• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

97 650ST Funduro

A friend of mine is selling a F650ST Funduro 1997 with 9k miles. I am tempted to buy it but can't find any online to compare it with for price/value. They have an unusual, rather odd design that you either find ugly or interesting and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I would value anyones opinion about this particular model. Good bike, uncommon model, hard to re-sell, etc. ?
Thanks for your response.
GC in SD::banghead

A friend of mine is selling a F650ST Funduro 1997 with 9k miles. I am tempted to buy it but can't find any online to compare it with for price/value. They have an unusual, rather odd design that you either find ugly or interesting and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I would value anyones opinion about this particular model. Good bike, uncommon model, hard to re-sell, etc. ?
Thanks for your response.
GC in SD::banghead

That's is a good price even better beacuse you know the guy and might possible know the back ground of the bike
i am looking to buy for about that price myself soon My wife has a 2000 f 650 and i find i like the bike allot

If you don't buy it I will! It is a great commuter bike, easy to work on as well. I sold my 97 ST to buy my current bike, I really regret letting it go. Mine had 40 k on it and I sold it for 2700.

F650 st

I have owned a 1997 F650ST for 3 1/2 years. I bought it from someone who rarely rode it, he had other bikes and cars. It only had 970 miles in 2008 and it only has 3,100 miles now.

I am amazed that it would only sell for $2,500 now. 9,000 miles on that bike is really young.

It is a very easy bike to ride. My only complaints were the stock seat (which I fixed with a rebuilt seat from Mr. Ed's Moto, in the photo), the ST is tuned more for the street (duh) - I thought it would have more thumper like torque.

I still plan to do a moderate conversion to make it usable off the pavement. I found some dual sport type tires for it. But I primarily use it for short pavement trips.

Sometimes when I look at it I think it is odd looking, especially when it is parked near more modern bikes. But I like bikes that are a little different.

If you search around the web for F650 info., you may find the story about the man that designed this bike for BMW. I think the story goes that BMW automotive was having an internal contest to design the Z3 sports car. They opened it up to the motorcycle people also. Well, the guy that designed the ST won - his design is the design used for the Z3.

Guess I will have to keep my ST. If good ones are selling for only $2,500, I would really be taking a bath. :mad:(

Attachments

• MrEdsSeat.jpg
    MrEdsSeat.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 49
I had a '97 ST for a few years. 2001-2005. Bought it with 17,000 sold it with 52,000 miles.
I had a local mechanic lace up a 19" excel rim on the front. Had to replace the mount that holds the fender and do some minor welding, but the tire options are a lot better with a 19" front.
Don't pack anything over the voltage regulator/rectifier thingy. It gets hot. And won't work.

97 Funduro

Appreciate your comments and info about it's design. I like your red bike and the seat looks like an upgrade. I ended up buying a 92 K75S but still may spring for the Funduro.
Thanks again!
:wave

Back