• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Embarrassed to be a Member

I don't get it.:scratch

The heatwave wasn't unexpected in the near term. Maybe I'm the only one who watches TV, but the weather stations, and every national broadcast, forecast this event days beforehand. Why would anyone choose to attend, and then complain about it being hot, when they knew full well what to expect?

Attitude is the difference between adversity and adventure.
Tom

I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club. :dunno

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. :violin ...

Possibly your reading is a bit selective. There are many complimentary threads and comments on how well the rally organizers handled the unusual heat. Embarrassed to be a member? Maybe the way we treated the drivers of the flame cars who only did what they were asked. But I feel the complaints about the rally are no worse nor numerous than they have been for past rallies.

I don't get it.:scratch

The heatwave wasn't unexpected in the near term. Maybe I'm the only one who watches TV, but the weather stations, and every national broadcast, forecast this event days beforehand. Why would anyone choose to attend, and then complain about it being hot, when they knew full well what to expect?

Attitude is the difference between adversity and adventure.
Tom

For us it was a 50/50. Yes we watch the weather channels and monitor on the internet. Being from Canada looking at the weather and talking about it is a pastime (we should get a life).

That said we had already pre-paid for our registration and accommodations at the University. Those three A/C units were worth every penny.

Not complaining about the weather per se, no one can change that, just that offering better accommodations to rally-goers in such heat could have taken place. Yes I know heat waves happen in July and August (when was the last time that did not happen). Same as snow and 40 below in Ottawa in the wintertime. It's how you/we deal with it that counts.

We're not bitching about the heat, we're bitching about an organization choosing the very hottest time of the year to hold a rally.

I have attended national rallies and will attend more, but not in adverse conditions. It's no big deal to me if I miss a rally, especially one that is held under adverse conditions to the point of being miserably hot and unpleasant.

If the BMW MOA insists on having these rallies at the hottest time of year, the least they can do is have some AC available at the site.

If I go to Sedalia next summer, it's only because I'm on my way to visit my daughter in Olathe, KS. She's got central air, like most people who live in that area...

Harry

Didn't feel welcome

Maybe its b/c I don't belong to a local BMW MOA chapter, not that there are any conveniently near me, but I did not feel that welcome. Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around,bought things, took pictures of beautiful motorcycles, and ate some good food. It was nice to be surrounded by fellow BMW motorcycle owners but really they are older people, much older actually, that wouldn't even give me the time of day! They mostly sat in tents with their travel buddies and local chapter friends. So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.

I thought, was it me? I'm a pretty social person, versed in many things, and overall approachable.

I have to say, I'm selling my BMW this weekend and buying a Triumph this weekend with the hopes of meeting people more my age and with a little more in common.

Not sure what I was expecting, but I was honestly dissapointed. At least the 8 hours of driving was a fun learning experience.

Thank you for your time,

The guys in their mid 70s accepted the situation but the guys in their 50s whined about the heat. __________________

Well this rally was the first Bmw rally for myself and my bride. Despite the heat, we had a great time. Residing in a tent in a feild proved to be challenging for sure, but this 50 plus six year old ex boy scout leader was happy to go to a camp withut rain for a change. It was also a great opportunity to purchase a pair of armoured mesh jackets for the ride home. The heat did pose some challenges for some, but staying hydrated, :drink , and resting when needed got us through it all. I for one am looking forward to the next rally, where I hope to meet up with the good freinds I've made.

Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around

r100r................to bad our paths didn't cross...................I'm always up for a good chat...........and I had a cooler full of Coors as well. Don't let this event change your attitude about beemer riders

So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.

I understand how you feel. The first rally I attended - Vermont 2006 - I found it difficult to make friends, but we were staying in a hotel. We camped the next year in Wisconsin and my daughter and I volunteered. We met so many people, and made so many friends - we had a blast. I've been to every rally since then, and my daughter to them all apart from this last one. We volunteer every time and it really is like a family reunion. The MOA rally has become the main part of my summer.

If you attend another rally, volunteer. You will get an entirely new outlook on the whole rally experience.

Maybe its b/c I don't belong to a local BMW MOA chapter, not that there are any conveniently near me, but I did not feel that welcome. Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around,bought things, took pictures of beautiful motorcycles, and ate some good food. It was nice to be surrounded by fellow BMW motorcycle owners but really they are older people, much older actually, that wouldn't even give me the time of day! They mostly sat in tents with their travel buddies and local chapter friends. So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.

