• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
as i said:

you are basing your rally involvement purely on a business decision, as you should, where as the rank and file of the MOA base there rally involvement on a completely different criteria.

Once again you missed the point. You suggested that vendors would come regardless of the time of year because of the money to be made at the national. I simply provided an example where that's not the case.
The other point you missed is if I was making the decision purely on business I would be campaigning on this site for a spring or fall national as it would be a much more highly profit rally for me. But I'm also a member and I see the disadvantages to moving the rally and so far none here has proved to me that moving the date would be an advantage to the club.
So one more time, you want to prove it to me and others? Go out and support your local charter or BMWMOA regional rally that takes place during the cooler months, take your friends, your kids, your lovers, and strangers. Get so many people to come to these events that they have to turn people away. Then and only then can you prove your point.

Here's a thought: What if we cooperated with an existing rally? Some of the larger regional rallies could be considered for a dual sponsorship. The existing rally could be designated "The National", and they would get the full backing of the Club.

Proceeds could be split as percentages based on previous attendance at the rally.

Win/Win

Tom

Tom - one word: Logistics. Not every large regional rally takes place somewhere near a facility that could handly 7-10k bikers.

truer words have never been spoken, but pleasing the majority should be the goal here.

Sounds like the hard part is identifying the majority so a plan to please them can be created and implemented.

George, I'm having a hard time figuring out your position on the rally. You pre-registered, booked an off-site room in advance, then had to cancel your plans well before the heat wave started rolling across the country. Are you still holding a grudge because your firearms at the rally thread was locked? Or has someone from the MOA told you to pound sand when you made a suggestion?

I think this is a healthy discussion and the MOA needs to find the best way to identify the wants & needs of the membership. I just don't understand why anyone feels that a small number of staff or members is controlling the Rally dates for their own personal benefit. :dunno

I admit that I'm not an authority on rallies but are there any big rallies in the spring or fall to join? :dunno

They are not done yet:

For 2011, the MOA has planned another two special Weekend Getaways for members - September 23 - 25, Cedar City, Utah and September 30 - October 2, Tomah, Wisconsin. Registration is underway.

Check out the main page:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/

I would like to see the timing of the rally (spring/summer/fall) rotate, just as the location does.

In this way, over the course of time each part of the country would get the rally in each different season. This would allow more members to attend.

Speaking selfishly, my busiest time of year work-wise is July into the first week of August. This means that I can NEVER take a ride out to one of the rallies far from the northeast, and I would love to see that change.

How about if the rally is going to be held at the same dates in July to make it a city event like in Charleston, WV? I know that rally didn't turn out the greatest with the split sites and the weather problems, but I liked the idea. I was able to stay in a hotel and walk to the vendors and seminars. That is the main reason I come to these rallies anyway and I usually camp to be near everything and to not have to get back on the bike after visiting the beer garden. But that is really not my idea of camping anyway. You're usually packed in like sardines and stuck out in a treeless environment without an adequate number of showers. I would much rather motel it if I could remain on site. If we can find sites that fit those requirements and have some room for camping nearby for those that still wish to do so, that would be great. But it would have to be some type of urban setting in order to have that many motel rooms available. Perhaps a university would be an option, as that would be during the time when they are not in session and they could use dorm rooms as we do on many rallies now.

It has seemed to me for quite a while that other than the teacher/school issue, there are really no other compelling reasons to not consider a spring or fall rally. So the question becomes, how many teachers/students would a change effect as opposed to non teachers students. If the teachers and students represent a majority, so be it, otherwise try something new. Has the MOA ever conducted a poll among members to get a feel for how many members would be interested in such a switch? The MOA is a good organization and have enjoyed my membership, but it is pretty clear there exists a it has always been done this way mentality. What is the harm in giving it a try? Who knows maybe those dwindling rally attendance numbers folks are whining about each year, might spike. Of course 2012 is already set in stone and perhaps 2013, so there is plenty of time for a serious study and polling of membership.

Last edited:
It has seemed to me for quite a while that other than the teacher/school issue, there are really no other compelling reasons to not consider a spring or fall rally.

