• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Embarrassed to be a Member

Thankless . . . . .

Muriel you are 100% correct. I think Vance and Mari worked harder in Bloomsburg than in Johnson City. Everyone went above and beyond what was expected. I was not aware of anyone who held back and did not take on responsibilities. Stan Herman and Deb Lower are another example. I never saw either take a break.
I am very proud of this group and the people who work to make it professional and effective.
It was not perfect but it bordered on it!
Campbell Tellman II
Sign Chair
:thumb

...Stan Herman and Deb Lower are another example. I never saw either take a break.

Just for reference, I personally saw both of them taking a break around 12:10 AM on Sunday morning behind the band shell. Then duty called and they both jumped into action once again. :thumb

I am honoroed to have been given the opportunity to work with the fine MOA folks that make these events happen every year. For those of you that feel like you are a peon, step up and volunteer - it will give you a view into the inner workings of your club and provide you with some satisfaction.

Snookers, thanks, that would of been nice to find some cold beers!

It was getting expensive to maintain the bike anyway, so I'm still going with a Triumph Speed Triple, but I'll bring it to the next BMW rally next year (funny thing is I noticed this speed triple at the rally).

I think that the suggestion to camp out will make it a better experience and I'll give that a try next time. i did stay at a hotel and there for had to be concerned with not drinking so I could drive back, camping would solve that problem. I'll also volunteer if my wife lets me out for more than 2 days.

thanks

Volunteering plugs you into so much more, as camping does too. I turned down a hotel in Bloomsburg a year ago, and there were a few moments when I wished I didn't. But being on site for 6 days and being there for setup was an eye opening experience. Our MOA friend list doubled.
Tornado Tuesday was an adventure too!

Rally Camping and rally hoteling are separate rally experiences.

Couldn't take the "heat" huh Vance? :ha

To all that are following these various post mortum rally threads, in addition to doing the Closing Ceremony and being on the BOD, Vance worked 18 to 20 hour days for 8 days doing logistics (only a half day on the 9th day) AND Vance Harrelson made the decision to put out the sprinklers, the potable water hoses, and provide free water.

I'm proud to know him, I'm proud to work with him, and I'm proud of the quality and effort he and every other Board of Director's member bring to this club. We also have an incredible paid staff at the MOA who never receive anywhere near the credit they deserve.

If no one responds to a member post, it does not mean no one is paying attention or no one cares. Most key volunteers follow the comments posted here but it becomes a can of worms to respond. In most cases there are multiple facets to issues raised here and forums are an inappropriate venue to resolve major policy concerns and decisions.

Rant off, this will be my only after rally post.

:bikes

Stan Herman
2011 Logistics Chair (along with Vance)
2010 National Rally Co-Chair
2009 Go-Fer Co-Chair
2008 Sanitation Chair (toilet plunger, trash guy)

Stan won't mention this himself, but he also worked the same hours as Vance. If someone is to blame for the closing ceremonies, please place the blame on me. I was the chair and responsible for approving the plan for the ceremony. I apologize for booking the fire cars. We didn't expect the high temperatures and I had hoped the cars would provide an interesting new addition to the ceremonies. They are part of the local culture in the Bloomsburg area and perform regularly at events such as the annual fair and car shows. I viewed them as a unique local attraction that would not be available at future rally sites. Again, I apologize and Vance was not responsible for their appearance. On stage, Vance tried to get their attention to stop the last passes. However, we did not have radio contact with the drivers. Vance was making last minute changes to the ceremony as new information, including cancellation, was being presented to him. The technical and logistical issues involved in using volunteers to stage a one-time event such as this are many and Vance did a great job adjusting to a constantly changing scenario. It was my first time to hear the singers from the local high school and they did an outstanding job. It was an amazing and humbling experience to work with many great volunteers, such as Stan and Vance, that were willing to donate countless hours to the rally and give up vacation time to work so hard.

Mark

Thanks All

My wife (non-rider) 1st rally. Volunteered at the sewing booth and loved it! My 2nd rally and I shopped, ate, drank (a lot of H2O etc) and met many other like minded folks. We laughed and cheered at the closing - I loved to cars, the heat not so much. I would like to thank all the chairs and volunteers. We will attend future rallys! ;)

THANKS,

Mike
76 R906
93 R100R Legend

Stan won't mention this himself, but he also worked the same hours as Vance. If someone is to blame for the closing ceremonies, please place the blame on me. I was the chair and responsible for approving the plan for the ceremony. I apologize for booking the fire cars. We didn't expect the high temperatures and I had hoped the cars would provide an interesting new addition to the ceremonies. They are part of the local culture in the Bloomsburg area and perform regularly at events such as the annual fair and car shows. I viewed them as a unique local attraction that would not be available at future rally sites. Again, I apologize and Vance was not responsible for their appearance. On stage, Vance tried to get their attention to stop the last passes. However, we did not have radio contact with the drivers. Vance was making last minute changes to the ceremony as new information, including cancellation, was being presented to him. The technical and logistical issues involved in using volunteers to stage a one-time event such as this are many and Vance did a great job adjusting to a constantly changing scenario. It was my first time to hear the singers from the local high school and they did an outstanding job. It was an amazing and humbling experience to work with many great volunteers, such as Stan and Vance, that were willing to donate countless hours to the rally and give up vacation time to work so hard.

