

Apparently Clymer should show a normally closed kill switch.

I jumpered a few conectors and got the headlight relay to chatter. (I guess 12.6V through dirty terminals wasn't enough to close it.)

Pulled it out and gave it clean 12V, and it closed properly. It appears that the headlight relay also enables the starter switch/relay and all lights. Probably good to carry a spare!

Anyone use contact cleaner and compressed air to clean relays? (I think I'l get a new one and carry the old one for a spare.)
    Rick Swauger

84 R65
    98 1100RT
    02 Kymco Cobra Racer