• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Interesting places in Ohio..

Yeah Roadside America is a great site! The stuff they deal with makes me proud to be American. I'm not trying to be silly or sarcastic here- even though that stuff often is. What I mean is that our unique 'highway culture' that evolved in the last century (and is now disappearing and evolving into something much more boring and standardised) is a real treasure which I think deserves appreciation. I have one of Roadside AMerica's original Muffler Men shirts which I wear with pride. BTW there are two muffler men (both are the 'half-wit' variety) here in Dallas and I know of one regular type in Birmingham AL.

Interesting place in Lima, Ohio

Lima has a unique electronics surplus store where you can buy WW II radios and other gear. Where else on earth can you find a radio receiver from a B17 bomber? Just the smell of the place is intoxicating!

Consultant said:
Lima has a unique electronics surplus store where you can buy WW II radios and other gear. Where else on earth can you find a radio receiver from a B17 bomber? Just the smell of the place is intoxicating!

Okay, I am interested, got a name and address for it....

Area around Bellefontaine, OH; just a bit east of Lima, has a bunch of neat attractions. Coupla caverns (Zane and Ohio), some old mansions.

Area around Springfield / Yellow Springs has some neat stuff, too. Miami River at Clifton Gorge, some covered bridges, neat roads.

Worlds finest electronic surplus

The electonic surplus store is Fair Radio Sales, 2395 St Johns Rd. Lima, OH. the phone is 419-223-2196. Web address is www.fairradio.com. I have no connection with them other than being an occasional customer.

Things to do

I'd like to check out Amish culture and living (within respectable limits of course). Any thoughts about a day ride? Thanks

Unregistered said:
I'd like to check out Amish culture and living (within respectable limits of course). Any thoughts about a day ride? Thanks

The heavist concentration of Amish are over on the eastern side of the state, quite a bit south of Akron. Do a Google search on Sugarcreek, Ohio and the Amish. You'll get a bunch of stuff. Here's one that looked good:

http://www.amish-heartland.com/?pat...and+Places<br>/&file=sugarcreek.txt&article=1

Late summer, I don't know exactly when, but the Amish often have roadside produce stands. Sometimes vegetables, often veggies and breads and pies. A loaf of Amish bread, some cold cuts and some wine would make a rocking meal back at the rally site.

There are some Amish around Yellow Springs / Springfield. I've seen some of the farms on rides down that way. I've seen guys plowing with horses. But I can't narrow it down much more than that. IIRC, it was off OH-68 on my way to Competition Accessories, years ago.

There is a large concentration of Amish between Utica and Millersburg along Route 62. The swiss cheese that is in the Amish country is great. Millersburg has a bunch of Amish gift shops, and restaurants. :clap

If you make a triangle between Utica, Millersburg, and Coshocton you will locate the horsemobile triangle. Beware of the road apples, and slow moving buggies. :doh

The Amish area in Indiana around Shipshewana might be closer than any in Ohio.(I dont have a map handy) They also have the giant"Flea" market thats mostly imported crap,but some Amish baked goods and crafts are available.

Again, there is an Amish contingent just 20 minutes east of the site, in the Kenton area. However, the Sugarcreek/Millersburg, etc. area is far more scenic and the best destination for Amish country.

Lake Erie Islands

The Lake Erie Islands (North Bass, Middle Bass, South Bass and Kelley's Island can be fun... with most of the action on S. Bass/Put-inBay and Kelley's, but the ferries are definitely not motorcycle friendly...they can be crowded on weekends, but we would'nt be there then I suppose. Cedar Point is the best amusement park in America hands down....Many rollercoasters (worlds tallest and fastest I beiieve) and is Located in Sandusky not too far from the Island area. Cedar Point is always crowded. Be prepared for long lines.Great beach at East Harbor State Park west or Sandusky...cleanest beach in the state. Warm water in July (70+)Probably an hour or so north or Lima.....

Bicentennial Barns

No matter which way you are coming to the rally, chances are that you will pass by a few Bicentennial Barns on the way. We have 88 of them in our state of Ohio, one in each county.

So how does one find these rural treasures?
By visiting the contest page I threw together a few years back.
You can also download the waypoints to all the barns on the page.

Ohio Bicentennial Contest page

Image map shown on contest page:
Locations on Bicentennial Barns
OhioMap.gif

Back