• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shift linkage

Jade

I have an '04 R1150RT with just under 13,000 miles on it, about half of which I've put on in the year I've owned it. On the trip to Bloomsburg, I started experiencing downshift problems in almost any gear except 6 to 5th, which would require my sometimes shifting back up to shift down. I wasn't sure if I was creating the problem through fatigue altering my shifting style, if the heat was a factor, or if a problem was developing. Upon getting home though, I discovered that the shift linkage was definitely stiff and dragging on the downshift return. I cleaned and lubricated the Heim joints with teflon/lithium grease spray. They were very dirty and doing this significantly increased the snappiness of the return in the shifter. (Haven't road tested yet.) I noticed the joints were relatively unprotected, but there appear to be remnants of what might have once been felt washers around the joints. The fiche calls for a "bush" in the joint, but its difficult to tell if this is what is meant by that. Anyone have any information?

Yes, they are foam rings (bush in the fiche). As you have seen, they wear and fall apart. Definitely a wear item - too bad it's a bit of a PIA to replace. Once renewed, try to keep the area clean and greased. I guess that's an oxymoron.

........ but there appear to be remnants of what might have once been felt washers around the joints. The fiche calls for a "bush" in the joint, but its difficult to tell if this is what is meant by that. Anyone have any information?

I just replaced my clutch and when I removed the shifter I noticed these 2 foam collars at the shifter articulations. They literally fell apart in my hands. I went over to the BMW dealer and bought replacement "bushings". I pulled the shifter apart, greased everything , replaced the bushings and snapped the parts back in place. No big deal.

As an update, took a test ride this evening. the cleaning and lubrication restored my "smooth as butter" shifting. In retrospect, I had ridden in some heavy rain not long before the rally trip and its obvious that lower Heim joint is pretty vulnerable, especially with nothing but crumbles of the bushing left. I'll be watching it and replace the bushings next time the plastic comes off.

I just replaced my clutch and when I removed the shifter I noticed these 2 foam collars at the shifter articulations. They literally fell apart in my hands. I went over to the BMW dealer and bought replacement "bushings". I pulled the shifter apart, greased everything , replaced the bushings and snapped the parts back in place. No big deal.
Does the selector rod just snap off the shift lever and then just snap back on? I wanted to clean the linkage and replace the bushing when I was going to remove my starter. It did look like it just snapped apart......is it that simple?

There are funny little pins

You have to look very carefully at the linkage and retaining pins. The linkage does not just pop apart and if you try to force it you may end up with a little more than you bargained for. Its very difficult to explain how these clips or retainers come out so I would just say look very carefully and use very small tools. Flat screw driver and a tiny pair of needle nose pliers. Take a look at a picture of one of those retainers and you can probably figure out the rest.

Does the selector rod just snap off the shift lever and then just snap back on? I wanted to clean the linkage and replace the bushing when I was going to remove my starter. It did look like it just snapped apart......is it that simple?

It looks like it just snaps apart, but there's a very small wire clip that holds the "ball" in the "socket." The clip must be removed before the ball will come out of the socket. After reassembly, the clip must be replaced to hold the joint together.

Back