Thread: What can I use to cover exposed wiring on a wiring harness?

What can I use to cover exposed wiring on a wiring harness?

The rubber(?) that protects the individual wires on my wiring harness has started to deteriorate in a place that's directly exposed to weather. I'd normally use a heat shrink on something like this, but don't want to disassemble half the electrical system to do it. Any suggestions on a good product? I'd like to do a professional job, watertight, so I don't want to simply wrap it with electrical tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Rally Rat
    Heat shrink tape !!!

Available at a lot of electrical supply houses or Granger stores.

You may also want to try the split corugated cable cover pieces. Secure with rubber electrical tape.

Tom hit it on the head, just follow his advice, that is what I would do.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip, I have the same problem with my '99 K1200RS with 110,000 miles on it.

Be very careful when shrinking the tape - the insulation on the wires is rubber, and if you heat that too, you'll be creating a lot of bare wires.

Also - just spotted this post from USBYGS - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=55281
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 08-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.

I had that problem on my '03 R1150R, I went down to a bicycle shop and got an old inner tube. I cut it in whatever lengths I needed, slit it down the middle and wrapped the areas That were coming apart. I secured it using a combinatin of tie wraps and electrical tape. It'll last a lot longer than the crappy BMW stuff.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Heat shrink tape... that's the ticket. Thanks for the advice, gents. Pulling the tank off will allow better access, and I'll bet there's more wire harness gremlins under the tank area too.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

On the Road
    I had that problem with the cover over all the wiring leading to the handlebar switches and thought almost anything I did looked like a home repair. One day, I was in JP Cycles' Daytona store with a friend and discovered some longitudinally spit wire loom cover that looks extremely nice. It has a "knit fabric" kind of look that looks much neater than the wrap you get most other places. I'm sure its available in their online catalogue.

Last edited by Jade; 08-21-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: to add picture.

The brush on electrical tape works well,along with a piece of split loom plastic wire harness tube. I had a GTS1000 that got that treatment many years ago.

Perrry
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS:

I would use Rescue Tape.
    ----------
    The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    The rubber(?) that protects the individual wires on my wiring harness has started to deteriorate in a place that's directly exposed to weather. I'd normally use a heat shrink on something like this, but don't want to disassemble half the electrical system to do it. Any suggestions on a good product? I'd like to do a professional job, watertight, so I don't want to simply wrap it with electrical tape.
    Buy a new bike!!!!!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    I had that problem with the cover over all the wiring leading to the handlebar switches and thought almost anything I did looked like a home repair. One day, I was in JP Cycles' Daytona store with a friend and discovered some longitudinally spit wire loom cover that looks extremely nice. It has a "knit fabric" kind of look that looks much neater than the wrap you get most other places. I'm sure its available in their online catalogue.

That's what I use for existing wiring. It saves me the hassle of breaking connections to slip heat shrink or solid wire loom material over the wires, though if I am making a new wire run I use the non-split stuff. Both are available at Whitehorsepress.com, a long-time supporter of us two wheel fans.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/