• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Pump relocation R1100rs -Good idea?

airhead78

Hello everybody.

I am going to have to go go inside the tank to (at least) change some of the lines that are inside due to a slow leak when that tank is at least half full. It looks like thay are degraded with age.

At that time, I am considering doing the fuel filter relocation to facilitate future fuel filter changes.

So, in a vain attempt to complicate my life:violin, I keep wondering, hey, why not relocate the fuel pump to an outside the tank one so that I do not have to go inside the tank ever again....

So anyone has done this? Good idea?. I have not seen any threads about it, which probably means it is NOT a good idea, but thought I would ask...

TIA.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this being done. The filter mod came from riders' experience of having the filter clogged by as little as one dose of watered gas, and having to change it on the road. I imagine the reasons not to move the pump are 1) it'd be a much more complicated job than merely moving the filter, harder to fit both inconspicuously and safely, and 2) the pump and interior lines are often life of the bike parts. They're much less likely to need attention than the filter.

Last edited:
OEM fuel pump utilizes fuel for cooling; i would think an external pump, unless you go to some alternative pump) would be a bad call.

Electric fuel pumps for external use are/have been pretty common. We used to use them on a lot of cars. When fuel injection became so common they went inside.
They sure make diagnosis and maintainence a lot easier.

The external pumps I remember from years ago fed carbs, and worked at much lower pressure than required by modern FI systems. I wonder if putting the pump in the tank had something to do with the increase in system pressure.

Electric fuel pumps for external use are/have been pretty common. We used to use them on a lot of cars. When fuel injection became so common they went inside.
They sure make diagnosis and maintainence a lot easier.

Yes that is why I was wondering. My 97 FI guzzi has an outside the tank high pressure pump. Later on, like BMW, MG also went to an inside the tank pump with all kind of similar hose issues.

Leave the pump. Install metal tubing cut to length to replace the filter inside the tank. Install the filter external per the OP but not the original title. Use injection grade new 7mm hose to run pump to filter and filter to manifold to regulator.

Thank you for all the replies

Thank you all for the replies.
I will follow the advice given and the KISS principle and just replace the hoses and relocate the filter.

Eduardo.

Back