• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Lorem Ipsum Vintage Rally.

Rapid_Roy

So, I prepped the R50, and changed the oil and strapped my rain liners on the back seat, and attached the tank bag (Thank you again L.A.W:wave). I got up around 6:50 am Saturday morning, and went downstairs and let some of the extra oil I added out, so it was below the maximum mark, then I took a shower.
I suited up and left the house about 7:45 am, having to bump start the R50 as I, in a mind to give myself exercise, flooded it. And we are off!
It's a 160 mile trip on a 1955 BMW, what could go wrong?

The plan was to take Hwy 18, which meanders very close to my house, and through a series of towns until I reach Madison, WI, our Capitol, where Walkers are not welcome. Hwy 18 is 2 lane until 20 miles outside Madison and it becomes 4 lane. It's scenic by me, but farm country and the greenery is deemed not picture worthy by me today until I get past Madison. In Madison, Hwy 18 enters the beltway and pickup Hwy 14 which loops around Madison and exits West. I will be taking Hwy 14 through Spring Green, WI. It is the location of Taliesin, Frank Loyd Wright's School and one of his homes. Around 20 miles after, it, the town of Richland Center, where I stop and take a few of my Summer setup.

P7230002.jpg

MenR50.jpg

In Richland Center, (Amish Country), I will take Hwy 80 North a few miles, to Hwy 56 which is 31 miles to the Town of Viroqua,
I get on Hwy 56, and have 31 miles of this:
(for Jock, who likes scenery)
P7230005.jpg

It was a great ride, and as I pulled into Viroqua, I spotted a K-bike trying to turn left and I saw the sign for the rally, and signaled. He waved at me and I turned right, and another quick right onto Walnut st and we were there!
The rider was C squared, an ADVrider, and we parked together enjoying the contrast in ages and machinery.
P7230007.jpg

Next, I hang at the rally.

Last edited:
At the Rally, I stripped off the riding gear and went and got a organic Lemonade and organic Bratwurst, with organic Kraut and organic Mustard.
I sat and listened to the band, but the video did not turn out.
There were not too many old bikes there, and it was mostly nice new bikes, so here are some pictures.
P7230010.jpg

P7230011.jpg

P7230016.jpg

P7230013.jpg

Hot, and bored, taking pictures.
P7230014-1.jpg

It took almost 4 hours to get there, and I saw what looked like rain clouds coming, so I suited up, said goodbye, and took off.

So, it turns out it poured right after I left. I had a nice ride home, alternating between sun and clouds, I left the same way I came, but I took 14 to Hwy 78 then went North to Hwy 60. The Northern route home is less crowded then going through Madison. I stopped after I crossed the mighty Wisconsin River to take some pictures for those that like scenery. The Wisconsin River is a clean, sandy river with a lot of canoeing, kayaking, swimming, nude beaches, and just a lot of recreation, in general, for our state. I like it a lot.
P7230018.jpg

P7230025.jpg

The bridge I crossed over on:
P7230024.jpg

A wonderful BMW:
P7230031.jpg

P7230033-1.jpg

Party Barge
P7230032.jpg

I tried to make it home without stopping, but my glutius maximus was killing me from that old seat, so I stopped to smell the flowers.
P7230042.jpg

P7230037.jpg

P7230041.jpg

P7230038.jpg

Almost 350 miles, and I made it home by 5:30. Not much was done the rest of the day, we went swimming, and just relaxed in general.
I had a good time, and it was fun to take the old Bike out and beat it properly.
Kbasa said he had a picture of one of the first BMWMOA rallies, it was a bunch of Hippies on /2's. I can relate.:dance
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Now, I miss my old 1969 R69S. :banghead

All that's left are a few spare parts and a second key.

Nice pictures :thumb

Thanks

Thank you.
My brother has a R69S that I would love to convince him to sell to me to get it running again.

For when I want to ride a old BMW and actually pass cars.
:dance

Back