• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding the Ute Trail in Colorado (A Few Pics/Vids)

I've purchased several of the regional riding books previously from Whitehorse Press. However, I must say that a book can't hold a candle to the numerous videos of the places in Colorado where one can ride. The book would be good in the tankbag or to read at night to plan a future ride.

I don't recall seeing elsewhere the equipment currently in use to make the videos. Is it the GoPro HD or Contour HD or something else mounted to the helmet? I keep thinking that it would be nice to have an aux mic located where the engine sounds without the wind noise could be recorded.

Another nice touch with the videos is the identification of the background music. That identification should help with copyright issues and lets viewers easily purchase the music if so desired.

rob...

For off-road or more upright rides I tend to use the GoPro HD. For more sporting flings, the Contour HD. Vainly, the Contour is a bit more sleek/discrete when astride a missile like the K1200S, and of course I have to look the part.
lol.gif

After years of vids I mostly now just stick the cam on the helmet, but not on the top of the helmet! It looks too extreme way up there, especially with a wider angle. Mount on the lower left side, below the left ear. A helmet cam provides the perspective of the rider, one can selectively look around for the viewer, one can see the bike sway underneath, vibes are minimized, the cam with the lefthand can easily be turned off/on while underway, and all I have to fool around with is one mount on one helmet.

With off road rides, the GoPro cam picks up well the exhaust note. No need for a remote mic. The Contour is horrible at any speed picking up anything but wind noise. When on a spirited ride, I'll toss an MP3 recorder in a pocket and then sync this audio with the video in the video editor. BTW, the new Contour+ has a small port to plug in a small inline mic. This cam is available now but I don't like its $499 price. Lately I've been experimenting with 3D. Interesting.

The Contour with an MP3 recorder in the pocket - The K1200S chasing a riding friend up to Echo Lake below Mount Evans

YouTube typically places the artist, the song, and where it can be bought under the viewing window. Note the preceding link as well as the Fremont 2 vid link. I think YouTube didn't do this with Fremont 12 above because the artist/song is from Norway, and I picked it up as a free MP3 from one-track-mind.com

Just got your book...

Fantastic piece of work! Very thorough and a lot of nice layout and organization touches. :thumb

I've ridden many of the roads you list, but the really back roads will be the first I try the next time I am out that way.

For camera mounting, I have been playing with the GoPro Chesty... it puts the camera at upper chest level and gives a very natural perspective to the picture.

Great work on the book, Steve... I hope it sells big for you.

Ian

Ian... Did you pick up a copy? Or perhaps checked out the book's video site? Regardless, thanks for the kind thoughts and words... Steve

Congratulations on your "launch", Steve. I'm ordering mine tomorrow.

For some reason, I thought it was going to be one of those 100 buck coffee table specials...:D

Oh yeah, and the Orange Crush will love the KTM. :D

Last edited:
Whitehorse Gear

Ordered 2 copies of the book last night and rec'd an email from Whitehorse Gear (first thing this morning) that they'll be shipped out today! Great service from Whitehorse Gear!!!

Can't wait to get my copy, and the other goes to my good friend and riding buddy for a Christmas present!!!

Looking forward to reading it cover to cover!!!:D

Got my book yesterday. After enjoying Steve's ride reports and videos for several years I had high expectations for his book and I was definitely not disappointed! Just like his ride reports, Steve gives enough history and interesting background to make you want to visit each locale, and provides good info on the ride itself.

Ian, Rinty, Piper, Dan... Just returned from an overnighter. Stayed with my CSU student daughter in Fort Collins, and also visited with ten dealers in Northern Colorado on the book. On today's return, rode the great Cache La Poudre (Colorado's only National Wild and Scenic River), through its canyons, and over the heights it drains -- the ultra scenic Cameron Pass, to North Park. Daaaaang what a magical road and ride. If you haven't placed your two wheels on Colorado 14 from Livermore to Walden 92 miles away in awhile, put this in pen, not pencil, on your to-do list.

Anyway, I digress. The main reason for the post is to express a heartfelt word of "thanks".

Steve

...put this in pen...

There's going to be a long list, after we get your book, Steve. :ha

You must have used your GT, for that trip?

P.S. Canadian MOA members, you can order Steve's book from Chapters; release date is September 15.

Last edited:
Back