Mark

Mark - you've got to stop throwing yourself under the bus. The oppressive heat was the driving factor behind most everything that 'mis-fired' at the Closing Ceremonies.

I was not there (Closing Ceremonies), but have spoken to many who were. People were hot, sweaty, miserable, tired, and just plain cranky. Flaming cars? You could have had Cirque de Solei show up - it wouldn't have mattered. Members wanted to know who won, who didn't, and get the heck out of there.

Only baggage to take away from this event (other than despite tempers worn thin by the heat, there still should not have been any booing - we should be above that) is that brevity needs to be the watch-word for Sedalia and all future Closings.

Recognize that patience has run its course by Saturday evening if weather conditions are not near-perfect, and vendors can plug their donated prizes in some other fashion - just not on the stage, other than a brief acknowledgement.

Just my opinions here, but you, Deb, Stan, Vance and many others need not feel like you let any of us down. Issues have been critiqued to stimulate improvement for Sedalia - that's all - nothing personal. :thumb

Last edited:
funny

But if you choose to make 3 trips to the all you can eat buffet you shouldn't complain that the chairs aren't big enough.
=================

You are very funny.
The complaints were about fire cars spitting sixty (60) feet flames into our faces and... read carefuly now...having our leaders refusing to stop it because... you still with me?... it was paid for.

Flaming cars? You could have had Cirque de Solei show up - it wouldn't have mattered.
============================
Am I reading right?
No. and no again. Cirque de Solei would NOT have been booed. Flaming cars at the end of that day were booed. Flaming cars did not stop. What are you talking about? Are we all going mad?

Last edited:
Mark - you've got to stop throwing yourself under the bus. The oppressive heat was the driving factor behind most everything that 'mis-fired' at the Closing Ceremonies.

I was not there, but have spoken to many who were. People were hot, sweaty, miserable, tired, and just plain cranky. Flaming cars? You could have had Cirque de Solei show up - it wouldn't have mattered. Members wanted to know who won, who didn't, and get the heck out of there.

Only baggage to take away from this event (other than despite tempers worn thin by the heat, there still should not have been any booing - we should be above that) is that brevity needs to be the watch-word for Sedalia and all future Closings.

Recognize that patience has run its course by Saturday evening if weather conditions are not near-perfect, and vendors can plug their donated prizes in some other fashion - just not on the stage, other than a brief acknowledgement.

Just my opinions here, but you, Deb, Stan, Vance and many others need not feel like you let any of us down. Issues have been critiqued to stimulate improvement for Sedalia - that's all - nothing personal.

Kevin, we have never met, but I like you. You have hit the nail on the head! :thumb

BMWRider - I guess I could resent your comment regarding "retired military...unlimited cash" but your comment made me chuckle.

The only "new" bike I ever bought was a 1998 R1200C. I still have it and just bought a 1977 R100S with RS fairing...

One of these years I'll try to make a rally.

hi Tim,
glad i made you chuckle as opposed to making you angry! i certainly meant no harm in my comments... nor am i judging, jealous or bitter... and didn't make the statement in any such spirit.
please DO come to a rally sometime, this was my first and i loved it in spite of the heat... i guess i was coming from just seeing all the really nice bikes and the ATGATT crew all decked to the gills in all the gear... kind of daunting, cuz we KNOW BMW ain't givin' anything away...

i LOVE my "old" bikes... in fact, my "old" BMWs are my "NEW" bikes! my -ahem- other bikes are Brits, Triumph and Norton.
so 1988 and 1993 technology are pretty sweet and all modern in my world. good for you, man- sounds like you have a couple pretty great bikes of your own.

Cheers!
Tom

PS,
if you are a Vet, then THANKS!
my dad was a highly decorated warrior and a 30+ year Infantryman. a soldier's soldier, he fought in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam, and held every rank EXCEPT one (buck private up to full Col.) which i THINK was Chief Warrant Officer (???). he by-passed that rank by receiving a Battlefield Commission in WWII, which i believe made him a Lt.
his Infantry outfit was credited with firing the last shot of WWII.

