• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Golden Road,Maine

aa3jy

I'm sitting here in Greenville ,ME and asking the local experts if one can ride the around Moosehead Lake via parts of the Golden Road. Some say sure you can and then showed me the route to take. While others say no motorcycles allowed. But one thing they are in common with..Beware of the the logging trucks! This road is privately owned by the paper companies and the logging trucks basically have the right of way.

But wait I just found an article about the Harley's Owner Group (HOG) having been allowed on the Golden Road..

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/07/18/news/harley-owners-hit-golden-road-for-1st-ride/

..well BMW MOA why not put together a ride???????

I don't take "No" for an answer..

Well..to answer my own inquiry..I was looking for a Maine expert..in particular on the Golden Road around Moosehead Lake. This is one hell of a road! Right up there with Alaska's Dalton Road. First it's a private road owned by:

http://americanloggers.com/

Second motorcycles are not permitted on it. However I was allowed from Kokadjo to Pittston Farms down to Rockwood about 250 miles of logging roads. When I say logging roads I mean the logging trucks have the right of way..no bones about!! And the scenery.well.. .it's just out of this world! Other than the logging there's not much else go'n on if your not into fishing or hunting.

Recommend carrying a second set of tires..the stones are sharp where the logging trucks are kicking up stones around corners. There is no cell phone coverage in this area what so ever. If you depart the road in an accident it would be awhile for you to be found. Advise carrying either a EPIRB or Sat phone. You are truly in wilderness!

Carry extra gas 'cause there is none for about 75 miles. Expect to complete this portion in about 8-10 hours depending on weather and road conditions.

Bottom line have fun and be safe

Last edited:
If a bunch of HD's navigated this road how bad can it be?

My understanding in regards to the article their route was different than mine. They where allowed into Baxter State Park which is definitely forbotten to m/c's. I was allowed on a different portion of the road which was not leading into the State Park. This portion from Millinocket, which the article describes the ride, is the east entrance into Baxter State Park it is maintained for the tourists traveling by car, truck or RV to gain access to Mt. Katatadin recreational area(s). The portion that I was allowed on is primitive and barely maintained is on the west side of Baxter State Park leading away towards points west and and Canada. These are truly Wilderness areas which the Golden Road leads thru..

Update..this series was being shown while I got back to civilization. The two are annoying..but gives an idea as to the type of wilderness..

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dual-survival/

Look for the 'Road to No where' episode

Last edited:
Back