Thread: 1994 K75 Speedometer Issues

1994 K75 Speedometer Issues

Hey gang. I have a question.

Once in a while, while on the highway, my speedometer gets "stuck" at 60mph. At times I *know* I am going faster than that, and after some acceleration/deceleration it doesn't really move. Then when I go off the highway it slowly goes down to about 20 or so, and then If I tap the display a couple of times the needle falls back to zero and all is good from here on out.

I've had the GPS with a few times and the speed is usually within a few MPH.

I've done some searching and found some articles on the speedometer stopping or the gears not working on the odometer and such, but I'm having a hard time finding out what this issue is.

Any ideas? It's happened twice now this season.
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.

I had a similar problem with my tach, it was the needle binding on a warped faceplate. The warp would vary with temperature some sometimes it would bind, sometimes not. Got a new faceplate, it warped too. Finally stuck some spacers on the outer edge of the faceplate so the front of the housing forced the faceplate to stay put.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Clean your fuses

If the speedo needle is not mechanically hanging up on the dial face, it might be electrically hanging up. I had this problem and fixed it by cleaning all the fuses in the fuse panel on the left side of the bike. In my case the speedo would either hang and not increase in speed, or it would hang at the old speed and not drop when I slowed down. A squirt of contact cleaner in each fuse socket and working the fuse in and out a half dozen times fixed it. I was told that the Klassic K-bike instruments are very voltage sensitive and resistance at the fuses can create this situation.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I can't see where it would hang up on my dial. That looks to be in perfect shape.

I did pick up some contact cleaner and pulled the fuses and gave them all a shot and then put the fuses back, took them out, put them back a few times.

Hopefully that solves it.

Thank for all the help!!
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.

On my K75RTP - 1995 model - the speedo does the same thing if it is in direct sunlight. I don't think it is hanging on the faceplate or number plate. My best guess is that the needle shaft is binding in its bushing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Well, Mr. Glaves, if you are correct I may live with it.
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.

Hi,
    My 1995 K75RTP, one serial number away from Paul's, does the same thing with both speedometer and tachometer. As Paul said, the instruments often stick while in direct sunlight. I can shade one of them with my hand and it will work. When I stop shading it, it soon sticks again.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

another speedo fixed - maybe

I tried Greg Feeler's suggestion of contact cleaner in the fuse box. I also jiggled the wires going into the unit and for the last 25 miles it worked perfectly.

This has been an intermittent problem and almost certainly electrical as it works perfectly, not at all (most common) or the needle fluctuates. It never sticks. I was really not looking forward to trying to remove the guage and disassemble it. Looks like the first step would be to remove the RS windscreen.

So, hoping the "fix" lasts... I actually missed the odometer more than the speedo. When it started acting up, I figured out that in 5th gear 3000 rpm was an actual 45 mph, 4000 = 60 mph and 5000 = 75 mph. And I do mean "actual," since indicated mph is about 10% fast. Useful if it happens again.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Still working after 600 miles!

My suspicion is that Greg Feeler's tip - contact cleaner in the fuse box - is what did the trick. Jiggling wires to "fix" the problem is unlikely to have been a fix which lasted this long.

Thank you! Unfortunately, it didn't fix the ABS problem. (But I did remove the electrical tape over the dash lights to check.)
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    My suspicion is that Greg Feeler's tip - contact cleaner in the fuse box - is what did the trick. Jiggling wires to "fix" the problem is unlikely to have been a fix which lasted this long.

Thank you! Unfortunately, it didn't fix the ABS problem. (But I did remove the electrical tape over the dash lights to check.)
    I'm glad if that proved to be the fix. I know it worked for me, so I thought I'd pass it along. This winter I'm going to pull all the electrical connections on a couple of the bikes and clean them up really well. Couldn't hurt.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I don't think I've put more than 50 miles on the bike since trying the fix. Still great.

As soon as I dig myself out at the office I'll give it a longer try.
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.