• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who will be "Superior S"?

john1691

Not to take anything away from the off road riding skills of the GS Giant participants, but will next year's contest be geared toward the "S" or "RR" segment of the club? How about the "RT" crowd? Will they get a contest in which they can win a fully farkled model of the bike they are already riding? Will GS riders be excluded, like the rest (majority?) of the club who don't own off road bikes were from the GS Giant contest this year? Don't get me wrong, I think it was a cool idea, and followed the post from the start. Maybe just a little jealous as I could not participate in the event as I don't own a GS style bike at this point in my life. :violin Were club funds used to pay for the contest/prize bike? Just wondering.

Not to take anything away from the off road riding skills of the GS Giant participants, but will next year's contest be geared toward the "S" or "RR" segment of the club? How about the "RT" crowd? Will they get a contest in which they can win a fully farkled model of the bike they are already riding? Will GS riders be excluded, like the rest (majority?) of the club who don't own off road bikes were from the GS Giant contest this year? Don't get me wrong, I think it was a cool idea, and followed the post from the start. Maybe just a little jealous as I could not participate in the event as I don't own a GS style bike at this point in my life. :violin Were club funds used to pay for the contest/prize bike? Just wondering.

No

And nobody was "excluded" except by their own choices.

To get an RT Giant show going next year all it takes is some members lining up sponsors and coordinating it with the rally chair and other workers. Oh, and then doing all the work.

In fact this year, a few folks in conjunction with the rally chairs and the Iron Butt Association did put on the Bloomsburg 1000 IBA Saddlesore ride (1000 miles in 24 hours). Lots of RTs and their riders were in that rally related sub-event.

All they got was free pizza, but it's a start. :)

And kudos to Wayne Foster who at age 87 became the oldest rider to have completed an IBA Saddlesore 1000.

Last edited:
Were club funds used to pay for the contest/prize bike? Just wondering.

Club Funds ? No it was just a member(s) trying to get a free bike for a deserving someone in the club ........ $ound familiar ? :)

For the record Ian, and I worked the adventure community and the outcome was a large amount of funding to pull this event together. This private sponsorship funding " was given " to the club to be " returned " to us the organizers to purchase goods and services as intended, if it was privateered we wouldn't need the MOA. Twisted Throttle offered their Demo bike as a prize and gave a large amount of funding towards the track construction and gypsie tour as did Revzilla. There were other noted sponsors such as Klim, Aria etc. etc. wishing to part of this pioneering event. The track was built 20 % under budget as far as I know thanks to guess what ? A volunteer building it ! Additional track material was donated or given to us because the material is going towards fairgrounds improvement after we leave ( I, a volunteer knows the Fairgrounds President ), and material was left for us by the Monster truck event organizer who knew a MOA volunteer ......:thumb...... this is better than black helicopters, because there is a Masonic Consistory in town with Knights Templer. Its located right next to the square the Vintage, RS, and Side Car community used. That event was designed to keep an all knowing eye on other model club members and protect the GSers. .... a GS Giant eye ...... we were hoping the sport riders would show.

There was enough funding to provide for the gypsie tour, the track, add " the days" of training offered by Rawhyde and BMW PC for free, and both of those organizations helped design, build the track, judge the trial event "as volunteers". Rawhyde came to my donated farm were GSers and one LT rider learned some off road tips and they were feed well.......again donation of time, place and talent by a volunteer(s). ..... That day cost was way less than a projected with the differance returned back to the MOA.......for all to use.

There were GS Rides for all levels of skill, training opportunities, community building projects and there was additional funding " from the GS events not MOA coffers " that helped provide the big screen TVs that generated more funding due to ad space sales that went to the club for " all to enjoy". So John ask how come the GSers did not get that profit ??? Also if we would have had the screens earlier we could have generated more money for "ALL" but we have to wait till next year. :)

Discrimination, foul, unfair ? No how about a volunteer working in the hot sun and some MOA a.......e came out to the track saying I hope its well used, because "we" gave you guys enough money for it. Gee I thought it was volunteers raising the money from generous sponsors to be given to the MOA for the GS Organizers to use, not like it was MOA money..........the MOA was more or less just the transaction hub profiting like a pawn shop. So I would sure like to meet this MOA member because the GSers were G$ers for the MOA.........this was Bloomsburg not Napa Valley.

Here is how you do it. Find a local in Missouri or KC that rides a young mans bike, use the A...... Book. There has to be another Jessie James out there. I would call Farmer Ted formerly Yellow S who could help and he knows where the few curves are. Get a sponsor for the event, btw Twisted Throttle has a demo RR. Round up a few more sponsors that make parts for the bike and heat exhausted riders. Get the local dealer involved, make a gypsie tour from one paved straight away to another, camp together, deal with caterers, create stopins and make it fair for those that are learning to advanced ...... maybe even throw in a track day. Become a Supeerior $er ! Then after 9 months of S'ing I'll ask if any MOA money was spent or did you steal from the GS Giant purse ?

The GS Giant outcome was happy GS friends formering their own MOA Charter club. The event reached the attention of BMW Motorrad USA and on Rally Friday, VP Pieter de Waal escaped the romancing of the GTL under the big top and rode the advanced GS Ride to Hermys BMW ....... shame on Hermy for nothing for the Rs there but a work bay. Its all because of a volunteer(s) with GSes instead created something of valve for fellow members who are GS riders. You can do what we did just replace GS with R or $, after all Mi$$ouri is the $how me $tate.

Sadly the only Superior S in Bloomsburg was the Brough in vintage.

:nod

ok, just wondering. I had a great time at the rally, don't have any ill feelings toward anyone or the club, don't want to be yet another whiner in the long list. I have great respect for you guys, didn't know until your responce as to how the whole thing came about. I appreciate that you took the time to respond and 'splain it to me. Not even sure how I'd pull together any type of "S" competition that woud be safe and or legal, so I guess it's a mute point.

