• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally - Site suggestion

As a club or individuals? As for me personally, I don't have the means to travel beyond the U.S. and Canada. However, I would not admonish the club to move the rally beyond those regions. Are you saying the rally could go beyond North America?

It wouldn't be practical to consider an event outside of North America. The point of our rally is to provide a major event for our core membership and that's clearly in the U.S. and Canada. There are some of the other international BMW motorcycle clubs who have big gatherings but nothing on the scale of the MOA rally. In fact, other then the BMW AG sponsored and paid for "Biker's Meeting" in Garmish, Germany, the MOA rally is the largest BMW enthusiast event (car or bike) in the world.

Although Tenton was a fantastic site, the process of holding the rally across the border was exceedingly difficult on the operational side. One of the prize bikes got held up by Canadian Customs and never did make it to the rally, and it took us five weeks afterward to get it back and give it to the winner. There was many problems with bringing merchandise over the boarder for our venders with the result that a very large number of them didn't attend or brought reduced inventories. The Canadian Customs laws and regulations where just very, very difficult to work with.

So much for 'Free Trade', huh?

Doesn't matter to us; we happily head off to wherever the Rally is!

In addition to the MOA, I belong to a club for Airstream RV's. I've noticed an uncanny association between where the MOA and the Airstream club have their rallies!

Essex Jxn, VT -- Airstream 2003 MOA 2006
Gillette, WY -- Airstream 2009 MOA 2008
Sedalia, MO -- Airstream 2012 MOA 2012

Those are just the ones that I can recall from recent history.

Here's a list of places the Airstream Club has had rallies and you may want to consider on your list of prospective places. Airstreamers need about as much space to park their ~600 or so trailers as we need to camp with thousands of tents. However, they are not as concerned with proximity to good motorcycling roads!

Perry, GA -- Large fairgrounds with lots of air-conditioned buildings. Plenty of grassy area, some with shade and some lakeside to camp. Downside is very boring roads!

Springfield, MO -- Closer to good riding. Large event center downtown...would not be able to camp at the site where vendors/seminars are located to my knowledge.

Sioux Falls, SD -- Nice fairgrounds with plenty of air-conditioned space for vendors relatively close to grassy camping sites. Not sure the surrounding area is great for riding.

Rapid City, SD -- Probably some of the nicest area to ride in the country! Nice area to have seminars/vendors inside in A/C, but not sure there's enough space close by for camping. But plenty of hotel/motel options.

Salem, OR -- Don't know much as I didn't attend, but looked like a nice place that might be alright for a BMW rally.

Airstream club's highest attended rally in history was held in Louisville, KY -- which I've seen others on this thread present as a consideration!

Another observation on Canada rallies.

The Airstream Club is also an international Club (Wally Byam Caravan Club International).

We used to hold rallies in Canada, but have not for over 20 years due to some of the same reasons mentioned above.

Perry, GA -- Large fairgrounds with lots of air-conditioned buildings. Plenty of grassy area, some with shade and some lakeside to camp. Downside is very boring roads!

Not so! There is a lot of very good riding in the area, just not tight twisties. And excellent off-pavement, it just takes a little looking for.

We were actually going to go there in 2005, and have the first totally air-conditioned camping. Yes, there is that much indoor space at the fairground.

But the deal fell through over the beer concession.

ian

Some more:)

Hollister,CA is a thumbs up!...Years ago and last CA pic, Jaguna SecaCA, a BAD pic imo:(. Kalispell,Montana:). Bellingham,Washington:), Gunnison,CO.:), Sun Valley,Idaho:), Santa Fe,NMex., Colrado Springs,CO. , A few I would like. The Hollister,CA above I looked into and has all the right stuff, imo:). It also(used to) hosts a much "larger" HD Rally every year, than ours, so a welcome quiet crowd of Beemer folk would be a resbit for that community:). Very near Monterey,Hwy 1 and much other activities for bikers/offroaders and everything. SF is only a two hour ride at best for those inclined to see the G.Gate and all else. Remember HollisterCA for those powers that be in such matters. Randy"Polarbear"

Where did BMW MOA Board member goto school if they think "International" & "North America " is the USA. These are the people we elect .......
I'll goto to the Canadian "Inter" National Rally

Where did BMW MOA Board member goto school if they think "International" & "North America " is the USA. These are the people we elect .......
I'll goto to the Canadian "Inter" National Rally

Boise State University, where they taught me that an event which welcomes people from countries all over the world is international. Really, is this we have to pick over - insults and semantics? :banghead

Then get rid of "International" at the least - it's insulting to our fellow riders North & South of the USA. If MOA includes "International" riders in the Mileage Contest, Camp Gear, & Rider Performance University - then include Canada & Mexico in the 4 zones of MOA International Rally - is all I'm asking & friends who are non Americans. And yes it's insulting that they are not included in future Rally sites picked.

You can't buy some of the cars in the USA as well & some car don't come to NYC as well too - others only come to Detroit or Long Beach.

Greg - I got the low down on Trenton, Ont. - ( From older members in MOA ) Trenton was a logistical nightmare. The mom n pop vendors didn't go because of all the paperwork, a prize bike got lost in transit and all sort of other issues. Vendors have since been clear that they won't go to Canada.

And Mexico has never been considered as far as I know.

Last edited:
Priceless - the look I got..

from James Davidson, the BMW salesman at the local shop when I told him I recommended Louisville for a future BMW Rally.

At first, I think he was a little suprised, like :jawdrop. But he quickly warmed to the idea and even started talking about rides around the area for the on-road and off-road types.

Even if it's not the 2013 Rally, I hope the Rally Search Committee will give it consideration for the future.

i've passed this on to the right folks.

do you have any sense of how heavy the air traffic is there? the place is right at the end of the runway for the Louisville Int'l Airport.

Ian

Many big events are held there every year....lots of room and nice BIG buildings. Not sure about tent camping there. As I recall there are acres and acres of paved parking areas.... but the air traffic IS heavy....

Back