• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Air Force Museum in Dayton

gsjay

I'm starting to plan my trip to the National and see that the

National Museum of the United States Air Force is in Dayton Ohio at Wright Patterson Air base.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/

Looks to be about 75 miles south of the Rally and could easily take up a whole day!

gsjay

Cool

My brother-in-law went there and he says to plan for a whole day.

It's way cool according to him with lots of vehicles from our forces and from the Soviet block.

Cars, tanks, jets, planes and all sorts of other unique items.

Can't wait :clap

Tina's family is from Dayton and we always make it a point to get over to Wright Patterson. The airplanes are absolutely amazing.

My favorite? The XB70. There were only two built and one crashed. The other is sitting in the museum where you can get a good look at those six engines hanging out of the back.

Plan on a full day, at minimum. You'll need it. Even at that, you'll have to skip a whole bunch of stuff.

Yeah! Walking under that XB-70 is just awesome! My favorite, however, was the prototype atomic bomb on display...

You are correct, it's about 60-70 miles straight down the slab from Lima. I've been going there since childhood at least twice a year and have never been bored. The collection of retired Presidential planes is a 'must see' as well as the captured Iraqi vehicles. Awsome and well worth the time - and it's FREE! The food in the cafeteria is also very good but a little pricey for what you get. Enjoy! :thumb

question. are the specs below from the recent mods i made to the snow queen or are they for the xb70 mentioned above?

Engines: Six General Electric YJ93-GE-3 turbojets of 31,000 lbs. static sea level thrust each with afterburner.
Crew: 2 - Pilot & Copilot

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 2,056 mph. (Mach 3.1)
Cruising speed: 2,000 mph. (Mach 3.0)
Range: 4,288 miles

Cliffy777 said:
question. are the specs below from the recent mods i made to the snow queen or are they for the xb70 mentioned above?

Engines: Six General Electric YJ93-GE-3 turbojets of 31,000 lbs. static sea level thrust each with afterburner.
Crew: 2 - Pilot & Copilot

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 2,056 mph. (Mach 3.1)
Cruising speed: 2,000 mph. (Mach 3.0)
Range: 4,288 miles

Sounds like the new K1200S or maybe one of Jat Leno's bikes! :doh

Mrrrrrrroow.

ec68-2101.jpg

XB70-fire-wh.jpg

that's the xb-70 missing its tail fins after joe walker's f-104 starfighter crashed over the top of it. damn GE publicity stunt, trying to fly 5 planes all carrying GE engines too close toghether...........

the air force museum is amazing, i tried getting an internship there about 5 years ago, no dice, but the hanganars are huge, the B-36 is a sight to behold.

Sounds like a must see. I have been to the Air & Space Musuem in DC a few times but this looks like it could top it.

Debbie and I plan to spend the day there Friday or Saturday.
Love to look at aircraft.

BradfordBenn said:
Sounds like a must see.
It really is. I would say it tops Smithsonian Air/Space. Also, take the shuttle across the tarmac and check out the new area in the giant WWII hangars on the active base. Presidential and experimental stuff.

MBB

Yup, top notch

It's been a few years since I was there, but I have to agree that it's better than the Smithsonian. More room to walk around, more neat planes. You can easily spend the better part of a day there.

And don't overlook the fact admission is free!!!!!

You will not walk away from here dissapointed!

I highly recommend anyone going to vintage days and looking for a place to kill time until rally put this on your must stop and see list, and it will take all day to see. It's unbelievably large.

I really enjoyed a visit to the museum in 1976 when I was 8. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again now that I know a lot more about aviation.

Back