There are reasons other than the teacher/school issue. I helped plan our 45th High School Class Reunion that we had in early June. Our 40th was in late September.

The early June date confilicted with several graduations or weddings of children and grandchildren as well as vacations with grandchildren who just "had" to go to the beach as soon as school was out.

The late September date caused a lot of conflicts due to football and school starting. Football was a problem because the children or grandchildren participated and parents or grandparents will not miss a game. School starting was a problem because parents or grandparents have to help children or grandchildren move into a dorm or apartment at that time of year.

No matter how strongly you feel about attending a rally, family wins every time.

Ken

George, I'm having a hard time figuring out your position on the rally.

my position on the rally is i will never understand why the rally is held in typically what is one of the hottest months of the year. when i go to a rally i go because 1) it gives me the opportunity to ride in a new area of the country that i may not have had opportunity to visit if the rally was not held there. 2) i like walking around and buying stuff from the vendors, i typically spend over $1000 at any national i have attended. my typical rally day is after breakfast i will ride & explore the area until sometime in the afternoon, when i return to the rally grounds. at that time i will walk the vendors, eat etc. if the weather is too hot like it was in bloomsburg i will not ride as i get no enjoyment out of riding in 95 + weather with high humidity. so that leaves me to walking the rally grounds, and quite frankly i see no reason why i should swelter and be uncomfortable while walking around spending my money. i can just as easily stay home and order what i want via the internet.

i also do not understand the reasoning that the rally is held to accommodate the teachers and school age kids. even if the teachers amount to 50% of the MOA members, which i highly doubt, why are we catering to them and ignoring the other 50% of the members. are teachers more important then any other member? at every rally i have been to i think the amount of school age kids i have seen was well under 100, so i do not understand the logic in catering to them either.

I think this is a healthy discussion and the MOA needs to find the best way to identify the wants & needs of the membership.

this is exactly what i was trying to do when i started this thread.

Not once have you heard a board member reference teachers/kids for the reason we have the rally in July.

i stand corrected, but please do not get yourself all worked up over this Sue.

This survey was taken only 2 years ago

that was Johnson City correct? nice weather but as i said:

the problem with surveys is you can always get the results you want. conduct a survey at Bloomsburg or shortly after Bloomsburg and i bet the majority would want the dates changed due to the extreme heat. conduct that same survey after a beautiful, low humidity 80 degree weekend in July and i bet the results favor keeping the rally dates the same. conduct the same survey again after a weekend of torrential rain in the spring and i bet the majority want the rally changed to summer or fall. so you can survey a sampling of MOA members at any given rally and get the results you want based solely on what the weather was like during that event.

if anyone wants to start a new thread entitled "who wants to choke the trashman" be my guest. i bet that thread will surpass this one pretty darn quick.

The reason we have a rally in July is because:

A VAST MAJORITY OF MOA MEMBERS HAVE TOLD US THEY PREFER JULY.

The majority who were polled. So I guess the ones who weren't will keep asking right?

POLL the MEMBERSHIP. Not some straw poll.

The majority who were polled. So I guess the ones who weren't will keep asking right?

the 8% that chose to participate were heard.

If you have the rally during the school year you can kiss the parents and kids good bye and the major sponsor can be AARP.

by polling the membership they might not get the results they want, which is to keep the rally in July.

These sorts of unfounded accusations that pop up in such threads as this do nothing to advance the stated purpose/cause, but rather have the opposite effect.
Personally I see enough of that coming out of the big dome shaped building just over the rise from where I live (DC) and don't need a repeat here!

There, I brought up politics, can we get this thread closed now? :laugh

:hungover:banghead:dance:violin:thumb:scratch:wave:fight:kiss:love:wow:bolt:stick:bikes:clap:newtoy:eek:gerg:bar:beer

RM

the majority of the membership was not polled. a random sample of the membership has been repeatedly polled, so as to assure an accurate result. using the results of the random poll has indicated that the majority of members want the rally to be in July.

random sampling polls assures that the results are not skewed by self-selecting individuals (those who are most likely to either complain or to tell you what they think you want to hear).

straw polling is almost a complete non-sequitor in this discussion. it is in reference to non-binding results.

ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back