• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Crash Caught on Video - ATGATT really pays off!

Wow. That is scary..not only the accident you survived, but being reminded "stuff happens" and this could be me (or any of us). We don't have to do something wrong to get in a jam while riding. Glad you aren't (badly) hurt. Hope you heal quickly.

Thanks for sharing and reminding us how fast it can happen. What an odd thing to have happened. You should get this to BMW. They need to make some changes to keep the brake cable from doing that to anyone else. This could have been much worse and to me this is a serious design flaw.

Wow, that's awesome that you are ok and the fact you were way out there and lucky on a truck coming by. So many times I have to explain why I am always wearing all my gear, that really says it all.

I showed this to several folks in the office today...including a woman whose boyfriend thinks "that sort of gear is only for people who think they will crash."

...including a woman whose boyfriend thinks "that sort of gear is only for people who think they will crash."
He's right ;) the body protector is something you should wear when you go offroad. I have one as well for my offroad escapades (on my '83 Yamaha Tenere). When I ride my RT I wouldn't wear a body protector; my normal leather suit has more than enough protection. And I don't intend to fall down on my RT.
When I go offroad, it's a good possibility that I hit the deck occasionally. It goes with the territory - quite literally - when you go through the forrest in rough terrain. It doesn't take much to fall. Like in the video, a lock up on a loose surface like a gravel road takes you out in a second. Then there's the occasional branch or treestub sticking out. Offroading is not without danger, hence the exessive protection. In my full offroad gear, I look (and feel) like a Stormtrooper out of Star Wars.

As I am sure that we have all been there...

I would tell the woman : There are two kinds of riders. There are those who have been down and those will go down."

Heal fast!

I would tell the woman : There are two kinds of riders. There are those who have been down and those will go down."

I tell people I have been riding for twenty years and have not went down, YET. My time has to be coming, and I would like to walk away from it WHEN it does.

Or, does the clock reset after so many years? I went down once in college over 20 years ago.
I'd like to think I've gotten mine out of the way, but I still ride like it could happen again anytime!

Is it possible that some people go down twice which allows others to never go down?
It depends. I'm fundamentally opposed to the saying that all bikers will go down at least once. When you're just riding the tarmac that is. It's different when you go offroad. Then it's just a matter of time. Usually it's not as bad as this incident, but that has mainly to do with speed. When you're in the woods or on deep sand, the speeds aren't that high and when you go down, it's not like a 60mph crash. More like 15-20mph.
Yesterday I went offroading (on my '88 Yamaha Tenere) with a couple of guys. I fell down 3 or 4 times. But when I go out on the RT, I don't expect to go down. Obviously, and accident can always happen, but I don't think about that. In my opinion it's the wrong state of mind to ride a bike, expecting that you will go down sometime. I never fell with my roadbike (not counting the 2 times I tipped over losing balance while stationary) and I don't intend to (who does? ;) ).

If you're only riding 15-20 mph on deep sand, you're really not doing it right. :thumb

Thank you for the kind words of support. This happened in March, and I have healed up nicely.
Good ATGATT message caught on tape to remind people, brought my bike back from the grave thanks to good insurance, and have a cool scar over my tattoo.
I'm happy with the outcome of this incident, not that I'd want to do it over again. :)

I'm not sure how it would be received here vs. on ADVrider, and find it interesting to see the various responses.
If it helps anyone to put on a piece of safety gear when it's a little hot or whatever, then I'm cool with it.

Did you let BMW know about this incident?

Tom

Back