• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many 1985-1987 R80's are out there?

SFAULKNER68

the velvet hammer
Curious. How many, mono-lever R80's are out there (not ST's or G/S's, just a good ole R80)?

Here's mine (w/ my wife as pilot). It is a 1987 R80 (built 10/86), #6480996, w/ dealer set-up "S" fairing and bars. Post yours w/ the last 7 VIN digits. I'll update this first post w/ current owners of each bike.

917041888_DBjwH-M.jpg

#6480996 sfaulkner68

Last edited:
Wonder how many have been converted one way or another? According to the dealer, my R80RT began as a R80. When I bought it in the late 90s, I knew the fairing had been repainted while the rest of the bike had the original paint.

my first rt was a dealer conversion as it was not registered as an rt. my current one is a factory rt

Just put my 86 R80 on consignment in Houston. Good bike.

1985 R80 mono

Just finished rewire, Hope to put on the road shortly. Ride safely want to talk to you, not about you
Will post photo when it is complete

Here's mine.. 85' R80 I found after 10 years of searching for the perfect deal.. Bought it in KY 3 years ago.. Love it!!

S4200069.jpg

Added an old Corbin seat and Wilbers shock to it in the last couple years.. Here's a few from a Grand Tour I'm in this year..

BuckCreek.jpg

Think these guys are still wondering what I was doing..

RiceLake.jpg

Waterville.jpg

And yes, the Grand Tour is all based around towns with water.. :)

5-15set-4.jpg

85 R80, 112,000 miles, city cases. Daily commuter, grocery getter, city bike. Takes abuse, sees the worst weather, but always runs.

kourt
austin, tx

'87 r80

Well, sort of... Post-warranty the powerplant was bumped to a stock 1000cc. There's also a Koni shock on the back (I think i still have the tired stock one somewhere), working on its second seat, third alternator rotor... Staintune pipes... need to replace the collector box, and the headers are getting tired but holding. Swapped to "S" bars when new, bar-end mirrors for quite some time now... 145,000+ as of a recent return from the TN/NC/WV/VA mountains (just before Hurrican Sandy!)
Tougher than the WV black bear I hit broadside at 50mph a couple years ago... never a twitch from the front end. Needed a headlight lens and a brake fluid reservoir (and I could use a couple new ligaments in my right AC joint...) but finished another 1600 miles on that trip after the hit.
Never having had a windshield, hammering down the slab is a little wearying, but EVLTWN loves the mountain curves! :eat
She might not be as pretty as a couple examples above, but with Buffalo Bud's continuing ministrations as needed :bow, who knows how long she'll continue to please?!

Here is my 86 R80, Euro spec. bought from Germany as I am stationed here. I am 3rd owner with documentation, can't read it for crap because of language barrier. I have been waiting 23 years to buy one since first laying eyes on an airhead at my 1st MSF class. the mileage is currently 104000 kilometers not miles. the fairing is BMW but not factory installed, the fairing was gray when i bought it, had to rattle can paint it to get it close. the black windshield was actually a mistake in translation, i thought i was getting a fairing not the winshield, i have the original windshield but this one looks cooler. the only thing i hare about the bike is the top trunk, it is too new for the look, trying to find a period correct trunk at a good price, if you know where besides ebay, let me know.

Attachments

• DSCN0709.jpg
    DSCN0709.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 140
1985 r80

Good place for my first post - 1985 R80 - 6480009 - owned since new - single disc - this was a display bike that did the Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal manufacturers bike show tour in January 1985 - I bought it in the fall of 1985 and took delivery the following spring - I love it and will never part with it as long as I can still ride - Cheers

Attachments

• R80 with Parabellum 1.jpg
    R80 with Parabellum 1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 86
Nice!

Keep 'em coming guys! Anything with the .8 liter is a prince in my opinion. I have a 1983 R80RT. With the RT suffix I won't show you pictures per the rules of the original poster. :german

Back