• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route Suggestions?

S

Shabba

I'm traveling home tomorrow from Rome, Georgia to Richmond, Virginia. Now, I have the very real options of taking either a) Interstate 85 all the way to Richmond from Atlanta or b) taking Interstate 75 to Knoxville to Interstate 40 to 81 and then getting onto Interstate 64 in Staunton. I'm on a bike so that route is bleh! I was hoping to get some suggestions from the more seasoned road warriors here, some more scenic routes.

I've used Freetrip to chart a course, but it has me taking 217 miles worth of I-81. I'm leaning towards getting on Route 411 from Rome to Route 11 and following it all the way to Salem, VA. From there, I would jump on 460 to 24 to 60 which dumps me out in Richmond.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I would use the second option. Much of 460 now has speed limits of 65 and 70 MPH and is a nice ride. 24 and 60 are a good choice if you are heading to the Henrico side of Richmond but if you want to go to the Chesterfield area, 460 to 360 is a better choice. I've ridden all of those roads many times. I live beside I-81 and rode to Bloomsburg on it last week to the rally. It has a lot of heavy trucks and they get side by side on the hills on Southwestern Va and they hold you up for miles. We rode through WV last week on the return trip just to avoid I-81.

I would use the second option. Much of 460 now has speed limits of 65 and 70 MPH and is a nice ride. 24 and 60 are a good choice if you are heading to the Henrico side of Richmond but if you want to go to the Chesterfield area, 460 to 360 is a better choice. I've ridden all of those roads many times. I live beside I-81 and rode to Bloomsburg on it last week to the rally. It has a lot of heavy trucks and they get side by side on the hills on Southwestern Va and they hold you up for miles. We rode through WV last week on the return trip just to avoid I-81.

Very true. That so called "technology corridor" is a very bad beginning just north of Roanoke and not ending until you have cleared the Claytor Lake area. I live in the west end of henrico so 24 to 60 is perfect for me. I love the drive through little Buckingham and Cumberland.

I think I've decided on the route that I mentioned. I'll take 411 from Rome into Maryville, TN. From there, I would take 129 to meet 11 on the other side of town. My only issue now is which 11 to take, E or W? I can't really find much info except that 11W used to be called something horrific because of the number of deaths on the road.

I've made it home. A few weeks ago, I started a blog on blogger.com. I have tracked my plan to ride to GA and have written about the ride down and the ride back. Would it be bad to post a link or would I do better to just copy and paste? It's loooonnnngggg....

I am sure one to the moderators can weigh in on that. Off hand, if it is real long I think a link is appropriate.

http://shabba2.blogspot.com/

That's the link. If it's inappropriate, I hope a mod tells me and I will remove it immediately.

Thanks for looking. I try to be detailed in what I write and think. I also try to update as often as possible.

Back