• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bungie Buddy Luggage Anchors

PhilScrivano

A few months ago I purchased a set of Bungie Buddy Anchors. I have been trying to observe the location other riders have put them. There seems to be a lot of choices. I am reluctant to drill holes in my hard cases until I think I am putting them in the most useful locations.

Any advice from experienced riders would be appreciated. Pictures are even better.

Thanks,

Phil Scrivano

I've put these on a few different bikes.

I try to put them as far forward as I can and generally as far back as I can, while still keeping them close to the seat of the bike. What I did was put my stuff on the bike and try to figure where the ideal spot for attachment would be. I threw some straps on and sort of pulled on them to see where I'd want to hook on to and put the buddies right there.

What kind of bike are you putting them on, Phil? What are you going to carry? I put them on my S bike so that I could attach my Mag's Bag with carabiners. Those spots are different than the locations I chose for the RS, which generally gets a canoe bag on the back.

I am putting them on my 2002 R1150R. This summer I plan to make a couple of 4-5 day camping trips. You make a good point about putting my tent, bag, and sleeping pad on the bike to find goods locations.

Thanks,

Phil

Bungee Buddies

Avoid putting them on even a slight curve or angle. Surfaces must meet squarely. I put'em on the top flat surfaces of the bags...as far forward and rearward as possible. Drill holes, fill'em with a bit of silicone sealer to ensure they're waterproof. You're done.
:p
Tyeeman

On the Wing, if I can't get what I need for the trip in the trunk and saddlebags, I drag a trailer.

But on the three K bikes I've owned, bungee buddies eventually were installed on them all.

After you decide on the locations, drill the holes about one size small so the bungee buddy has to screw into the opening. Then, the oversized washer goes on the inside to reinforce the bag against ripping. A dab of silicone will help with the water proofing.

Phil, when I log off I'll e-mail you a photo of the locations I eventually settled on. The picture will explain it all at one glance. I may come back later and upload it here -- but I don't have time to jump through the resizing hoops at the moment.

Good luck,
Rick

Last edited:
RickM said:
On the Wing, if I can't get what I need for the trip in the trunk and saddlebags, I drag a trailer.

But on the three K bikes I've owned, bungess buddies eventually were installed on them all.

After you decide on the locations, drill the holes about one size small so the bungee buddy has to screw into the opening. Then, the oversized washer goes on the inside to reinforce the bag against ripping. A dab of silicone will help with the water proofing.

Phil, when I log off I'll e-mail you a photo of the locations I eventually settled on. The picture will explain it all at one glance. I may come back later and upload it here -- but I don't have time to jump through the resizing hoops at the moment.

Good luck,
Rick

rick - if you want to email it to me i'll do the resizing and post it. i'm interested in the locations you chose.

Why not consider getting a set of Helen Twowheels straps (www.helen2wheels.com) and forget drilling holes for the BB's? I have BB's on my K bike and I don't use them anymore; it's easier and safer to use straps. There are lots of good places to attach straps on your R.

Get some rubbers too - washers that is

I mounted mine as far back and as far frount as I could while still having a flat even surface. The one thing that suprised me was that there was not a rubber washer when I purchased them. A quick trip to Home Depot solved that and now I am happily using them for tie downs (moving away from bungies since I feel there is less control of the cargo then with tie downs.)

Watch the placement of the drill. While I was deciding I managed to touch the drill bit to the top case which caused a smalle scratch. Luckily it was where I wanted to mount the bungee buddies.

Happy Riding

Back