• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Air Force Museum in Dayton

Motorcycle access

Does anyone know if you need a military base sticker to ride your motorcycle to the museum? I am retired Air Force so I know that normally you can't ride a motorcycle on-base without a sticker. In a car you can get a temporary pass but not on a motorcycle unless you have a card that shows you have had a MSF training course, are wearing reflective vest or clothing, a DOT helmet, gloves, long sleeves and appropriate footwear. The military are VERY safety consious about motorcycles. Hopefully the museum has it's own entrance because I'm going regardless of the trouble!

Honez said:
Does anyone know if you need a military base sticker to ride your motorcycle to the museum? I am retired Air Force so I know that normally you can't ride a motorcycle on-base without a sticker. In a car you can get a temporary pass but not on a motorcycle unless you have a card that shows you have had a MSF training course, are wearing reflective vest or clothing, a DOT helmet, gloves, long sleeves and appropriate footwear. The military are VERY safety consious about motorcycles. Hopefully the museum has it's own entrance because I'm going regardless of the trouble!
They have their own entrance. If you visit the new Presidential and experimental annex, you ride a shuttle 1/2 mile across the tarmac.

Mapsource route available

Mike in Lima kindly provided a nice riding route to the musuem, and you can download it here. (notice the ice cream waypoint...)

wrightpatt.gif

Ian

Honez,

The last time I was at an AFB I was on my LT and got a temp pass without any problem. I had ATG so that wasn't a issue.

You will not be disapointed

Lee said:
Debbie and I plan to spend the day there Friday or Saturday.
Love to look at aircraft.
Lee, it is the best Air Plane display in the US. And because you are are motorcycle rider you get the best parking and best of all it is free, or should I say this is your taxes at work at something you will enjoy.

There are many ways to get there depending on where you are coming from. I entered an article in the April BMW ON to help present this one of a kind experience.

If you need further information call me at 419 420 7422

JUST ANOTHER REASON TO COME ON HOME TO BEEMERVILLE, USA

SEE YOU DANCING :twirl IN LIMA

Fred Turner
Co-Chairman Hospitality
REMEMBER--THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION

Bikes at the AF Museum?

1flyer said:
Honez,

The last time I was at an AFB I was on my LT and got a temp pass without any problem. I had ATG so that wasn't a issue.

There was an Internet BMW Riders gig to the AF Museum a few years ago and we didn't have any trouble getting in.

--PirateJohn--
www.BuccaneerPress, home of PirateJohn's Most Unique Guide to Motorcycling In Northeastern Florida :drink

Chain Gang is having a pre-Rally campout July 18th-20th at Greenville Ohio. Anyone with F650 or Chain Gang'er is welcome!!! Goto f650.com for details. or write me chas1969@hotmail.com

Greenville is 40miles from the Air Force Museum. And we plan on going the 19th to check out the museum!

Thanks

Charlie C

KBasa said:
Tina's family is from Dayton and we always make it a point to get over to Wright Patterson. The airplanes are absolutely amazing.

My favorite? The XB70. There were only two built and one crashed. The other is sitting in the museum where you can get a good look at those six engines hanging out of the back.

Plan on a full day, at minimum. You'll need it. Even at that, you'll have to skip a whole bunch of stuff.
Good advice: plan a day's stay to see everything.
Oh, and it's free. How cool is that? :clap

Wright Pat Visit

Definitely on the must-see list. Will probably head up Fri.
semper fi
Mark

I was in Dayton a couple of weeks ago and did spend a full day at the museum. There is a lot to see. The place is huge, and although there were a lot of people, it was not crowded.

When you get there, immediately go and schedule yourself on a shuttle to the stuff that is over on the AFB. The shuttles fill up quickly.

22858496-M.jpg

There's lot's of military historical info there too, and more than just the planes.

22859686-M.jpg

Very cool.

22859719-M.jpg

You can pretend that you're the President on Air Force One.

Count me IN!

I would go the day before the rally. Let me know if you make plans. I am an airline pilot and a lot of my friends have gone and said it was well worth it.

Plan for the whole day

Plan for the whole day and it is worth the trip, even if you don't like airplanes. I was stationed there for 5 years and went all the time. Whenever I go back we always make time to visit the museum. There is always something new. Don't forget about the annex. If you have a DOD sticker you don't need to take the shuttle.

AirForce Musem

the write up in MOA was interesting.
I plan to spend at least most of Saturday there.
THe article says don't eat the food there!!

:lurk

Back