• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R65 Kill Switch?

ROLLIFAHRER

I started the bike, then killed it, then tried to start it again. It crank and almost took off, then it quit and no lights were on.

I checked ignition switch: I get 12 V where I should (12.6), and continuity where I should with the switch in the "run" position.

According to Clymer, it looks like the kill switch is normally open and closes a ground circuit to disable ignition, starter, and lights when moved to "stop".

I get continuity through the kill switch in the "run" position, and none in "stop".

Am I reading the wiring diagram in Clymer wrong?

If I have 12V at the ignition switch, and the switch is making circuits, where else can I be losing continuity? (To EVERYTHING!)

Progress

Apparently Clymer should show a normally closed kill switch.

I jumpered a few conectors and got the headlight relay to chatter. (I guess 12.6V through dirty terminals wasn't enough to close it.)

Pulled it out and gave it clean 12V, and it closed properly. It appears that the headlight relay also enables the starter switch/relay and all lights. Probably good to carry a spare!

Anyone use contact cleaner and compressed air to clean relays? (I think I'l get a new one and carry the old one for a spare.)

Back