Yeah, a "free" bike for a deserving someone does sound familiar.........thanks for reminding me what a great bunch of people this club is comprised of.

Not to take anything away from the off road riding skills of the GS Giant participants, but will next year's contest be geared toward the "S" or "RR" segment of the club? How about the "RT" crowd? Will they get a contest in which they can win a fully farkled model of the bike they are already riding?

interestingly, i've recommended that very thing. there is no reason why we couldn't and judging by how much the GS Giant riders enjoyed the event, there's no reason why we couldn't do something like this for sport bike riders and sport touring riders and cruiser riders and.....

Will GS riders be excluded, like the rest (majority?) of the club who don't own off road bikes were from the GS Giant contest this year? Don't get me wrong, I think it was a cool idea, and followed the post from the start. Maybe just a little jealous as I could not participate in the event as I don't own a GS style bike at this point in my life. :violin Were club funds used to pay for the contest/prize bike? Just wondering.

well, you would have lost GS BS points for being a whiner! :ha

no club funds were used to pay for this entire event and the GS Giant will be donating $1000 to the MOA Foundation.

ian

Last edited:
Not even sure how I'd pull together any type of "S" competition that woud be safe and or legal, so I guess it's a mute point.

john - no, it's not a moot point. it's a good idea and i am looking into it. insurance is a big issue... but there is a way to do this without it being a race.

it may not happen at a rally, but man, i sure would like to see it happen, even if my fat a** couldn't fit on an S bike to save my life.

ian

me, in 2006. look how close the valve cover is to the ground!!!

DK3873-L.jpg

John,
If you want to get something going for the 'sport' crowd at the 2012 National, there are three asphalt tracks within a short ride of Sedilia, Mo.

I-70 Speedway (Odessa,Mo)...1/2mi asphalt oval...44mi distance

Bolivar Speedway (Bolivar,Mo)...3/8mi asphalt oval...76mi distance

Lebanon I-44 Speedway (Lebanon, Mo)...3/8mi asphalt oval...77mi distance

Here's your starting point. You have a year to get it together. Get on it buddy!!!

Speed safely...

John,
If you want to get something going for the 'sport' crowd at the 2012 National, there are three asphalt tracks within a short ride of Sedilia, Mo.

I-70 Speedway (Odessa,Mo)...1/2mi asphalt oval...44mi distance

Bolivar Speedway (Bolivar,Mo)...3/8mi asphalt oval...76mi distance

Lebanon I-44 Speedway (Lebanon, Mo)...3/8mi asphalt oval...77mi distance

Here's your starting point. You have a year to get it together. Get on it buddy!!!

Speed safely...

Better yet (but a bit further) Heartland Park Topeka - variously a 1.8 or 2.4 mile road course which would be a perfect venue for a Tuesday-Wednesday series of pre-rally events like they did with the GS events leading up to the rally. Maybe one of the schools (Nate Kern, CLASS, STAR, Code, somebody could be lured to be a sponsor.

Last edited:
John

I thought about the Superior S and R Ruler event. I think its doable.

You or other MOA volunteers can run it like the GS Giant complete with Stop bys at BMW Dealers and vendors that support the MOA. You can offer Twisted Detours in each state documented by photos with your score book. You can have BS points earned in Missouri or KC by seeing points of interest while touring. You can add a Four Corners Missouri Tour for points. Add a separate area for camping and seminars geared to the model at the rally site. To add additional points you could get involved in the Saddle Sore or IBR to or from the rally site. One of the vendors may offer some free training or part of their rally offers exp. Lee Parks to Keith Code. Add a track day and a event that builds community such as camping somewhere or meet up prior to the rally............we have to see what Nate Kern is up to and Teach the Stunt rider.

Here's how it would look for me on my gS :scratch. Friday prior to the rally my Score Book is downloadable ( the electronic version has downloadable GPS waypoints ). I start my trip by taking RT 125 south which ought to be an Twisted Detour. I stop at Hermys and pick up stop by points, I repeat the same with Montgomery and Bob's BMW to end day one. Bob allows camping and may feed you. Day Two ride to Mortons BMW for a stop by and take Sweet 16 as a Twsited Detour which puts me somewhere in WV and pointing westward. Day Three, ride another Twisted Detour in Kentucky and stop by Louisville BMW. Day four, in Missouri do the four corners or position myself for the IRB or Saddle Sore event. ....... this is a thinkers S and R event not just riding, so one has to pick how they earn points towards SWAG.

At the rally do S & R Community building, camping, seminars specific, take free training offerings, Track Day(s) or maybe even a Drag Race if one is close ( Numedia offered their place at Bloomsburg ). You could also have a social downtown at a square or historical area.

You need a local so I would try and get Farmer Ted involved since he was once Yellow S. He knows the twisty roads and opportunities there. Plus he attended Camp Gears so he should be a great one unless he is living in Germany now.

Sponsors ? If I were you John, go speak with Anthony of Revzilla since you are in the same part of the woods. They were very supportive of the GS Giant and may wish to extend a hand to other models since they cover a broad range of bikes. Twisted Throttle may also wish to be involved since they recently tricked out an RR bike. I have others on my mind but I may need them for the GS Giant. :) But I would go after a suspension company.

More brainstorming later, but it maybe possible to combine the GS Giant with the S & R's with the only differance is the road surface ........... more thinking required on my part :scratch I want to save expenses because I am a MOA capitalist but I want to keep the communities built and growing yet maintain individuality. ::kiss

John come up to the Teach event at Hermys next month so we can discuss it............I think it would be great and reach our younger target group.............our youth need to see value in belonging to the MOA !

Back