• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Endless Hills Ride ... Bad Idea?

JohnM

I'm planning on arriving a day or so early before the Rally to take in some local riding.

One route I have plugged into my Zumo heads west to Lock Haven, then northwest on PA-120 ... which I've always wanted to do ..., then back east along US-6 through Wellsboro, then return south to Bloomsburg.

But all this talk about the natural gas diggers/truckers has me wondering whether going north from Bloomsburg is a good idea. Not keen on competing with them for the same piece of highway.

Am I being overly concerned?

JM

Last edited:
Further east concerns.

The places I have been avoiding is further east. Towada along RT 6 has experienced a 20 percent increase in traffic..... the bad news its water truck traffic ! Another problem area is south of there along the Susquehanna River, RT 187 between Wysok and Wyalusing. This area has a water well along the river where all the trucks refill, such a great road too.

Now do not get too alarmed because my high school friend and a honorable man runs a trucking company and he says the industry hires the best drivers due to regulations etc. etc.. I found when I have been out and about they have allowed me to pass, they waited for you at their stops, stayed in their lanes and kept safe distances. If you group them with other truckers I feel they are safer. Safer than if I was at the wheel. :laugh

However the trucks that concern me are the support and administrative vehicles. They are white F 250 or larger types with tinted windows and out of state plates. These fellows fly down the road and the created turbulance almost made me fly off my bike and I ride a heavy pig GS. :laugh

My advice is make sure you are in the truckers mirrors because if they see you, you should be safe.

The Dushore, Laporte, Benton, Hughesville, Muncy, Back Mountain / Dallas is north of the rally and great riding.

Be mindful of the weather, early in the week there is a cold front coming with measurable rain projected ........ great for rally goers but maybe not great for early arrivals.

All the best and welcome to my riding domain.

I defer to Chris on the truck issue, but can highly recommend PA120. The detour in Hyner to the top of Hyner View is worth the trip.

215144175_Nt2Jm-L.jpg

View of PA120 crossing the river.

215144074_jc7sy-L.jpg

The area you are talking about is wonderful. You will have a blast. Try some of Rt 144 while your in the area and just about any other road you ride in that area you will fall in love with. I'm there all the time and have had no problems with trucks.

Thanks for all of your input & recommendations. Sounds like I wonÔÇÖt encounter anything serious, as my planned route is far enough west.

Once on US-6, I plan to follow it (after stopping at Wellsboro Diner) to:
PA-660 east,
US-15 Business south,
Ogdensburg Rd. at Blossburg,
PA-414 east,
PA-14 south,
PA-3012 east at Grover,
PA-154 south,
PA-3009 south at WorldÔÇÖs End,
and then PA-42 back to Bloomsburg.

JM

Thanks for all of your input & recommendations. Sounds like I wonÔÇÖt encounter anything serious, as my planned route is far enough west.

Once on US-6, I plan to follow it (after stopping at Wellsboro Diner) to:
PA-660 east,
US-15 Business south,
Ogdensburg Rd. at Blossburg,
PA-414 east,
PA-14 south,
PA-3012 east at Grover,
PA-154 south,
PA-3009 south at WorldÔÇÖs End,
and then PA-42 back to Bloomsburg.

JM

I was just on a lot of those roads. You won't be disappointed. The trucks are not a big deal.

I defer to Chris on the truck issue, but can highly recommend PA120. The detour in Hyner to the top of Hyner View is worth the trip.

215144175_Nt2Jm-L.jpg

View of PA120 crossing the river.

215144074_jc7sy-L.jpg

Very nice pictures. Back in the day, Piper Aircraft used to use Hyner View for photo shoots of their planes. The photographers would set-up on the lookout and the planes would fly by. Today, we have some hangliders that launch from Hyner when the winds are good.

Last edited:
@ JohnM

Rt 287 South of Wellsboro is a nice ride to Morris where you can pick up Rt 414.

Since you are so close to Eagles Mere take the time to take a spin around the lake and the few streets that comprise the village. The Blind Pig Pub located in the basement of the Eagles Mere Inn is worthy of a stop. Bobby, the inn's assistant, is from the Bloomsburg area. http://www.eaglesmereinn.com/

Back