Thread: 11LT Tires

11LT Tires

I have a '97 K1100LT that needs new shoes. Suggestions on brands and where to order? I'm leaning toward Metzeler 880's. Also, the front tire calls for a 110/80/18, but the Metzeler 880 only comes in a 110/90/18. Is there a big difference? I would appreciate any imput.

Thanks.

Jim

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Paging Mark11LT! We just put a set on his '93, went with the 110/90-18 front. I've used that size when I had a '94, and have put the same size on another '94. That size is just a little taller in profile, and in this case a piece of mold flashing was just rubbing the fork brace/fender mount. I'd not seen that before, but Mark says there is not an issue with it.

The last set of 880's I used had about 28K on the front and 18K on the rear, with plenty of tread left, but they were replaced with a new set just prior to a trip, just as a precaution. I kept the front at 36psi, and the rear at 41. I was happy with them. They handled well in all weather. The bike had a set of 33/88 when I got it, and I could tell a distinct improvement in the handling.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

bmwmick
    [QUOTE=LTrider]I have a '97 K1100LT that needs new shoes. Suggestions on brands and where to order? I'm leaning toward Metzeler 880's. Also, the front tire calls for a 110/80/18, but the Metzeler 880 only comes in a 110/90/18. Is there a big difference? I would appreciate any input.

Jim,
    I am about to replace my ME-880's on my '93 K11LT. I went with the 110/90/18 front the last time and it is just a little too big to clear the sheet metal screw that holds the black cover over the fork brace. I had to cut the screw down about 1/4" to clear the tread. This time I'm going to use the 100/90/18 front with a 140/80/17 rear ME880's.
    I love the tires so much I just converted my R1100RT to ME-880 bias ply tires too.

HODAG
    Where were you yesterday?? Sent manic an emergancy gram about something rubbing under the fork brace. I did have a little rubbing under the front fork brace (a cast in nut type dealie that the screw screws into, not the whole fork brace) it was mainly the flash , but did not check it with the screw in (screw looked liked it stuck out about an additional 1/8"-1/4". I had planned on adding a spacer (washer) or cutting the screw down a little also. Its a snug fit, but they look alot beefier than the 33's.
    For the 1/4 mile ride I took yesterday they seemed nice. had a little vibration coming through the rear fender though, maybe I should have had the seat on also??

after further checking it rubs on the expanding nut and screw (pt#13, 14) not a big deal if you ask me, little file work and all will be well
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...&model=K1100LT

get the tire double check your expanding nut and screw hang down before you put the wheel on.
    Last edited by Mark11LT; 03-15-2005 at 02:13 AM.