• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

grounding a bike ( lightning rods)

Thanks you guys provided some interesting responses. I guess the best defense is not riding in a thunderstorm or delaying a journey until it passes through the area. But, I still don't understand why all the HAM radio guys are not getting cooked while riding. HAMS always have huge antennas on the back of their vehicles.

Because if hit, they are safe inside the cage - an advantage we don't enjoy on a bike.

And, also. . .

I understand that lightning can strike ground (or you on a m/c) miles AWAY from what appears to be the area directly under a T-storm.

In the desert SW, it's hard to tell exactly where the main cell is when you're looking at it. . .so it may be waaaay closer than you think. Fortunately, they tend to move away pretty fast.

This stopping and hunkering-down in open country is a hard thing to do, just as stopping for a brief rest is hard to do when we're underway and getting tired -- it's a momentum thing, and failing to take these prudent precautions can definitely spoil yore day.

Then again, as previously mentioned by LMO, when your number is up. . . .

Seems as if the thunderstorms are getting bigger and "better," or maybe I'm just paying more attention.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Here's what you need. I have no patent on this so you may use this idea for free if you decide to go into business manufacturing them.

Picture a motorcycle inside a giant canary cage. The cage would have no bottom, of course, and the vertical cage wires would have to contact the ground. Some engineering and testing would have to be done so the motorcycle could still lean in turns with the cage still contacting the ground all around. Seems do-able.

Give a whole new meaning to the term "cage." What about wearing one of those World War 1 German helmets with the spike on top? (Not Snell approved) What about exercising some common sense by getting off the road and having a coffee or burger during an thunderstorm?

Sorry - I think the heat is getting to me...

pete

or.. ... .

motorcyclerollcage.jpg

BMW-C1.jpg

I worked as an EMT many years ago. Lightning strikes cause paralyzing injuries. Respiratory failure is considered common. Often times people assume the person is dead and do nothing. Often giving mouth-to-mouth immediately will revive the person. Sometimes if they are in respiratory failure and cardiac failure, then CPR is required.

Motorcyclist are at a distinct disadvantage. The rule of motorcycle accidents is not to remove the helmet until you get to the hospital. If the person is unresponsive, and obvious injuries due to the accident, they are least likely to receive the vital mouth-to-mouth to revive them. Hence they die because of it.

The correct medical treatment if the person is unresponsive, is to check for a pulse. If they don't have a pulse, then do CPR with chest compression AND mouth-to-mouth. If they have a pulse and are unresponsive, then mouth-to-mouth is vital to save the person's life. This means breaking the rule of removing the helmet. This must be done immediately. The person cannot be revived if you wait a couple minutes. This description is short and quick, and a qualified medical expert might take different assessments and medical response.

If I recall correctly, there was a NPS ranger who was struck 7 times during his career. He survived all of them. Some people have a higher affinity to being struck then others.

..................If they don't have a pulse, then do CPR with chest compression AND mouth-to-mouth. If they have a pulse and are unresponsive, then mouth-to-mouth is vital to save the person's life. ..

The current trend by the Red cross is to eliminate the mouth to mouth, and just do chest compressions. Use to be as low as 5:1 compressions to breaths, NOW it is 30:2, and I an told for the non-professional rescuer it mat go to just compressions.

That said yes, if someone is dying, removing the helmet may save their life.

As to being safe inside a car, can someone explain why you would want to be
within a few feet of 20 gallons of gas in a tank with thousands of volts of electric
currant going through the vehicle ? There must be a simple answer to this.

Sure. The gas tank is surrounded by steel just like you. There is no reason a spark would occur inside the tank. Aircraft are occasionally hit by lightning, usually with little effect. But another scary thought is that electric fuel pump that lives and works inside the gas tank between your knees, relying on liquid fuel for cooling. Crazy, eh?

pete

Na1g; I can see where there may not be a spark, but there has to be an extream amount of heat in a lighting bolt. But if I'm ever in the situation, I'll have to believe
the experts and stay in the car.

Lightning used to bother me. Then, I became a sailor. The first time you're offshore in a sailboat with an aluminum mast sticking up above you and lightning striking the water around you, its either accept the risk or leave the lifestyle. Same with bikes.

Tom

Well we've come this far on the subject. This about sums it up from my experience with lightning.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uj_BjUZiNKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back