• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R850R MPG fix?

heybiker

Mine is a 96 and less than 9K (sat up for years) and I was wondering what I can do to improve mileage. I try to stay below 60 on back roads and under 75 on the slab. It seems to be around 38 or so and 32 hwy. I am guessing clogged exhaust or just not designed for high speed riding.

At 9000 miles it may not been broken in. Still I think a tune up is the first step. Replace the spark plugs and air cleaner, adjust the valves. balance the throttle bodies; add some fuel injector cleaner to a tank of gas . Then see if the fuel consumption improves. Also a naked motorcycle and rider has miserable aerodynamics. For what it is worth I installed a Hannigan faring on my 95 R1100R and consistently return 48mpg on Virginia's back roads.
regards,
Mark

Mine is a 96 and less than 9K (sat up for years) and I was wondering what I can do to improve mileage. I try to stay below 60 on back roads and under 75 on the slab. It seems to be around 38 or so and 32 hwy. I am guessing clogged exhaust or just not designed for high speed riding.

i am guessing NO on both counts.
BMWs are geared for high speed cruising, and should get in the mid to upper 40's. frequent starts & stops kills my mileage, steady cruising speeds returns the best mpg. (that, and running at high altitude).
exhaust rarely, if ever, get "clogged", although catalytic converters can fail- but incredibly unlikely at only 9K miles.

check condition of rubber seals (bike running, spray carb or FI cleaner at any possible opening on the TBs), valve adjustment, etc.

I'm not specifically familiar with the 850, but - do you have a TPS? Every bike I've done a careful "Zero=Zero" procedure on instantly got better mileage. Find the how-to on the Internet BMW Riders page, IBMWR.org.

If anything was clogged, I'd guess the air filter. Tight valves will also hurt the mileage; the factory spec is typically too tight.

My 97 850R got about 38 to 42 mpg. Mine had 65k on it. You get my vote for the bike needing more break in time also. I had a 2006 Triumph Tiger I bought new. I only got 38 to 42 with it til I had about 14k on it.Then the mpg went to about 48 to 53.

Just ride the 850 and enjoy it...I wish I still had mine,it was my first boxer:heart

Perry

Back