• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600 head to head with Goldwing

humerous flame?

I have owned lots of different kinds of motorcycles. What I wanted in a bike changes sometimes. When I bought the GW I just wanted something that was just gas oil and ride. Little mantaince chores. It was that at least until I found out changing the air filter cost about $300 at the dealer or a full day of taking off plastic pieces.

Maybe the key to mc satisfaction is being sure what you really want in a bike and finding one that meets that need. Unfortunately sometimes lust sets in and on impulse we buy something we really want now that we soon become dissatisfied with.

I haven't ridden the K1600LT. Probably wouldn't be a good idea. That lust thing you know. But if you are a GW rider that wants a somewhat stronger, faster, newer, It may the bike for you.

Frame cracks, of course, were problems Wings HAD, but Honda SOLVED in 2004. 2012 Wing owners report a much improved front suspension (though not as good as Traxxion) and updated electronics with iPod input, etc. It keeps evolving. I, too, worry about the lust thing, and admit it is one of the reasons I have not ridden the new BMW. But, the main reason is the similarity of the rear seat to that of the RT, which just does not compare to the Wing, and the fact that all those "bugs" have already been worked out. Both great bikes, though. If I only had a bigger garage..........

not to make this an honda bash.....but

First of all the only problem I ever had with the Goldwing was a defective latch on the trunk. Fixed under warranty. I always shifted it like a BMW. Slight pressure up, pull the clutch, don't jam the shift lever and I never had any problem with the transmission.

That being said, I now know two GW riders who had to have their transmissions rebuilt. One twice before the problem was fixed. The other is in for tranny job now.

Think I would rather take a chance on a final drive, not that we have been hearing much about them lately, than a transmission repair that would cost megabucks out of warranty.

Since this is a comparison thread. I think the Wing looks old. I really like the looks of the 1600GTL.

The GTL is clearly not an LT, and is just as clearly not trying to be a Goldwing. Just a quick look at the bike will tell you that. A more interesting matchup would be with the Concours 14 and the FJR 13. Everyone who has ridden one understands that it is a replacement for the K13GT.

Still, I was amazed that MCN chose the GW engine over the K16. I had a brief ride on a friend's GTL (in Germany) a couple weeks ago and it just simply flies. I didn't notice any of the driveline snatch that MCN was going on about.

Check out the K16GT vs Concours 14 comparison in the latest MCN. K16GT preferred in 9 out of 11 categories. Hard to overlook the $9k price difference tho.

Your not going to get Honda riders off their Goldwings or Harley riders off their Ultra Classics. They are as didicated to their clubs and brands as we are. Any comparison of these bikes for all practical purposes is illrelevent. Their happy, we're happy. :brow

Your not going to get Harley riders off their Ultra Classics. They are as didicated to their clubs and brands as we are. Any comparison of these bikes for all practical purposes is illrelevent. Their happy, we're happy. :brow

In 15 years, I rode 4 different electra glides just over 310,000 miles.
I was happy on them all.
HD makes a good motorcycle.
Then I made the mistake of demo riding a R1200GS on the street.
My lord, I forgot how much fun riding a motorcycle was.
Traded the E-Glide in on an r12gs, bought a r11rt for a while, bought a r1150rt for a while, traded it in on a f650gs.
Now have 2 gs's in the garage.
And I'm happy. :)
max

I just got off of my GL1800 after 4 years of blissful riding mostdays year round unless there was snow or ice on the road. I never thought I would want anything else, then, the K1600 came along. WOW! DonÔÇÖt get me wrong. I loved my Wing and I am a young rider who loves to spend time in the twisties, no itÔÇÖs not a CBR , GSXR etc.. but for all day riding I thought it did whatever I asked of it and did it well.

IÔÇÖd never had a BMW before and I picked up my new GTL two weeks ago and have been impressed every day since. My wife thinks it actually rides a little better than the wing as she never gets airborne on the bumps like she did on the wing and she can see better as she sits a little higher. She liked the grab handles on the wing better but I think sheÔÇÖs getting used to the new ones. The only places the GTL comes up short compared to the wing for me is cruising on the highway at speeds greater than 80mph, itÔÇÖs just not the same, which is probably good as my cruising speed has dropped by 5 or 10 mph. The other thing is the stock windshield in the rain; I never really got wet with the wing and with the GTL If I have the shield just bellow my line of sight I get a shower. I donÔÇÖt like looking though the shield so I donÔÇÖt think IÔÇÖll be changing it out and I love the adjustability on the fly, way too cool. It is much more like a sport tour but with all of the conveniences of the larger touring bikes.

Shuberth helmets donÔÇÖt fit my head but it didnÔÇÖt stop me from buying the bike.

