• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CanAm

podsobinski

Just to throw this out, wouldn't it be a good match to put that 1600 engine in something like the CanAm for us old farts. The CanAm especially the RT looks great but seems like the V-twin engine is underpowered for all that weight. A three wheeled machine with that engine and the BMW engineers could create a winner!

While it might not keep up with the K1200's, K1300's, etc, the Can Am Spyder RT is not underpowered. JMO We traveled to Glacier and Yellowstone this summer, pulling a trailer, and had no trouble passing cars on the slab or in the mountains.

The only obvious negative to me of the Spyder motor is the absolutely terible fuel economy that makes it more expensive to run than, for example, a BMW 5 series that will get about 30 mpg in highway use compared to the reported high 20s for the Spyder.
I understand the attraction if one's 2 wheel days are over but otherwise if I'm going to burn that much, it will have 4 wheels

The only obvious negative to me of the Spyder motor is the absolutely terible fuel economy that makes it more expensive to run than, for example, a BMW 5 series that will get about 30 mpg in highway use compared to the reported high 20s for the Spyder.
I understand the attraction if one's 2 wheel days are over but otherwise if I'm going to burn that much, it will have 4 wheels

I agree. Fuel economy is pretty bad. During our 4,600 mile trip we had a low of 25 mpg up to about 33-34 mpg. Depended upon speed mostly. Moving the Spyder is like pushing a barn door through the air.

I agree. Fuel economy is pretty bad. During our 4,600 mile trip we had a low of 25 mpg up to about 33-34 mpg. Depended upon speed mostly. Moving the Spyder is like pushing a barn door through the air.

I talked with the dealer on Saturday during the Back of the Dragon Day. He said fuel mileage was the biggest but one of the few complaints they got. I asked him about the difficulty of adjusting to the bike not leaning. He said that was a problem for some but the bike wasn't marketed to the current motorcycle rider. It is marketed for those that have not ridden motorcycles before or in the recent past.

Part of that poor fuel mileage has to come from using an under-sized, under-powered engine (under 1 liter) in this size vehicle. But as BRP owns Rotax, that's where the engines are gonna come from.

Beyond that, my dealer tells me there is a regular stream of stop-sale orders and recalls on the CanAms for software updates and parts replacements. No thanks...

Back