Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2009 RT U-Joint Failure

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Nat!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Welcome

Thanks Gary, it's good to be on board.

Anyone repaired this themselves?

It looks like my U-joint on my 2009 RT is failing at 82,000 miles. I'm getting an odd vibration. There's a reddish dust around the rubber boot and I can see jagged metal on the u-joint when I pull back the boot. The final drive seems solid.

Has anyone replaced the drive shaft themselves? How involved is it? What special tools are needed? I've done all the maintenance on this bike since I bought it at 4,000 miles. I've done almost all the work on all my motorcycles over the years so I feel I'm handy enough with tools. Just not sure if there might be any special nuances to doing this job right. My preferred BMW dealer is 225 miles away so hauling the bike there is a bit of a hassle. The drive shaft is $1,100 and I'm sure labor will be high as well.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeff
    Jeff Kramer

2019 R1250GSA

Quote Originally Posted by motozot View Post
    It looks like my U-joint on my 2009 RT is failing at 82,000 miles. I'm getting an odd vibration. There's a reddish dust around the rubber boot and I can see jagged metal on the u-joint when I pull back the boot. The final drive seems solid.

Has anyone replaced the drive shaft themselves? How involved is it? What special tools are needed? I've done all the maintenance on this bike since I bought it at 4,000 miles. I've done almost all the work on all my motorcycles over the years so I feel I'm handy enough with tools. Just not sure if there might be any special nuances to doing this job right. My preferred BMW dealer is 225 miles away so hauling the bike there is a bit of a hassle. The drive shaft is $1,100 and I'm sure labor will be high as well.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I think if you read the above posts you'll see several people who have R&R'd a driveshaft. If yours hasn't destroyed itself it might be rescued by one of the people who rebuild them - cost is much less than new, but turnaround is longer.

Is R&R a DIY? Depends on your skill level and your luck. There are some of the swingarm housings which will allow the front U-joint to pass through. They're mostly on the GS models, but I've heard of them occasionally on RT and R models. There is one point in the casting where the internal diameter is just a TINY bit too small to allow the front U-joint to pass. If that's the case, the swingarm has to come off to replace them. That's not super complicated, but having some mechanical skills before trying it would be a good thing (I wouldn't recommend it for a novice mechanic) and I'd suggest having the BMW REP-ROM handy to guide you and give you torque values and such. If the driveshaft will pass through the restricted area of the swingarm - it's a fairly easy job, not much more than is needed to lube the rear spline, or drain the on the early "lifetime fill" drives.

I do know some people who have removed the swingarm and then used a semi-circular file to open up the restriction a bit, and grind a tiny bit off the corners of the front U-joint (you'll know what I mean by "corners" when you see where it sticks).. so they could then R&R the shaft without removing the swingarm. They did this so they could easily remove the shaft to inspect the front U-joint.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!