• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buying out of state

ANDYVH

My brother is looking to buy a BMW bike out of state. He plans to fly out to the seller's location and buy the bike and ride it home. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what are the procedures/issues/cautions/laws, for a bike from Waqshington state to Wisconsin? I bet some issues are:
1. Get the VIN number from the seller to to able to get a Wisconsin license plate. Fly to seller location with the new license plate in hand.
2. Pay the sales tax in the state of sale or state of licensing?
3. Obtain the title upon paying for the bike, and then transfer the title when in Wisconsin? Title must be signed to buyer to move the bike across state lines.
4. Insurance coverage for the trip from WA to WI, again dependent on getting the VIN.
5. Do a VIN search to assure the bike is clear in the seller's hands.
6. Get some maintenance history on the bike from the seller and/or local dealer.

So what other things to consider and plan for?

Hi, Andy,
I have bought a number of bikes out-of-state and ridden them home - to Texas. I know what to do in Texas, not what to do in Wisconsin!

I would contact your tax or licensing office and ask about a paper plate. I can get one good for 30 days for $25. I need the VIN and insurance for this. The VIN comes from the seller and, once you have it, your insurance co. should issue a policy. Mine will.

If you pay with anything but cash, don't expect to have the title until the check has cleared. Were it me, I would be prepared to hand over a wad of Benjamins. If there is a lien, both of you go to the bank to make sure the lien is paid off. If the llienholder is not local, you need to decide how to handle it.

You don't need the signed title with the paper plate, but you should have a bill-of-sale from the seller to you. I would go so far as to have it notarized. You also need proof of insurance.

Your home state will hit you for "use tax", the equivalent of sales tax.

Good Luck!

I bought a car out of state once and had to go to a state "Tag Station" to transfer ownership. Sales tax was due at the tag station. When I got home I preseted all of the paperwork I got from the tag station and then got a surprise.......... I had to pay more sales tax. In my case NY wanted the difference between their tax rate and that of PA. which was lower. As you have already been advised, call your state department of motor vehicles and ask them what the rules are, avoid surprises.

Every state is different so you need to check with your state. If your brother already has a motorcycle with insurance, additional vehicles are normally covered for 30 days when they are purchased. Otherwise, the insurance can bought with the id # of the bike. I have bought both cars and motorcycles from out of state and each time, I took them home with the tags of the prior owner and simply mailed the tags back to them. Taxes are normally owed to the state where you title the vehicle and it is due at the time the title is transferred.

I wouldn't worry a bit about the "plate" required to get home.

The selling dealer will provide something if that's where you purchase, but it's mostly just a plastic covering for the paperwork that might screw to the rear fender. You can do this with a private sale, too, or even just leave the rear fender blank--what's important is you have the "bill of sale" papers at hand. It's pretty common knowledge to any "authorities" that your local MVD back home will need to see the bike and paperwork before they give you a metal plate.

Recently I got myself to Lewiston, WA, to ferry an R1100RT back home to ABQ and had zero problems with any of it. Highway patrol did NOT do a U-turn to check me out or anything like that--the big thing is likely to drive sensibly, etc. Same thing with a recent trip from Cincinnatti with a BMW Multi Trailer--no plate on back, no hassles. Getting stopped for a "paperwork check" in any event is no big deal, but it's seldom a priority thing with authorities.

Don't overthink this--no matter where you are, the main thing is to leave with the signed-over title for the purchase and perhaps additionally a bill of sale form. Best preplanning would be to ensure the seller has that and any liens (loans) on the bike can be taken care of easily and completely before you leave. The VIN on the bike needs to match the paperwork, of course.

What you do at the seller's location is what counts--worry about your home location only when you get back. If there's a lien thing, that would be the most productive thing to explore before leaving, i.e. get the loan number, agency, etc., and call them--you want to make sure your payment goes to them and not the seller first, because they are the owner. So, ask them how to do it.

I don't think you stated if a dealer transaction, but they can be a pain too. Especially if a financial institution is involved. The DMV website of the 2 states involved will usually tell the story, but a call to your local clerk may help as already said. As to mailing the plates, sometimes they stay with the vehicle and others they do not. I have always been curious as to how people "protect their plates" from pictures as they are in full public view on the road! In transporting vehicle with anothers plates I try to be very cautious as it is not in your name yet & so really illegal in fact, but many of us do it. Greenwald has taken this topic before to explanation, as I recall.

i bought a '73 volvo p1800es in oregon and drove it back to new york

how dumb is that to buy a 30 some year old car with 175k mi sight unseen and then drive it across the country?

..well ,it woulda been dumb if it broke but it didn't.
anyway, i had the oregon title and my own insurance. .drove home with the seller's plates and registration... marginally legal i suppose, but no problem.

got ny plates/reg after getting home.

my wife's comment upon seeing the car,

"it sure is orange."

btw, the machine is bullet proof. (225k mi now)

std_1973_volvo_1800es_sport_wagon-svl_max_.jpg

Thanks for all the input!

By the way, WAY cool P1800! I have always liked the Volvo P1800, especially done up as a retro sports coupe or wagon.

Headed out this morning

I am headed to Atlanta to pick up a K bike I bought on ebay. I love all the guys who suggest that you call the DMV. I called 3 times and got 3 answers to how I should proceed.

I finally gave up and am doing it the way that "makes sense". It might not be technically legal, but I figure most cops are pretty level-headed and will only want to insure that the bike is not stolen and that it is insured.

I have my proof of insurance and I will have a notarized title.

No problems

I rode back from Atlanta to Wilmington with zero problems. I was passed and passed by several LEO and none took a second look at my paper tag,"License Applied For".

Now for some new tires and a trip to deliver the bike to my son who is itching to ride.

I rode back from Atlanta to Wilmington with zero problems. I was passed and passed by several LEO and none took a second look at my paper tag,"License Applied For".

Now for some new tires and a trip to deliver the bike to my son who is itching to ride.

How about some tie downs first, the anti hurricane ones. You'd been better off staying in Atlanta for a while, given the weather coming up the coast. Good luck with the new machine and the weather.

False alarm

How about some tie downs first, the anti hurricane ones. You'd been better off staying in Atlanta for a while, given the weather coming up the coast. Good luck with the new machine and the weather.

Stop watching the talking weather nerds and look at the maps. There will be zero problems here; but we are having a hurricane party. i am headed to the liquor store now.

The only thing I'll add is check with your state's DMV to see if the title needs to be notarized. Here in AZ it does, but on out-of-state sales it's determined by the rules in the seller's state. I've purchased out-of-state twice--one state required notarized, one didn't. I didn't have any trouble registering either in AZ.

Stop watching the talking weather nerds and look at the maps. There will be zero problems here; but we are having a hurricane party. i am headed to the liquor store now.

I'll quit looking at TV and you can look at this statement...before you drink your findings from the liquor store...nail your plywood on the shack and then check this out from TWC:

"Hurricane Watches Issued in Carolinas

Evacuations have begun in the Carolinas. Irene is a large, powerful, and destructive storm. Please listen to your local officials instructions and evacuate immediately if ordered."

Hope it misses you, that will show those TV nerds a thing or two.

Back