Boy has this club changed in the last twenty years.
I went to the RA National,then the Guzzi national and then the MOA National they were all about the same as far as temperature goes very hot. At the MOA people seemed amazed that it gets very hot in July.
I rode to all of them (in the heat) on two wheels not in an Motorhome or a car with my bike on a trailer behind me. I slept in my tent and made a few new friends while at the rally. During the hot part of the day I drank more water, walked a little slower and stayed away from the booze (OK I just consumed less than normal).

Listening to young people complaining about the heat, complaining about not having 30 amp electric for their RV or having to park the car and motorcycle trailer outside the camping area, about lines at the shower and then all the crying about the closing ceremony made me wonder what did these people expect when they went to a motorcycle rally.

At the RA and the Guzzi rallys people commented on the heat but no one blamed the organizing club about the weather. Seems like some people (more every year) won't be happy till the yearly event is a MOA Convention where you drive there in your car check into a hotel and they have the vendors and seminars in a air conditioned convention hall. What happened to the old rallys where you were happy to find a level spot of ground that didn't flood when it rained.
Seems like this club is moving closer to its name Motorcycle OWNERS association, and the motorcycle riding part is secondary

Also the closing ceremony always seems like it's long and drawn out but it's also the only recognition that most of the people that put in a year of work on the rally will get. I have no problem sitting there to let these folk have a few minutes in the spotlight.

BTW: I'm 68 and planning to hit the National in Missouri (in July) next year and then taking Rt 50 West to attend 'Top of the Rockies' in Paonia.

Please excuse the old guy rant but this thread really GOT to me.

I liked the kids

Yup, kids these days..

I met a lot of "kids" at the rally and EVERY one of them had a great attitude. There were lots of them sweating and humping while we were setting up the stage on Tuesday and were back to help take it apart when the shows ended.

There were two young men who were selling t-shirts in the sun. They explained that they had moved to the sun because that spot had the most pedestrian traffic and they were there to sell all their merchandise; not stay comfortable. American enterprise is alive and well.

I also met a lot of young vendors and EVERY one of them was working their butts off and having a great time.

And THEN? Yes, there she was. Tall/brunette/beautiful and diving off a tree into the creek next to me. I would do it again just to see that again.

I had so much fun that I have already volunteered for next year's rally.

Hope to see all you good folks there.

NO MORE EXHIBITIONS THAT ADD HEAT TO THE PLACE. It is summer; what were you thinking?

After reading some of the comment's. You have encouraged me to write an article for a future ON.
On a professional level, the first aid section would have been inefficient without the outstanding support of the key VOLUNTEER'S from the MOA club body and the full time MOA office staff.
For those of you that must complain. I strongly suggest that you volunteer in helping make the rally's a success. Why waste the energy complaining when you could use that energy to make a difference and meet new friend's.
I have chaired and co-chaired the first aid section for several rally's. I look at all the member's of the BMWMOA as my extended family. I am going to say it, "I love you all like family". That is why I volunteer to take care of you when you are in need of medical care. Just taking care of the family!

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

P.S. Look for a future article in the Owners News. I must define what the first aid section is about and how we operate.

The Bottom Line - Lessons Learned

For future rallys:

Location above 3000 ft if held same time of year.
More climate control facilities.
More shower facilities, not a problem this year, as many people left. Would have been bad if more attendees had stayed.
Consider changing time of year to Fall.
Excellent turnout of food vendors and non-price gouging too.
Excellent transportation - on site and into town.
Streamline the closing ceremonies.
There was a river close by???????

Good job Rally Team! Did I leave something out?

Ultra LT

For future rallies:

Location above 3000 ft if held same time of year.
More climate control facilities.
More shower facilities, not a problem this year, as many people left. Would have been bad if more attendees had stayed.
Consider changing time of year to Fall.
Excellent turnout of food vendors and non-price gouging too.
Excellent transportation - on site and into town.
Streamline the closing ceremonies.
There was a river close by???????

Good job Rally Team! Did I leave something out?

Ultra LT

You forgot:
More parking for RVs.
30A hookup and sewer and water connections at all RV parking spots.
Allow cars same access to camping area as motorcycles.
Have all seminars in same hotel as majority of rally attendees are staying at.
All entertainment should be in air conditioned hotel facilities.
All closing ceremonies in air conditioned arena/ cushioned seats
All vendors must be in air conditioned buildings.
Do away with old bike display and instead have motorcycle clothing fashion show.
Locate tent camping remotely from rally so people don't think BMW owners have to sleep in tents.
Cap entry fee at $20 (US) because all you get is a plastic cup and a pin.
Money back guarantee if their is one day of rain or temperature over 80 degrees.

I'm sure others could come up with more interesting 'NEEDED" improvements to our National Rally
:stick

DSC06855.jpg

Back