Thread: 2009 R1200GS - side stand support bolt

2009 R1200GS - side stand support bolt

Hi All -

I need/want to replace the side stand support bolt on my GS, it's gotten rather wobbly over the years. However, it would seem the OEM part for mine has been super-ceded by a new part. That new part does not seem to work, does anyone know if I need to replace the internal bushing as well? The wider "collar" on the head of the new bolt seems to hit the bushing before it can engage the threads.

I have queried a dealer on this and gotten no response.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Kharon

It could be that the bushing is just flared inward by the old, worn bolt. I'd replace everything you can. Bolt, bushing, and the collar bushings if your bike has them.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Have replaced mine on 09 and a few same range models. Looked at fiche (Max's) and saw no supersedes, but could be.
    I replace all the parts as Anton suggests as if the pin is worn, the adjacent bushings are most likely as well.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Have replaced mine on 09 and a few same range models. Looked at fiche (Max's) and saw no supersedes, but could be.
    I replace all the parts as Anton suggests as if the pin is worn, the adjacent bushings are most likely as well.
    Here is a pic showing the original bolt I have (circled in red) and the new one. It is the head of the new bolt that seems to be preventing it from engaging the threads.

SideStand.png

It is also not clear from the parts fiche if I need the collar bushings or not.

Thanks all.

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khathaway View Post
    Here is a pic showing the original bolt I have (circled in red) and the new one. It is the head of the new bolt that seems to be preventing it from engaging the threads.

SideStand.png

It is also not clear from the parts fiche if I need the collar bushings or not.

Thanks all.
    have a look at the 05-07 model GS side stand parts...it appears to look like your parts...

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...6&rnd=07242017 46 - frame, fairing, cases...side stand
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    have a look at the 05-07 model GS side stand parts...it appears to look like your parts...

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...6&rnd=07242017 46 - frame, fairing, cases...side stand
    It is, of course, ever so slightly off. I'm gonna order all the new parts and pieces, short of a new side stand, and see how it goes. My side stand has too much play in it at this point.

Cheers!

Update on this issue: Got all the new parts and upon doing the install I discovered that if you are going from the 2006-2008 style bolt to the new one, you will not need the slide bushing/bearing as the new style bolt incorporates that into the design. So, now to return that $15 part!

Side stand has much less play in it with the new parts.

Cheers!