• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Whirring Sound at 3800 rpm in 6th

rummy63

I am not sure why but I have a whirring sound only when I am riding in 6th gear at about 3800 rpm on my 2007 K1200GT. I just had a new Michelin Road Pilot 3 installed on the front. I have kept the Michelin Road Pilot 2 on the rear until next Spring. It is not an engine or suspension issue. Oddly, the bike performs admirably at any other speed. The sound is annoying and unsettling. Any ideas?

Whirring sound

The Vancouver BMW Motorrad said it is the sypes (sp?) or rain slits that cause the whirring sound and it is normal. Had I known about the whirring sound of the Road Pilot 3's, I would have stayed with the Road Pilot 2's. Going for a ride, bring your best ear plugs.

I have the pilot road 3's on a K1300S and don't notice any noise... got amazing life out of them, 12,500 miles on the last pair :)

Sounds like the clutch as mine does the same thing. It has a gear whine in sixth gear. From what I understand the clutch basket gets grooves wore in it and that causes the noise. I have PR3's front and rear and they have a little noise to them depending on the road surface I am on but not to the extent of a whining noise.

Back