• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wunderlich Throttle Lock

clowry

I bought one of these at the rally and Dave installed it on my '04 F650CS for the ride home, but it doesn't seem to work properly. I tried it several times, tightening it down as far as I could, but there doesn't seem to be enough friction created to actually hold the throttle. As soon as I relax my hold on the grip the speed starts to drop. Any suggestions on how to improve it before I pack it up and send it back? I have emailed Wunderlich for help as well, but they're out of the office for another few days.

Thanks!

I don't have one, but they are similar to some others on the market. As you tighten it, it snugs up against the end of the throttle tube. So the problem is that there is too much gap between the throttle tube and the lock. One reason could be the throttle lock is not all the way up against the end of the handle bar. The more likely reason is the throttle tube is shifted up the handle bar. I don't know exactly how your switch gear is, but the basic process would be to loosen the switch gear/throttle assembly (some bikes they are separate, some the are single piece) and sliding it towards the end of the handlebars a little bit then tightening them down. Some bikes have a pin that forces the assembly to only be in one position though. Once again, I don't know if yours is that way or not.

If you've adjusted the position of the handlebars before, you may have moved the throttle assembly so the switches are still reachable and accidentally shifted the assembly inwards. So that could be why they are in the wrong position.

Anyway, that's how I'd fix it, by moving the throttle tube out on the bars.

Hope that helps and you get it working.

If it was really hot at the rally when the throttle lock was installed and it is now cooler, then just the difference in temp may be causing the issue.

I have a throttlemaster lock on mine and the expansion/contraction of the throttle tube makes it impossible to adjust it so that it works all year around.

I have it set so that in the summer when it's really hot (>100F road temp), it will drag just a little bit even when completely released. However, when it gets colder (<40F) it won't hold the throttle even when cranked all the way on - until I turn on the warmers.

I suspect that you will have to adjust yours (as mentioned above) to some compromise position that works for most of your riding.

Just my experiences...

Ahhh - that's a very good point! It was VERY hot at the rally, and not quite as hot on the way home (it was overcast). Thanks for pointing that out. I've actually found a short video from Wunderlich showing the adjustment process. I'll get to it after dinner!

Back