• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Museums

miairhead

What Museums have you visited,

I've been to AMA, disappointed.

I liked Kersting's Museum in Indiana, going to try and go to Antique Motorcycle Museum in Plymouth, IN this weekend.

I plan on going to National Motorcycle Museum and Barber as soon as I can.

I not found a list with all the Motorcycle Museums list, Car museums are cool to but I tend to lean to the two wheel ride.

Barber is truly impressive! It is motorcycle history overload where I felt like a newborn.

Dan Rouit Flat Track Museum

Dan Rouit has a vintage Flat Track Museum in Clovis California. It is geared toward the AMA Style Flat Trackers who would have raced at places like the Springfield Mile. We have a wonderful free open house in late May every year. Come see us. Tell Dan that Alicia sent you.

http://www.vft.org/rouit.html

Not huge by most standards and in a very remote part of the TX Hill Country.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Nice collection and owners, great riding in the area including the Three Sisters loop. Best times are Fall/Winter/Spring as this is bordering on the Hill Country meets desert West TX warmth.

We usually zip on by as we try to avoid the Cruiser Crowd that stops in regularly...not that there is anything wrong with that... These pics were from 2007, have been back since and always seem to find a surprise.

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Lone-Star-Motorcycle-Museum/3365625_5pymM

The bikes get ridden, the British singles take an annual trip out to Big Bend National Park on some really old & classic machines. We have run into their group out that direction twice.
http://henzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/British-Singles-in-Big-Bend-09/9867366_rAzds

+200 Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley but you need to do soon. Word is he's giving up on Maggie Valley and moving the museum.

There is a new one in NY- Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh. Guys in my club have been there twice and have enjoyed their visit. They even have a Wall Of Death exhibt inside the museum:

1099298184_88YMZ-X2.jpg

Here is alink tho the thread on Adrider- Motorcyclepedia Sadly, they have no BMWs on display.

+200 Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley but you need to do soon. Word is he's giving up on Maggie Valley and moving the museum.]

Depends on what day of the week it is! Dale has talked about moving the museum for a couple of years now only to stay put. My guess is he will not move (if he ever does) anytime soon.

With that being said, it is a great museum. All U.S. made motorcycles, cars, and other items, with plenty of memorabilia. Dale (owner/curator) is usually there and will give tours in addition to cranking up a few bikes and riding them.

California Museum, Central Coast

Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum

Excellent collection, and a little of everything. Overall the collection is about twice the size of the bikes on display, so you can spot something new, all the time. Roughly 75 bikes on the floor at any one time.

Great place, and several bakeries nearby to slake the sugar lust, AND every kind of Danish kitsch you can possibly imagine. Pinot Noir wine country, as seen in the movie, Sideways.

Walking Eagle

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN had several bikes last times I visited including very old BMW's. Obviously as the name implies this is a car museum but at the factory there are actually two museums. There is the ACD Museum and another located right behind. The big happenings there are over labor day when they have the ACD Festival. I will tell you that as cool as cars museums generally are I have never seen any car as beautiful and massive as a Duesenberg. I get the saying "it's a doozie" after visiting the museum. There is also a aviation museum and another car museum located in Auburn. They have a passport you can get that will save you some cash if you hit all 4. I think there may be a military museum as well.

With that being said, it is a great museum. All U.S. made motorcycles, cars, and other items, with plenty of memorabilia. Dale (owner/curator) is usually there and will give tours in addition to cranking up a few bikes and riding them.

Yes, Dale is a great guy and the Wheels Through Time Museum is definitely worth a visit.

When I was there a few years ago, I casually mentioned to the ticket person that my grandfather owned a Henderson way back in 1918. Over my shoulder, Dale heard me and not only did he give me a personal tour of his Henderson, but he started it up so I could hear what it sounds like. :)

Lee

Yes, Dale is a great guy and the Wheels Through Time Museum is definitely worth a visit.

When I was there a few years ago, I casually mentioned to the ticket person that my grandfather owned a Henderson way back in 1918. Over my shoulder, Dale heard me and not only did he give me a personal tour of his Henderson, but he started it up so I could hear what it sounds like. :)

Lee

Not only will he start up any bike in the place, he will even do a burnout if he is so inclined.

Once, on a rainy spring visit, he let a buddy of mine ride one of the 1930 something Hardleys. Very cool guy!

The museum of Springfield History in Springfield, MA houses the Indian collection and there are several other museums there in a real nice area that are interesting as well.
The Glen Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY has several of his bikes, including a faithful reproduction of the v8 powered bike he built and rode to 137 mph in 1907(!!). I think the original is in the Smithsonian. There are numerous planes of his as well. He was definitely a character worth learning more about.
There is a nice little motorcycle museum on the main drag in Sturgis if your ever out that way. I think its run by the town.

British National Motorcycle Museum

A bit hard to get to for some, but the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, UK is second to none. Four halls chock-a-block full of every motorcycle Britain ever produced (hint: that's a lot of bikes).

JP

A nice little motorcycle museum in Memphis Tn. is Super Cycle. Address 620 S. Belvedere Blvd. About a 1/2 block north of Lamar Av. and 1 block east of midtown I-240. A lot of vintage Harleys and Indians. Some of the smaller Harley imports. Also lots of Memphis motorcycle memorabilia. This shop built some bikes and trikes for Elvis. No admission charge. Owned by Ron and Lew Elliott

Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum

Excellent collection, and a little of everything. Overall the collection is about twice the size of the bikes on display, so you can spot something new, all the time. Roughly 75 bikes on the floor at any one time.

Great place, and several bakeries nearby to slake the sugar lust, AND every kind of Danish kitsch you can possibly imagine. Pinot Noir wine country, as seen in the movie, Sideways.

Walking Eagle

+1 - a great museum.

A bit hard to get to for some, but the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, UK is second to none. Four halls chock-a-block full of every motorcycle Britain ever produced (hint: that's a lot of bikes).

JP

The selection at the National Motorcycle Museum is simply too much to comprehend. Lots of exceedingly rare factory one-off stuff as well.

Hall after hall of this:
IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

The Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY, the Finger Lakes region of New York, is a good visit. Curtiss was an early motorcycle pioneer who moved into aircraft and competed with the Wright brothers. There are a lot of bikes and aircraft on display and you can see the restoration shop in action, too. Don't go looking for a CB750 or V4 MotoGP bike. Great area for riding around there, too.

pete

Back