• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K75s Windshield Modification

joetRS

Joe T
I have read a few articles about the windy side of the stock K75s (Mine's a 1991) windshield. Some solutions seemed very elaborate while others seemed to cost a hundred bucks or more. This may have all been done before but for me it was an elegant solution that works like a top and cost me an hour of time and $6 bucks at Lowes.

The purchase included two packages of two 1/2 x .194 X 1" nylon spacers (see the pictures-the correct spacers are a perfect fit for the #10 screws); a five pack of 10 X 1" stainless rounded head Phillips screws; a five pack of 10 X 1 3/4" stainless rounded head Phillips screws; and a pack of standard faucet washers. Two of the spacers sit at the top, the other spacer is cut in half for the bottom.

The only hard work is cutting one of the nylon spacers in half for the lower modification. I used a pencil for a holding device and cut it on a table saw. I tried a hacksaw but the nylon is a lot harder than I expected (a nice surprise).

Here are the steps: First you remove the windshield (no kidding). Slip a screw head through the faucet washer and through the hole on the windshield for each of four. The two longer go to the top while the shorter on the bottom. Fit the windshield back on the faring and hand tighten the four screws. You will have to stress the windshield a bit to get it to fit. That's it.

I went for a ride from Providence to Wellfleet on Cape Cod and she ran beautifully with none of the usual buffeting wind at my normal sitting position. I am 5'9".

Let me know if anyone has done this before or if you try it yourself. Happy motoring!

Attachments

• k75s_strip.jpg
    k75s_strip.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 166
Looks like my '91 K75S as well - I used rubber & S. Steel washers single low & stacked by the turn signals. It's up to you ? Even try both?

I am going to try this on my 85 k100rt
Iam a little to tall and alot of wind buffeting on my head
Maybe it will fix the air pressure behind the fairing
will keep you posted
Ernest

Windshield effectiveness varies with rider size and position (and position has a lot to do with seat height) and bike speed. I remember trying several aftermarket shields when I rode a K75S from 1988-1997; I ended up using the stock shield. On my current R1200R, the solution was to incline the shield a bit *more* to get rid of the buffeting.

This might really be a good idea if you've been looking for a reason to get a new cabinet saw.

A few years ago, I made myself just nuts with windshield height and buffetting issues.

I mean to the point of taping short peices of yarn all over the shield and some of the fairing to check airflow.
This was on a K75RT, and later on 2 different K75S's.

On the RT, I came to 2 conclusions. To have little of no buffeting, the w/s needs to be either tall enough to be at mid-forehead, or low enough that it is at shoulder level, or to top of your chest. Anything inbetween produced at least some buffeting. The distance your head is from the w/s does make some difference but not too much.

At forehead level, you are of course looking through the w/s, which some cannot tolerate, but I really didn't mind. I am only 5'7" and I ended up with a +3" on the RT.
This was like riding in the cone of silence.

The other option, cutting the w/s down to top of your chest, protects your upper body, and puts your head/helmet in "clean" air with no turbulence.

If you want your head in smooth air,[or no air] this seemed to be the only 2 choices.
I tried "edging" , Laminar lips, you name it, none of these solutions made much difference.

On my first K75s, I think I was trying to make it into a RT, with a taller after mkt w/s, [tried both a Aeroflow, and ???Name escapes me]. Neither really eliminated buffeting.
The stock w/s on the S may work with stock bars, but I had switched to "C" bars for a bit more relaxed position. The flare on the top of the stock w/s directed the air right into my face, with buffeting to the point I thought I was getting double vision.
I actually sold that S [the 3 w/s's I had went with it] and bought the Rt described above.

The cone of silence RT was great, but I found myself riding in the winter less, and it was too hot in the summer, so I sold that to a fellow Airhead [who first thing, cut about 6-8 inches off the w/s, go figure.]

I bought a second S, and on that one, [also with "C" bars] I cut the flare off the top, making a smooth semi circle, giving it a sort of "cafe" look, and it's perfect, chest protection, and helmet in clean air, no buffeting whatsoever.

I hope this long tale is helpfull, and saves someone some time and aggrevation.
rj

By the way, I did try spacing the S w/s out as described in the first post, and in my case, [C bars, and being 5'6"] It seemed to just move the buffeting, but did not really eliminate it.
Your results may vary.
rj

I have read a few articles about the windy side of the stock K75s (Mine's a 1991) windshield. Some solutions seemed very elaborate while others seemed to cost a hundred bucks or more. This may have all been done before but for me it was an elegant solution that works like a top and cost me an hour of time and $6 bucks at Lowes.

The purchase included two packages of two 1/2 x .194 X 1" nylon spacers (see the pictures-the correct spacers are a perfect fit for the #10 screws); a five pack of 10 X 1" stainless rounded head Phillips screws; a five pack of 10 X 1 3/4" stainless rounded head Phillips screws; and a pack of standard faucet washers. Two of the spacers sit at the top, the other spacer is cut in half for the bottom.

The only hard work is cutting one of the nylon spacers in half for the lower modification. I used a pencil for a holding device and cut it on a table saw. I tried a hacksaw but the nylon is a lot harder than I expected (a nice surprise).

Here are the steps: First you remove the windshield (no kidding). Slip a screw head through the faucet washer and through the hole on the windshield for each of four. The two longer go to the top while the shorter on the bottom. Fit the windshield back on the faring and hand tighten the four screws. You will have to stress the windshield a bit to get it to fit. That's it.

I went for a ride from Providence to Wellfleet on Cape Cod and she ran beautifully with none of the usual buffeting wind at my normal sitting position. I am 5'9".

Let me know if anyone has done this before or if you try it yourself. Happy motoring!

It's been a long time since this post, but I have a question, as I currently have a buffety '90 K75s. Was the objective of installing these standoffs just to raise the pitch of the windshield (taller spacers up top) or was it to create some airflow under the windshield through the dash to create a more balanced flow of air? I"m assuming it's both, with more emphasis on the latter. thanks!

Back