Thread: Audio system and ear buds

DJimmy

Audio system and ear buds

Has anyone tried wiring a 3.5mm headphone jack into their BMW audio system? I have a pair of molded earplug/earbuds that work and sound great with my Zumo. I would like to be able to plug them into the BMW audio system instead of trying to listen through the dashboard speakers. They are fine at 30 mph but at highway speeds are difficult if not impossible to listen to. Any suggestions? Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjimmy View Post
    Has anyone tried wiring a 3.5mm headphone jack into their BMW audio system? I have a pair of molded earplug/earbuds that work and sound great with my Zumo. I would like to be able to plug them into the BMW audio system instead of trying to listen through the dashboard speakers. They are fine at 30 mph but at highway speeds are difficult if not impossible to listen to. Any suggestions? Ideas?
    IN MANY STATES IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE OR DRIVE WITH EARBUDS IN. CHECK OUT YOUR STATES LAWS.

You could get away with it easily unless you were involved in an accident , saeems like a big liability question mark!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Jimmy - year/model of the bike (I'd guess an R1200RT..)? Please see: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
    IN MANY STATES IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE OR DRIVE WITH EARBUDS IN. CHECK OUT YOUR STATES LAWS.
    I can't tell you how many times I've stood on the side of the road, taken the helmet off, and then pulled the earbuds out in front of a cop. They always had something else on their minds. Didn't matter which state I was in.

FWIW, the AMA state laws page says that helmet speakers are illegal to possess in Massachusetts. I've looked in the general laws, as has a friend of mine who's a cop here -- we can't find a reference.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Here's a thread on another forum that will fix you right up -- http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53007

Go to post #51 on the top of the second page for good pictures. No cutting required, plug is available from your dealer.

I have EXCELLENT audio from where ever I want it, including directly from the Sirius Stereo.