I thought, was it me? I'm a pretty social person, versed in many things, and overall approachable.

I have to say, I'm selling my BMW this weekend and buying a Triumph this weekend with the hopes of meeting people more my age and with a little more in common.

Not sure what I was expecting, but I was honestly dissapointed. At least the 8 hours of driving was a fun learning experience.

Thank you for your time,

I wish I found you, I am an old fart that has many younger friends and I allowed them space to be with themselves and enjoyed their company when able. Allow me to introduce you to the vibrate NYC young set in a short drive for you. If you stay longer I'll extend your reach.

Snookers, thanks, that would of been nice to find some cold beers!

It was getting expensive to maintain the bike anyway, so I'm still going with a Triumph Speed Triple, but I'll bring it to the next BMW rally next year (funny thing is I noticed this speed triple at the rally).

I think that the suggestion to camp out will make it a better experience and I'll give that a try next time. i did stay at a hotel and there for had to be concerned with not drinking so I could drive back, camping would solve that problem. I'll also volunteer if my wife lets me out for more than 2 days.

thanks

Snookers, thanks, that would of been nice to find some cold beers!

It was getting expensive to maintain the bike anyway, so I'm still going with a Triumph Speed Triple, but I'll bring it to the next BMW rally next year (funny thing is I noticed this speed triple at the rally).

I think that the suggestion to camp out will make it a better experience and I'll give that a try next time. i did stay at a hotel and there for had to be concerned with not drinking so I could drive back, camping would solve that problem. I'll also volunteer if my wife lets me out for more than 2 days.

thanks

You didn't hear this here. :scratch But there are sport bike / urban cruiser events similar to the GS Giant in the works that will be open to foster community if the right matched sponsor signs on in the Show Me State. Its the parallel universe of sorts influenced from the beast within that I know, but it must be a sell first. Marketeers forget that the young set want to be fast or dirty or fast and dirty. :laugh

Austin Vince ( a once young rider that traveled the world ) feels Triumph ought to extend their reach so perhaps where BMW has shortcomings Triumph can gain a footing to benefit you. But still hang on, hunger feeds innovation...........there will be opportunities to change things........ I can see them now being involved. It wasn't long ago another was frustrated by the way things were and is helping getting things sorted for the future torch bearers regardless of iron.

Camping is a good change but placing yourself in the right company could be made easier. If not, hopefully the Color in the Catskills with a resort base camp would be a nicer fit come October...... even with your wife along there will be an opportunity to meet riders such as yourself.............lets hope there is a Color in the Catskills.

For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

Thank you for your time,

As mccodavj says, don't give up on us so soon. Volunteering at a rally is an excellent way to meet new friends. In Vermont, my first rally in '06, although I didn't volunteer, I met lots of people. At the next three I volunteered where I met lots of new friends. The people I have camped with at these rallies also became friends. I am constantly amazed at just how friendly so many people are at the MOA rallies. Give us one more try.

I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club. :dunno

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. :violin

Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.

Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.

I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.

With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat) :wave

I ride my motorcycle to have fun and escape the daily stresses of this life. Riding a motorcycle attgatt in 100 degree weather is not fun for me and probably %99 riders out there. I'm 52 years old in good health and not feel like an old man at all. I know what I like and don't like doing. I'm running marathons and doing triathlons to test my endurance. Motorcycle riding is my hobby not my sport.
Since you are so embarrassed to be a member of this club I suggest you resign.:wave

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. :violin

Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.

Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.

I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.

With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat) :wave

If you were embarrassed about the complaints of heat, if you had read some of my posts that were deleted by the mods, I supposed you would have immediately resigned from the MOA. If I ever learn to be politically correct, I guess I'll fit in. Having said all that, heat IS a dangerous thing.

Thank you for your time,

Why yes the BMW crowd is older. Much older. Been riding BMWs since I was 22 and now I'm in my mid 40's so I'm slowly catching up to the median age of BMW riders. Yes you will find an "older" crowd in age but not certainly not in spirit.

Take the time to introduce yourself to others. Pay them a compliment about their bike. Ask questions. You'll find that BMW riders will be very happy to talk about pretty much anything.

Come to think of it I only spoke to one person younger then myself at the rally. Yikes!

Thank you for your time,

Sorry to hear that you are selling your beemer. The RI club has several members from Ct. I too went to my first rally when I was young had had the same complaints back then. Looking back I do think it was also partly my fault. I can't speak for the Triumph club, but good luck in your choice and if you come back we will be there. :thumb

Back