GL v K16GTL

I traded my 2010 GL1800 about a month ago for my new dark blue K16GTL I would agree with other comments about the difference between a Lincoln Touring car and my BMW 550i. I enjoyed the Wing, but the K bike has put the fun back in motorcycling for me. My past includes about 8 H-Ds, 2 R1150GS, a KLT, R1100RT, 2 Wings, Triumphs and a Norton or two in my 45 years of riding. I loved them all especially the GSs. The K16GTL is my ideal bike at this stage of my life; blistering torque (blew off a Corvette the other day in "sport" and "dynamic") and pretty comfortable for long distances and just a real hoot to ride. Plus, it's styling is very eye catching. My sweet wife likes it, too. Happy wife, happy life.

"to sell mags you need controversy"...40624

These articles on mismatched machines always remind me of the first one that was ever done: Car and Driver's comparison, in their March 1964 issue, of the Ferrari GTO and Pontiac GTO. That really put the magazine on the map.

These articles on mismatched machines always remind me of the first one that was ever done: Car and Driver's comparison, in their March 1964 issue, of the Ferrari GTO and Pontiac GTO. That really put the magazine on the map.

Mismatched indeed ...

... this about like comparing a Porsche Panamera and a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Mismatched indeed ...

... this about like comparing a Porsche Panamera and a Toyota Land Cruiser.

It depends on WHERE the comparison is done. Take the cars to the places the Land Cruiser is designed to be used in and the Panamera will not show any qualities.

It isn't apples and oranges. It is BMW's new take on touring versus Honda's existing take.

You probably wouldn't say a comparison between a Camry and a Mercedes S-class was not apples and oranges. Yet, they both can easily be called "cars for touring."

Yet you would between the Honda and the BMW.

A Honda is a Toyota
A Harley is a Chevy
A BMW is a BMW.

Three mutually exclusive cultures and concepts.

It's OK to choose the one that fits you best.

It's not realistic to consider them similar tools.

Well, then there's this ...

... While neither Toyota or Chevy can command BMW prices, it appears Honda at times can and Harley for sure does. Ain't marketing grand?

I don't have a dog in this one- the 1600 isn't my kind of bike. Too big, too heavy, too complex for simple maintenance. I'm more intersted in seeing where the boxer bikes are going and hoping someone will bring back some more versatile middleweights.

Not too big and heavy for me, but I agree with the comment on maintenance. I think BMW should reevaluate it's design philosophy in that they should make their bikes easier to live with. When you look at the average car, all you have to do is change the oil and add fuel. Somehow this is lost on BMW. It hasn't been lost with Japanese bike manufacturers (or some American ones either).

Check out the K16GT vs Concours 14 comparison in the latest MCN. K16GT preferred in 9 out of 11 categories. Hard to overlook the $9k price difference tho.

The GT is roomier though. The Concours needs ergonomic adjustments to equal a stock GT or RT. FWIW, the RT is cramped for me.

You probably wouldn't say a comparison between a Camry and a Mercedes S-class was not apples and oranges. Yet, they both can easily be called "cars for touring."

Yet you would between the Honda and the BMW.

A Honda is a Toyota
A Harley is a Chevy
A BMW is a BMW.

Three mutually exclusive cultures and concepts.

It's OK to choose the one that fits you best.

It's not realistic to consider them similar tools.

Well, then there's this ...

... While neither Toyota or Chevy can command BMW prices, it appears Honda at times can and Harley for sure does. Ain't marketing grand?

At some point it's just about getting your face in the wind. To put it another way, I really like 18 year old Macallan, but Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark works just as well for every day use and won't break the bank. I still like Macallan best though...

As far as I'm concerned, there's no comparison to be made between these bikes. The GTL is in a class all by itself. If BMW wants to compete with the GW then they need to get busy and either rebuild the GTL or just start from scratch and build a better LT. If they do then Honda will most likely finally add a power windshield...That would put em back on top of the list for LD, big assed touring rigs.

For now, I have a 2010 RT which I'm thinking of either selling or trading for a GTL. Honestly, I miss my 2002 LT. :banghead

For now, I have a 2010 RT which I'm thinking of either selling or trading for a GTL. Honestly, I miss my 2002 LT. :banghead

Let me make a prediction: If you come from an RT, you may not like the GTL. You may love the GT, however. It may not look like it, but the two models are different enough.

Let me make a prediction: If you come from an RT, you may not like the GTL. You may love the GT, however. It may not look like it, but the two models are different enough.

It's too late. I rode my buddy's GTL for about an hour and I'm done. More room, storage, better wind protection, more relaxed riding position, better stock seat, less vibration... shall I go on? I'm going out west for my retirement ride in June and my wife will join me in Denver. I need more bike than the RT can offer unless I spend $$ on it.

Back