Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cam Chain Tooth Jump Guard Article

Ride like you stole it!

FWIW My '06 @ 37K

On trips, my bike would rattle quite a bit on a hot day. During commuting, not so much.

Was at a stoplight one day after work. Car pulls up on my right side to turn. I heard a rattle, said out loud to myself, man that car sounds terrible. Light changed, I went to takeoff, no power. Uh-oh, that rattle was me!

Shut the bike down immediately (I already new about the tensioner and rails). Called the wife, got the trailer... etc., etc. I was sure I had jumped time.

Had the Indy BMW guy replace the chain, sprocket and rails. Checked the clutch too since we were already in there.

The chain that came out was longer than the new one. The old rails were flat as could be.

Buttoned everything back up, fire up. Still "missing" and exhaust note still very low db.

After maddening searching, the kick-butt Indy figured out a spark issue. Turned out the timing probably did not jump... Sure, it would have soon anyway. But in the end, it was a bad coil that caused the misfire...

Bottom line? check your tensioner and rails!
    06 K1200GT
    94 K1100LT (sold)
    98 FXDL
    01 Buell Blast (Her trainer)

Have had Helen's bike up & running for a few weeks now. What a difference, idles smoother and sounds way better...except now we can hear the clutch "judder" of the early models unless the clutch is engaged at times when idling. Will live with that for now.

That new set of rails and chain really made for a snug fitting of the cam sprocket on the dowel pin . But I prevailed serenely
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Have had Helen's bike up & running for a few weeks now. What a difference, idles smoother and sounds way better...except now we can hear the clutch "judder" of the early models unless the clutch is engaged at times when idling. Will live with that for now.

That new set of rails and chain really made for a snug fitting of the cam sprocket on the dowel pin . But I prevailed serenely
    Recommend that your clutch,with the "judder" issue, to be looked at and should be covered under warranty..if it has been already modified according to a previous service advisory..then a lot..if you have any decent relationship with your local shop they should replace it under warranty with a new pre-soaked clutch pack. I was successful in all accounts to include installing the recommended anti chain jump guard as part of the installation package..

Bike is an early build '05 with 39K...doubt BMWNA would do a warranty claim. I do have a great relationship with dealer and I will ask. I remember when the clutch issue was first talked about, one had to really push NA to cover it. If they don't, I'll do it sometime in the future when it bothers her enough.

My later build '05 doesn't do it.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown