• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spot Satellite GPS or Spot Connect

smmotorco

I'm interested in buying the Spot for an upcoming trip but I'm not sure which I should purchase. I have narrowed my options down to the Spot Satellite GPS Messenger or the Spot Connect. Which do you prefer? Does anyone have any experience using either of these?

I've had all three models--original, 2, and I just bought a Connect to give that a shot, since my iPhone is pretty much always with me. I wonder if I'll prefer the all-in-one of the Spot 2. (I kind of wonder if switching apps and such will mess up the connection.)

Anyway, this means my Spot2 will go up for sale. If you're interested in that, let me know. Perfect condition.

My experience

I just completed a 8,333 mile trip from Oregon to the rally in PA. I bought the Spot Messenger2 for the trip since I was traveling alone. I loved it as my family was able to follow my travels realtime on my share page and it was great to know I had 911 at my side if there was no cell service and I had an accident. . My wife was glad to get my "custom" message each night. I had it send out a message that read - I'm done riding for the day and am spending the night here."

I only wish the sharing feed remained after the trip is done so I could go back and check the track.

Last edited:
I have the SPOT II and it works great but there can be gaps in the tracking in canyons.
You can save your tracks on SPOT Adventures. No extra cost.

http://www.spotadventures.com/
Spotwalla is also an option. It's also free and enables you to include a map of your whereabouts on your own site.

To enable Spotwalla you have to create an extra tracker on the Spot website and connect your Spotwalla trip to that tracker.

I have a Spot II and sync my trips into Spotwalla. I setup my custom messages so my kids know that if they get my "I need help message" it is because I'm broken down and don't have cell coverage. My daughter has last years Anonymous book and will try to get someone to help.

From what I have read about the Spot Connect device, it will let you send a short text message via the satellite connection, but you can't receive any replies. You also only get 30 (I think) messages included before you have to start paying for them.

To me the Spot II was a better option. I could let friends/family track where I was, and still had the safety net of a "help" message in addition to the emergency distress message that will get emergency services directly to you.

The only advantage that I could see with the Spot Connect was the ability to tell someone what type of help I needed. But if someone has to come to rescue me in an area that I can't communicate from, I would hope that they would come with some type of trailer - so my simple predefined custom message should be enough.

and still had the safety net of a "help" message in addition to the emergency distress message that will get emergency services directly to you.

Provided that the service gets the signal. As one who answers the phone when the SPOT people call, they have yet to convince me that their unit is the one to have when a life and death situation exists and you are off the beaten track.

And keep in mind, if you 'forget' to renew your service every year? The SPOT is no better than a door stop.

Since I have no use for all the "whiz bang" crap, I'm about to pull the plug on an ACR PLB.

Provided that the service gets the signal. As one who answers the phone when the SPOT people call, they have yet to convince me that their unit is the one to have when a life and death situation exists and you are off the beaten track.

And keep in mind, if you 'forget' to renew your service every year? The SPOT is no better than a door stop.

Since I have no use for all the "whiz bang" crap, I'm about to pull the plug on an ACR PLB.

My SPOT service is automatically renewed each year unless I choose to cancell it. I don't think there is a single perfect solution. like the SPOT not solely for the emergency rescue potential, but also for the ability to let family at home track where I am and let them know I'm still having a good solo trip in the places where cell phones are worthless.

To the OP, since you need it for a specific upcoming trip, my son's scout troop rented a SPOT for a camping trip (from the Spot folks). Not sure that's still an option.

P

Back