• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What can I use to cover exposed wiring on a wiring harness?

beemermyke

The rubber(?) that protects the individual wires on my wiring harness has started to deteriorate in a place that's directly exposed to weather. I'd normally use a heat shrink on something like this, but don't want to disassemble half the electrical system to do it. Any suggestions on a good product? I'd like to do a professional job, watertight, so I don't want to simply wrap it with electrical tape.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 241
Heat shrink tape !!!

Available at a lot of electrical supply houses or Granger stores.

You may also want to try the split corugated cable cover pieces. Secure with rubber electrical tape.

I had that problem on my '03 R1150R, I went down to a bicycle shop and got an old inner tube. I cut it in whatever lengths I needed, slit it down the middle and wrapped the areas That were coming apart. I secured it using a combinatin of tie wraps and electrical tape. It'll last a lot longer than the crappy BMW stuff.

Heat shrink tape... that's the ticket. Thanks for the advice, gents. Pulling the tank off will allow better access, and I'll bet there's more wire harness gremlins under the tank area too.

I had that problem with the cover over all the wiring leading to the handlebar switches and thought almost anything I did looked like a home repair. One day, I was in JP Cycles' Daytona store with a friend and discovered some longitudinally spit wire loom cover that looks extremely nice. It has a "knit fabric" kind of look that looks much neater than the wrap you get most other places. I'm sure its available in their online catalogue.

2yn4c9g.jpg

Last edited:
The brush on electrical tape works well,along with a piece of split loom plastic wire harness tube. I had a GTS1000 that got that treatment many years ago.

Perrry

The rubber(?) that protects the individual wires on my wiring harness has started to deteriorate in a place that's directly exposed to weather. I'd normally use a heat shrink on something like this, but don't want to disassemble half the electrical system to do it. Any suggestions on a good product? I'd like to do a professional job, watertight, so I don't want to simply wrap it with electrical tape.

Buy a new bike!!!!!

I had that problem with the cover over all the wiring leading to the handlebar switches and thought almost anything I did looked like a home repair. One day, I was in JP Cycles' Daytona store with a friend and discovered some longitudinally spit wire loom cover that looks extremely nice. It has a "knit fabric" kind of look that looks much neater than the wrap you get most other places. I'm sure its available in their online catalogue.

2yn4c9g.jpg

That's what I use for existing wiring. It saves me the hassle of breaking connections to slip heat shrink or solid wire loom material over the wires, though if I am making a new wire run I use the non-split stuff. Both are available at Whitehorsepress.com, a long-time supporter of us two wheel fans.

Back