Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Museums

Motorcycle Museums

What Museums have you visited,

I've been to AMA, disappointed.

I liked Kersting's Museum in Indiana, going to try and go to Antique Motorcycle Museum in Plymouth, IN this weekend.

I plan on going to National Motorcycle Museum and Barber as soon as I can.

I not found a list with all the Motorcycle Museums list, Car museums are cool to but I tend to lean to the two wheel ride.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

warredon
    Barber is truly impressive! It is motorcycle history overload where I felt like a newborn.

Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

Wheels Through Time Museum, Maggie Valley, NC
    ----------
    The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

Dan Rouit Flat Track Museum

Dan Rouit has a vintage Flat Track Museum in Clovis California. It is geared toward the AMA Style Flat Trackers who would have raced at places like the Springfield Mile. We have a wonderful free open house in late May every year. Come see us. Tell Dan that Alicia sent you.

http://www.vft.org/rouit.html
    Alicia from The Left Coast
    2010 R1200GSA, 1995 R1100GS (SOLD?) & 2008 KLR650
    IBA# 45858

Not huge by most standards and in a very remote part of the TX Hill Country.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Nice collection and owners, great riding in the area including the Three Sisters loop. Best times are Fall/Winter/Spring as this is bordering on the Hill Country meets desert West TX warmth.

We usually zip on by as we try to avoid the Cruiser Crowd that stops in regularly...not that there is anything wrong with that... These pics were from 2007, have been back since and always seem to find a surprise.

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcyc.../3365625_5pymM

The bikes get ridden, the British singles take an annual trip out to Big Bend National Park on some really old & classic machines. We have run into their group out that direction twice.
    http://henzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcyc.../9867366_rAzds
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

+200 Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley but you need to do soon. Word is he's giving up on Maggie Valley and moving the museum.

There is a new one in NY- Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh. Guys in my club have been there twice and have enjoyed their visit. They even have a Wall Of Death exhibt inside the museum:

Here is alink tho the thread on Adrider- Motorcyclepedia Sadly, they have no BMWs on display.

tbourque
    [QUOTE=rvb1019;702550]+200 Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley but you need to do soon. Word is he's giving up on Maggie Valley and moving the museum.]

Depends on what day of the week it is! Dale has talked about moving the museum for a couple of years now only to stay put. My guess is he will not move (if he ever does) anytime soon.

With that being said, it is a great museum. All U.S. made motorcycles, cars, and other items, with plenty of memorabilia. Dale (owner/curator) is usually there and will give tours in addition to cranking up a few bikes and riding them.

California Museum, Central Coast

Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum

Excellent collection, and a little of everything. Overall the collection is about twice the size of the bikes on display, so you can spot something new, all the time. Roughly 75 bikes on the floor at any one time.

Great place, and several bakeries nearby to slake the sugar lust, AND every kind of Danish kitsch you can possibly imagine. Pinot Noir wine country, as seen in the movie, Sideways.

Walking Eagle

Rally Rat
    The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN had several bikes last times I visited including very old BMW's. Obviously as the name implies this is a car museum but at the factory there are actually two museums. There is the ACD Museum and another located right behind. The big happenings there are over labor day when they have the ACD Festival. I will tell you that as cool as cars museums generally are I have never seen any car as beautiful and massive as a Duesenberg. I get the saying "it's a doozie" after visiting the museum. There is also a aviation museum and another car museum located in Auburn. They have a passport you can get that will save you some cash if you hit all 4. I think there may be a military museum as well.

[QUOTE=tbourque;702558]
    Quote Originally Posted by rvb1019 View Post
    With that being said, it is a great museum. All U.S. made motorcycles, cars, and other items, with plenty of memorabilia. Dale (owner/curator) is usually there and will give tours in addition to cranking up a few bikes and riding them.
    Yes, Dale is a great guy and the Wheels Through Time Museum is definitely worth a visit.

When I was there a few years ago, I casually mentioned to the ticket person that my grandfather owned a Henderson way back in 1918. Over my shoulder, Dale heard me and not only did he give me a personal tour of his Henderson, but he started it up so I could hear what it sounds like.

Lee

[QUOTE=Lee200;702620]
    Quote Originally Posted by tbourque View Post

Yes, Dale is a great guy and the Wheels Through Time Museum is definitely worth a visit.

When I was there a few years ago, I casually mentioned to the ticket person that my grandfather owned a Henderson way back in 1918. Over my shoulder, Dale heard me and not only did he give me a personal tour of his Henderson, but he started it up so I could hear what it sounds like.

Lee
    Not only will he start up any bike in the place, he will even do a burnout if he is so inclined.

Once, on a rainy spring visit, he let a buddy of mine ride one of the 1930 something Hardleys. Very cool guy!

The museum of Springfield History in Springfield, MA houses the Indian collection and there are several other museums there in a real nice area that are interesting as well.
    The Glen Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY has several of his bikes, including a faithful reproduction of the v8 powered bike he built and rode to 137 mph in 1907(!!). I think the original is in the Smithsonian. There are numerous planes of his as well. He was definitely a character worth learning more about.
    There is a nice little motorcycle museum on the main drag in Sturgis if your ever out that way. I think its run by the town.

There are two on Route 66 in Oklahoma

Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum

Seaba is cool, nice little place worth stopping at if you are in the area. They don't have a charge but you can leave a donation.

Route 66 Vintage Iron Motorcycle Museum

I have not been to Vintage Iron, so you'll have to go off of the web-site...
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Rally Rat
    Right here in Philly..

http://simeonemuseum.org/events

p.s. Go Phillies!