• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Embarrassing closing ceremony

Code:
If you don't need to be present to win the Grand Prize then why change the ground rules for the remainder. Please consider the hard-working volunteers out there who are excluded from winning under this strange rule, simply because they are busy volunteering somewhere else on site to provide the masses with First Aid cover, Security, BEER !!!! etc.
If the prize donors insist that the winner be present then a proxy should be allowed to claim any prize won by a volunteer who is working at that time.

At least twice that I can remember, someone in the crowd shouted out that the winner was working in the beer tent (or other place); someone got ahold of the winner, and they claimed their prize.

That's not a foolproof way of handling volunteers who are not present, but it can work. Despite that, there may still be a better way.

Muriel

Code:
If you don't need to be present to win the Grand Prize then why change the ground rules for the remainder. Please consider the hard-working volunteers out there who are excluded from winning under this strange rule, simply because they are busy volunteering somewhere else on site to provide the masses with First Aid cover, Security, BEER !!!! etc.
If the prize donors insist that the winner be present then a proxy should be allowed to claim any prize won by a volunteer who is working at that time.

At least twice that I can remember, someone in the crowd shouted out that the winner was working in the beer tent (or other place); someone got ahold of the winner, and they claimed their prize.

That's not a foolproof way of handling volunteers who are not present, but it can work. Despite that, there may still be a better way.

Muriel

Maybe the cell phone number could be included with the name and rather than having to be present they would only have to be reachable.

Came across this thread doing a google search on how to spell Knochlein Award. I found the comments interesting. As Das Rally was my first rally, it was interesting seeing how the leadership actually took many of the recommendations from this thread and implemented them long term. (case in point; foundation winner was notified via cell phone that he had won the rally bike. He wasn't attending the concert, he was at his tent I believe) There was also no flame cars at the closing ceremonies. Greg is now the rally chair for 2017, I suspect someone who has been closely monitoring that which makes a rally successful for so long will have a real good chance of making next years rally, super awesome.

The ultimate embarrassing closing ceremony is still Missoula, when with guests from the city already on the dais, including the person who would be accepting the MOA charity donation, a group of individuals who had helped with the rally lined up in front of the stage and...mooned the crowd. A truly classless act not well received by the attendees.

DG

The ultimate embarrassing closing ceremony is still Missoula, when with guests from the city already on the dais, including the person who would be accepting the MOA charity donation, a group of individuals who had helped with the rally lined up in front of the stage and...mooned the crowd. A truly classless act not well received by the attendees.

DG

Totally not cool.
Must have been back in those wild and crazy biker days I've heard so much about around campfires.

Whoop di doo!

Why on God's green earth are we discussing the 2011 closing ceremonies in 2016.

Last edited:
Came across this thread doing a google search on how to spell Knochlein Award. I found the comments interesting. As Das Rally was my first rally, it was interesting seeing how the leadership actually took many of the recommendations from this thread and implemented them long term. (case in point; foundation winner was notified via cell phone that he had won the rally bike. He wasn't attending the concert, he was at his tent I believe) There was also no flame cars at the closing ceremonies. Greg is now the rally chair for 2017, I suspect someone who has been closely monitoring that which makes a rally successful for so long will have a real good chance of making next years rally, super awesome.

Whoop di doo!

I thought it was interesting.

I thought it was interesting.

As one of a very few recipients of the Knochlein Award, I am proud. But why the problems or not problems of 6 years ago are relevant in 2016, I don't know. Interesting, maybe. Actually informative, I'm not sure.

Whoop di doo!

Because someone dropped a pebble into a calm backwater pool in the MOA forum and someone else responded to the ripple. Not sure why there should be any stress over that, as good organizations learn much from reviewing not only what has worked for them in the past, but also what hasn't worked. And, one could make a strong case for the latter being more valuable than the former... MOA closing ceremonies have gotten much more concise, focused, and enjoyable in the last decade. Certainly technology has helped with that, but it's also a reflection of review and post-mortem analysis.

At any rate, this thread started as a complaint about heat and attendee accommodations at the closing ceremony for a rally noted for it's extreme temps. Next year will be SLC in July, which makes important the consideration of such things... so imho a thread bump is not a bad or useless thing. YOMV.
Best,

DG

Because someone dropped a pebble into a calm backwater pool in the MOA forum and someone else responded to the ripple. Not sure why there should be any stress over that, as good organizations learn much from reviewing not only what has worked for them in the past, but also what hasn't worked. And, one could make a strong case for the latter being more valuable than the former... MOA closing ceremonies have gotten much more concise, focused, and enjoyable in the last decade. Certainly technology has helped with that, but it's also a reflection of review and post-mortem analysis.

At any rate, this thread started as a complaint about heat and attendee accommodations at the closing ceremony for a rally noted for it's extreme temps. Next year will be SLC in July, which makes important the consideration of such things... so imho a thread bump is not a bad or useless thing. YOMV.
Best,

DG

I was on the Board of Directors for a number of years. As a long time member, I was also at the Missoula rally, and say the event mentioned. I was club President during and after the Bloomsburg rally and following a lot of member concerns about the closing ceremonies there, I convened a special Rally Review Committee. One of the results of that was a commitment to keep the closing ceremonies to approximately on hour, and make them more uptempo and interesting. From my observations, we've done a good job of that. I'm serving as Rally Chair for the Salt Lake rally in 2017, and can assure everyone that we'll have a both a great rally, and a closing ceremonies that won't embarrass anyone. :)

Charleston National when the PA was going to only 1/2 of the auditorium and they were giving away valuable prizes. When the 1/2 who couldn't hear began shouting and objecting, the MC got all "STFU" on them. That was nice.

Charleston National when the PA was going to only 1/2 of the auditorium and they were giving away valuable prizes. When the 1/2 who couldn't hear began shouting and objecting, the MC got all "STFU" on them. That was nice.

Wow - long memory - but I was there too. That was one guy who lost his cool. I've never seen anything like it before or after, so I think completely forgettable.

Back