• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

PIAA bulbs.....?

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
The other night I had a black bear run across the road 30 yards in front of my front wheel. It was evening and still light but I thought.............if it were late at night I would want to see that bear as soon as possible and this brings me to the PIAA bulbs.

Has anyone had experience with the various tint choices when upgrading to PIAA replacement bulbs? They have crystal yellow, white, precious white, extreme white, style white and plasma ion. I am looking for something simple, just a brighter light on that dark country road.

Any suggestions?

I've used the Extreme White bulbs before. Although they do seem to be brighter, they don't last very long. I got about 1 year out of them and then about the same out of the second set that I bought. They ain't exactly cheap, either.:violin

Good light, just not very long lasting.

I just this evening installed a Pia headlight in my '95 RSL that I bought at the rally in bloomsburg.
Not the best lens on the bike but I'm really impressed by how much better the white light allows you to see at night.

I have to say that I was sort of having buyers remorse before installing it....a $50 headlight bulb.......???
but that's gone now. it's that much of an improvement.

Ken

I have run PIAA extreme white bulbs for a lot of years/miles in the 1200 and 1100x formats. I'm currently running 1100x on my RT. As in the past, when the bulb gives up, I'll go to Lowes and buy Sylvania MR16 track lighting bulbs and replace them both. Lots of choices in the MR16s that will work very well in the PIAA lights.

Oh yeah, not $50 - more like $2.00 to $5.00 a bulb.:thumb

I tried a PIAA in my GS low beam as a replacement. It only lasted about a 1000 miles and did not appear any brighter than the Sylvania that I am running now.

Extreme White for me but, as said, not cheap. Sylvania does one for $26.00.
These days, I choose not to ride at night.

Back