• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 f800st top case ideas?

R

r1100r

Just traded in my 99 r1100r for a 2010 f800st and just want to install a simple hard top case. I have the factory luggage rack installed on the tail but haven't warmed up to the factory saddle/panniers. Want to make sure it's waterproof. I looked at at the Givi top cases but they require their own rack I believe. Was kind of hoping there was something that could mount to my rack. Plus the Givi racks saythey are only for models up to 2009. Did something change for 2010?

Thanks

Thank you. How did you like the Givi v46 case? Do you have a picture of that. I do like the BMW large case you have now but trying not to spend too much $. $600 for a case is unaffordable, especially when I have some soft bags now that just strap on and work pretty well except when it rains (then I have to stop and put rain covers on them).

PS, you have a great looking bike and workshop. Currently I have 2 little kids under 4 and probably more on the way someday and its all I can do to stop them from leaning their bikes and scooters on my motorcycle!

Thanks

Honestly the GIVI is a better case. It is about 3lbs lighter, holds two full face helmets and is cheaper. The only reason I did this is because I wanted just "one key to rule them all". Also, I got the case cheap off a forum member here and the plate of ebay.

My wife and I travelled to Indy for the GP race and made a 3000 mile trip out of it. The GIVI holds a ton of stuff and you can put their rack on top of it to tie light stuff to it. I don't regret the swap but I do wish that I had kept the GIVI just incase so I had the option to go back if I wanted to.

I have the garage setup that way as there is only one car in the household. I have been carless for 6 years now. Here are a couple of pictures.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

If you don't want to spend a lot of money you could order a top box from J C Whitney; I don't know if they still have them or how much they are now but I think I paid around $60 probably over ten years ago and have used it on several bikes and it doesn't look too bad; I usually just put it on when I need it. It isn't as big as some but will hold a helmet; I usually just put light stuff in it.

Attachments

• topbox 002.jpg
    topbox 002.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 191
Thanks

Oiasghar, thanks for the pictures, that Givi case looks good, which is rare for something that can also hold a lot of stuff.

Rider, the JC Whitney case seems pretty good too, amazing actually if it is still only $60. Did it leak at all in the rain?

Thanks for the help, if I can hold out till Christmas I'll score the Givi V46, otherwise maybe the other.

No, it doesn't leak at all and has been in some hard rains. I don't know what the price is now. No doubt the Givi looks a lot better and holds a lot more but costs a lot more too

A friend had the JC Whitney case, and has recently replaced it with the Givi (Kappa). Without a doubt, the Whitney case is a good price, but the handle and locking mechanism take up a lot of what could be extra room in the box.

FWIW, these things are mounted behind you, meaning you can't see it when on the bike. I figure you might as well go for decent capacity (1-2 helmets or 1 helmet + jacket, etc.) seeing as the appearance is really someone else's problem. :D

JP

Riders, thanks so much. I checked out the case, your right, it actually is really nice. Sounds like a great option to me, and won't have to wait for a holiday to sneak it into the garage!

Jopars, ur right, who cares what it looks like when its behind me, as long as I'm on the open road and enjoying the ride in front of me!

I just looked on Jc Whitney's site and it is $60 and looks better
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx?filterid=c14523o40j3

I have a Whitney bag on my GSA. Comes with the mounting brackets, and right now, I think there's free shipping. A GIVI top rack was installed on mine, as well as a BMW rondel. My bag has worked perfectly, flawlessly, on my bike(s) for the past 6 years, and it's absolutely watertight.

It'll work, and looks great (the style listed in the quote above), and I could not determine any reason that I should chose The GIVI over the Whitney topcase.

Larry

Here's a cell phone photo of a Hepco & Becker set up on my ST. 30 ltr. side bags and 40 ltr. top case.

Attachments

• Moet in Durango.jpg
    Moet in Durango.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 130
Wow, HUD, that tail case looks very low profile, I'll have to check it out. Gonna need something real soon, used a back pack today to go get some groceries for the kids and was afraid the chicken juice was gonna leak thru!

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Mount for Generic Top Case

My ST has a generic top case that came with it upon purchase last year. It bolts to the rack which makes it a pain to remove and re-install. I'm looking for a mounting setup that will allow quick on and off. Any ideas?

You should be able to find a BMW 28 litre box used, if you keep an eye on the flea market section of the various bike forums. I have the GT rather than the ST, but it locks right to the rear rack with no additional hardware.

Back