• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally - Site suggestion

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
Seeing how next years rally is in Zone 2, (the nation being divided into 4 zones, and the schedule going 4,2,3,1. 1 being the other side of the Rockies, I'm guessing), I'd like to put forth the suggestion that the 2013 Rally be held in Louisville, Ky and the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center.

www.kyfairexpo.org

The National Farm Machinery show is held there every year, so there'd be more than enough room for all the vendors to be inside. Plus, there's an indoor arena that hosts Monster Truck and SuperCross events, so maybe the opportunity to have the GS Giant course INSIDE!!

Lots of green space for campers as well as close by hotels.

Anyway, just an idea.

Thanks for your time,
C

I like Louisville.:thumb

You should send this to the selection committee. I understand it helps if you do a little leg work and find out things like availability, cost, and whether they'll let us serve beer. Pics would be nice.

Tom

2012 is the last of the seven Zone rotaion schedule. Beginning in 2013 the new four Zone rotation schedule is...2013 Zone 1 Western, 2014 Zone 3 Midwest, 2015 Zone 2 Mtn States, 2016 Zone 4 Eastern.

Casey, we will take a look at the Louisville site. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chuck Manley
Rally Site Search Team

2012 is the last of the seven Zone rotaion schedule. Beginning in 2013 the new four Zone rotation schedule is...2013 Zone 1 Western, 2014 Zone 3 Midwest, 2015 Zone 2 Mtn States, 2016 Zone 4 Eastern.

Chuck Manley
Rally Site Search Team

Hey Chuck - any chance you could post a map that shows us which states fall into these revised categories?

Could assist us with submitting suggestions.

Thanks -Kevin

Casey-
what would you think of the KY Horse Park up above Lexington? I understand they did a lot of upgrades for the World Equestrian Games.
-david

Seeing how next years rally is in Zone 2, (the nation being divided into 4 zones, and the schedule going 4,2,3,1. 1 being the other side of the Rockies, I'm guessing), I'd like to put forth the suggestion that the 2013 Rally be held in Louisville, Ky and the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center.

Casey-
what would you think of the KY Horse Park up above Lexington? I understand they did a lot of upgrades for the World Equestrian Games.
-david

David - based on the recommendation of another member, we evaluated that site and could not afford it.

This was 3-4 years ago, pre-improvements. Looked like a great spot, minus the required air-conditioned indoor space (which may now be available) Maybe in these tight times their prices are a bit more reasonable?

Ian

Breckenridge Colorado. Average summer day temperature 70 degrees. Altitude in town:9,600 feet above sea level. Cool and dry with great roads and scenery with many things to do. 90 degree days are unheard of, although us flatlanders will find it literally breathtaking! Oh well, its always something.

Second This Nomination!

Breckenridge Colorado. Average summer day temperature 70 degrees. Altitude in town:9,600 feet above sea level. Cool and dry with great roads and scenery with many things to do. 90 degree days are unheard of, although us flatlanders will find it literally breathtaking! Oh well, its always something.

2nd

Fabulous!

we're not rich enough or skinny enough for Breckenridge. :ha

but, man, talk about fantastic rally destination.....

quick search of the convention and visitors bureau show no sort of facility that we typically use. could have missed something... anyone know?

hotel rally, anybody?

then there would be NO closing ceremony. :ha

Another CO destination that could be great would be Aspen after the music festival, if we could use the music school's facilities, dorms, etc. There are some really large meeting rooms, etc. But ... I can hear the complaining when area motels and hotels raise their already high rates by 50-100% because of the rally. :laugh

David - based on the recommendation of another member, we evaluated that site and could not afford it.

This was 3-4 years ago, pre-improvements. Looked like a great spot, minus the required air-conditioned indoor space (which may now be available) Maybe in these tight times their prices are a bit more reasonable?

Ian

I checked it out once too. Beautiful site. Didn't know about the cost, but didn't see enough indoor space, and wondered about how the horse owners/managers would feel about their prize "filly" being surrounded by motorcycles. (even quiet ones) :brad

Another CO destination that could be great would be Aspen after the music festival, if we could use the music school's facilities, dorms, etc. There are some really large meeting rooms, etc. But ... I can hear the complaining when area motels and hotels raise their already high rates by 50-100% because of the rally. :laugh

ANYWHERE in Colorado!! What a fantastic state!

Just got back from 5 days out there - was in Denver, Winter Park, Estes Park (and the Rocky Mtn National Park), Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch and Colorado Springs.

Unfortunately, according to the latest rally site intel, mountain states region not up until 2015 - that's four long years from now.

Bummer. :mad

Last edited:

Chuck Manley
Rally Site Search Team

My understanding due in part to Mr. Feeler's comments on i-bmwr.org site that the 2013 site has been selected it's just a matter of crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's and won't be announced 'till sometime in the spring..so this discussion is a moot point..:dunno

What about the missing parts of N America, it is an International club, right? (eh)

don't quote me on this, but it appears that another rally in Canada is not going to happen. We had massive problems with borders, taxes and other governmental issues that it just doesn't appear possible.

personally i would LOVE to go to a rally in BC or NS.

ian

QUOTE=wuli959;701182]Casey-
[what would you think of the KY Horse Park up above Lexington? I understand they did a lot of upgrades for the World Equestrian Games.
-david[/QUOTE]

David,

They did indeed sink a BUNCH of money into the Horse Park for the WEG. Also, Georgetown built lots of new hotels. KHP has their own campground as well.

I'm not sure about indoor space for vendors/seminars,etc. I know they have primitive and RV camping spots.

My thought about the KY Fair Grounds was all the available indoor area and the possibiity of having the GS stuff inside.Heck, during the National Farm Machinery Show, they have the National Truck/Tractor Pulls inside!
I spoke with the guy at the fair grounds who books events, he sounded like our Rally was something they'd like to have. I sent his info to the Rally Search chair listed on the forum.

Here's their website, if you'd like to take a look at it. www.kyfairexpo.org

They just completed a huge renovation/addition to the Fairgrounds. And with the size of the crowd that the Ky Derby brings in, Louisville has more than enough hotels for everyone who wants one. Still lots of campground area on the Fair property. And they do indeed sell beer during events.:drink

If the site is already picked for 2013, maybe try to get Louisville in the rotation down the road?

I know there's a lot of sprcifics that are involved with selecting a Rally site, I just think that for the Zone, Louisville would be a good spot. Just about smack-dab in the center of Zone 3, as well as 3 and 4. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29115&d=1312296556
Thanks
C

Last edited:
passports for Canada?

Wouldn't all the US members need to get a passport to go into Canada? I think that'd probably deter many from going to a Rally there..

my .02
C

Back