• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nova Scotia 2011

nice pictures - looks like we went to some of the same places
you even got Donna and me in there.:)
was a bit wet that week.

Marty

Nova Scotia

yes I think there was a couple of pic of you two, there was a bit of rain temps were a little below normal as well, i have been telling my wife that at some point where going to have to ride through some rain well she got a taste of that, great pictures i wish mine look as nice, glad to see you made it home safe, did your wife fly back as well?

Thanks for the pics. No 168 taken by the Red Barn brings back fond memories as this road heads up to St Joseph du Moine and Cheticamp. Fun road on a bike. Some sections can be more of a challenge in a car.

We're hoping to spend at least one month of "relaxation time" in Cape Breton next summer.

Both June and July were cooler and wetter then average this year.

traditionally a wet time of year here in NS. Can be pleasant but the weather can change in an instant. I tend to enjoy September much more. Fewer tourists, fewer black flies, weather tends to be pleasant (ie less rain). - Bob

@Tourunigo: I enjoyed Halifax, Peggys Cove and Baddeck. I also enjoyed riding along the St. Lawrence from Quebec. Have you ever ridden along the coast of NB? I was thinking a trip along the coast from the river all the way to NS might be quite a trip. The stretch between Quebec to Saint John is quite a big slab. Road is in great shape but long and straight.

Also, got to admit I don't think I would do PEI again. Seems to populated and definitely not the same vibe as riding NS.

http://www.nfl-bay.com/

Make reservations this time of year or you may not get on. Pack tie downs with you as the ones they have onboard are rusty and not in great shape. If seas are rough you will need them. The bike stays below deck and you are not allowed.

Ferry Pricing

I think it was $ 51.00 each way with the bike riding two up go to the nova scotia tourism website and follow how to get here and there is a link to the bay ferry's website also have them send you the guide book doers and dremers i think it was called there is a lot of good info in there

Eric

Last edited:
Also consider this

Mack, The ferry web site is really poor, not allowing the price to reflect for m/c's.
Also, there is a time change as you cross border, that can become a factor for
the Noon dept from St John to Digby. If your headed to the Salty Fog, the big
Warf Rat Rally is 8/31 - 9/5 in Digby; just as you ride off about 3:30pm. Rooms &
camping are "tight" along that coast that Holiday weekend. Hope to see you
at the Fog!

"Travelin' John"
04 R1150R
01 Road Glide
MOA/IBA/RA/HOG Life Member

Mohan, Thanks for the info. And I forgot to mention it looked like a great trip and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Jogitu and Travelin John, Thanks also for the info. I will get my reservations made.

As to making it to the Warf Rat Rally will not be there in time. Will be hitting St. John on 03 Sept.

But hey.. gives me yet more reason to come back up that way. :D

Cheers,

I appreciate this thread. It's that time again for my brother in law and I to head north, last time was from Seattle to the Arctic Circle and back, this time it is from South Carolina and back. And this time, I will be retired from the Military so I will have a lot more time. Let's plan for fun and accept the results.

Originally thought about leaving in June but got talked into August. Any thoughts? Seems the end of a season is always more peaceful than the beginning.:bolt
Wish me luck

John

Mohan, Thanks for the info. And I forgot to mention it looked like a great trip and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Jogitu and Travelin John, Thanks also for the info. I will get my reservations made.

As to making it to the Warf Rat Rally will not be there in time. Will be hitting St. John on 03 Sept.

But hey.. gives me yet more reason to come back up that way. :D

Cheers,

Keep in mind: Saint John to (for instance) Larry's River (Salty Fog Rally base) is 321 miles with NO ferry; Saint John to Larry's River, by taking ferry to Digby, NS is 309 miles. Not particularly a useful detour unless you really are keen on a five hour boat ride on an expensive (especially motels) Labor Day Week end. - Bob

Nice pictures. I really liked the fact that there wasn’t a lot of traffic. Thanks for sharing.
My wife and I are leaving for Nova Scotia 6/22 for a week, I hope we don’t get as much rain you got! We’re looking for a place to stay for two nights that will be convenient to go on a whale watch and walk around town for the rest of the day. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nova Scotia

There where several places to go whale watching, we where supose to go in Brier Island, but there was too much rain ending up going in Chetecamp. That was ok saw a lot of pilot whales also saw whales on the ferry ride over-Good luck

Back