• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aerostitch Darien

MoroCycler

I will like to have your opinions about the Darien Jacket.
Also if you can tell me about the inner linners.
Thanks
:)
Morocycler

The functionality of the Darien jacket is superb! It will keep you dry, it will save your skin/body in a crash, and it has lots of big pockets. The ventilation works well enough and it'll keep you warm in the winter if you wear other layers (the Aerostich liners for example).

The downsides are the jacket is ugly as hell and the sizing is S, M, L XL vs the Roadcrafter jacket which has a greater range of sizes. Also, the Darien jacket is long and tends to bunch up around my waist when I'm riding. Many people also complain that the collar isn't lined as it is on the Roadcrafter jacket.

DockingPilot said:
To me, it's a rain coat with non- breathable crash pads in it. It really needs to be updated.
I agree with that. I know its sacrilege to be a BMW rider and say this, but Aerostich would do itself a favor if it updated the Darien. While the Darien certainly does what its supposed to do, newer jackets protect as much, are as waterproof, and at the same time are lighter, better ventilated, and better looking.

Just my $0.02.

Darien Suit

I dunno...doesn't look all that bad to me. I think it's probably the most versatile
piece of gear I have. In the rain it keeps me dry ( and I don't have to pull over to add an interior liner or try to stumble into a plastic rain suite...on a cold day I zip in the polar fleece liner and I'm toasty warm...it has pockets for everything...the "armor is lightweight and will work"...and it's ventilation system is quite good even when crossing a desert... and it lasts. Styling is, well, not Joe Rocket. It's just a plain, unadorned hard working piece of gear. :brow

re: Darien

Chace is right-on. I bought one and returned it for a Roadcrafter. Additional dislikes I found were the collar and lining. On the Darien there is no lining, except the zip-out fleece. I almost knocked off the armor just putting it on. The Roadcrafter has a tafeta lining which makes doning it very easy. On the Darien the collar is stiff and rough. The collar of the Roadcrafter is very plush. I guess I should say I love the Roadcrafter. :thumb

I've had a couple of Dariens, and have put hundreds of thousands of miles on them. They are indeed rugged... and ugly.

3 years ago my Darien suit saved my skin when I stepped off my bike at about 80 mph in turn 5 at Laguna Seca. The pants were ruined but the jacket is still usable (though no long waterproof in a few places).

At that time Aerostich was advertising the Darien's 10th Anniversary, and it occured to me that they really should update the jacket. My biggest complaint with it is that it does not vent well at all when it's warm. Beyond that, it's stiff, heavy and not very, ummm, stylish.

Instead of replacing it with another Darien, I bought the BMW Savannah II jacket. It weighs significantly less. It has great venting. The waterproof liner is waterproof (though admittedly a bit fussy to install). I rode in it through Spain in June, with temperatures from freezing to 112F, including torrential downpours, and the S II covered them all with aplomb. I would have died in the Darien. The S II also comes in suit sizes, so I could get a 46S instead of "XL" for my not-so-svelte body.

It appears to me that if anything, there are more, better choices available today. Aerostich is resting on their laurels here.

Savannah II

Darryl is right on about the BMW Savannah II suit. Extremely functional, especially here in Boston where the humidity in the summer can be a killer without a properly vented suit. I rode with it right up to December with no heaters, just layered ski clothes underneath. IMHO, it's a great, great, suit.

DarrylRi said:
I've had a couple of Dariens, and have put hundreds of thousands of miles on them. They are indeed rugged... and ugly.

It appears to me that if anything, there are more, better choices available today. Aerostich is resting on their laurels here.

Andy has a product that sells plenty and lasts forever. He feels that he will make more money selling as is than investing in a new design. It's a business model that worked for BMW motorcycles for decades. I wish more companies would try it. I'm tired of "flavor of the week" products.

I've been a happy Darien-wearer since 1998. The problem for me, as DarrylRi said, is that the hot-weather venting is poor. Days at 90?? F. and above are Not Fun.

OTOH, I think it's quite good in the conditions often found in this part of the world: alternating dry and wet. The Savannah liner is waterproof, but that means that if wet, either you have to leave it in the jacket (hard on a warm-and-wet day) or find a way to tie it on the bike ÔÇö and the Savannah itself will then be soaked. Inserting and removing the liner's a chore, too.

It'd be nice if the Darien weighed less, and weren't so stiff, and had a higher and softer collar. But it's paid for, and still works well. When it wears out I'll look around and see what else is available. But I may well buy another.

I like my darien, its got its own look. I don't think it looks bad, it just plain works. As far as hot weather, just open up the sleeves and vents and it works well. We don't get may HOT days up here, cold weather wear gets more usage. Added a gerbings liner underneath for those chilly days. My buddy has gone through more jackets trying to keep up with style.

Mark11LT said:
We don't get may HOT days up here, cold weather wear gets more usage.
That is the balance for the Darien. It's a great jacket if you spend more time in the cold. Since I moved from Seattle back to California, I wanted something that was biased more towards warm weather. However, I travel a fair bit, and I only want to carry one suit around, so whatever it is, it has to work -- somehow -- in 4 seasons.

BTW, I recently discovered that the high tech new soft shells available at REI and other outdoors stores make great liners. I have one from Mountain Hardware. It's only slightly bulkier than the Savannah II liner, yet makes a fine jacket on its own, is waterproof, has outside slash pockets and an internal pocket, and a hem drawstring. I can wear it under the S II jacket, where it's wind and waterproof but breathable; I can wear it around the campsite, where it keeps me dry and, for its bulk, surprisingly warm; and I can wear it away from the bike, especially in this very wet spring we're having out here.

Things to do with a Darien

Reminds me I need to wash my 'Stitch

Attachments

• bike wash.jpg
    bike wash.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 404
Why wash it, it is just going to get dirty again.

I know quite a few people who had tested the Darien as a luge replacement and as they said, the jacket may be ugly but I ain't thanks to it.

I have the BMW stuff as well and end up using the Stich more, although it is the Roadcrafter.

Back