• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

GT on Steriods

tallyho

Agent Provocateur
I've been a two-up GL rider and for the last eight years a two-up LT rider. Having finally test ridden the new GTL and reviewing its ergonomics, stowage, and accessories I believe I can accurately state this bike is no LT. Mostly, it's a GT perhaps on steriods and with a few exceptions, not seriously designed with a pillion in mind. Sure, BMW will tell you it is and point out certain aspects to try and convince you but it simply does not make muster for a Luxury Touring bike. Two-up touring is still a good sized market but a good measure of the decision making process in bike selection is influenced by the pillion herself. Raw power and cases barely able to suit one person for three days are not attractive to the pillion. Dave Swider's article in the magazine didn't really provide anything new that wasn't previously published and was done with Dave riding one up, and again, emphasized power and rider ergonomics. Maybe BMW thinks mostly single guys will buy these bikes. I don't know an LT rider that's single and that's from a club with at least 20 of them. So far, none of us are biting. We've been told in many quarters these are "only" the first BMW bikes to use this engine. We can only hope a true LT will be built with a detuned version of this power plant by say, 2014. If not, BMW has effectively taken itself out of the luxury touring market and as our LTs age and the price of new ABS modulator costs more than the appraised value of our bikes we'll be looking elsewhere for a "real" successor.

Hint to BMW: Survey the right people. Ask the riders "and" the pillions. Drop this obsession with proprietary electronics. and stop assuming you know what Americans want in luxury touring motorcycle. Thanks for listening.

PS: Dave, did you get to keep those sharp riding togs you had for the photo shoots? Wondered if you already had a Shuberth helmet with the proprietary BT system in it or if it was provided. Loved the cows along with the red, white, and black color combination.

What were the pillion comments?

Also i dont think the BT is properitary as they leverage the Cardo system

My wife and I are planning to get the Schuberth/Audio set up and we wont be on a 16 - just sayin'

What were the pillion comments?

Also i dont think the BT is properitary as they leverage the Cardo system

My wife and I are planning to get the Schuberth/Audio set up and we wont be on a 16 - just sayin'

The BT is proprietary and has no connection whatsoever to Cardo (no pun intended).

Tallyho, you are correct, the GTL is not an LT replacement. It is a luxury sport tourer. Both the bike and the equipment faithfully follows recent BMW automobile design. "Luxury touring" doesn't always mean a 1978 Lincoln Town Car. Sharp-edged, powerful, high-end tech, with a healthy dose of adrenalin make for a thrilling package. :bow

But that's just me...

The BT is proprietary and has no connection whatsoever to Cardo (no pun intended).

So i guess I am missing the point of the BT - can you elaborate I thought it was tied in with the schuberth, you add the neck collar which contains cardo guts and then pair

So i guess I am missing the point of the BT - can you elaborate I thought it was tied in with the schuberth, you add the neck collar which contains cardo guts and then pair

The BT system used on the K16 models will connect with limited functionality to many aftermarket BT headsets including the "neckroll" unit on Schuberth C3 helmets. However, for full functionality including use of multicontroller and ability to connect 2 headsets to the bike, only the BMW BT Communicator may be used. It is designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth C3 helmet, but that's the only connection to Schuberth. It isn't the neckroll unit marketed by Schuberth.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The BT system used on the K16 models will connect with limited functionality to many aftermarket BT headsets including the "neckroll" unit on Schuberth C3 helmets. However, for full functionality including use of multicontroller and ability to connect 2 headsets to the bike, only the BMW BT Communicator may be used. It is designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth C3 helmet, but that's the only connection to Schuberth. It isn't the neckroll unit marketed by Schuberth.

Hope this helps.

PERFECT!!!

Thanks for clearing this up for me :thumb

If it's designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth helmet, I wonder if it's possible to fit it into other helmets. I don't believe a modular helmet can provide the protection of a 1 piece full face.

Having to spend upwards of $700 for a helmet plus what ever BMW charges for the communications gear is more of a deal breaker to me than the lack of space in the luggage or less than optimum comfort for the passenger...

If it's designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth helmet, I wonder if it's possible to fit it into other helmets. I don't believe a modular helmet can provide the protection of a 1 piece full face.

Having to spend upwards of $700 for a helmet plus what ever BMW charges for the communications gear is more of a deal breaker to me than the lack of space in the luggage or less than optimum comfort for the passenger...

Everyone has different priorities and I agree about the modular helmet. I wouldn't wear anything but a high-quality full-face helmet.

I sure wouldn't let BT functionality be a deal breaker for me though. Give the aftermarket time to adjust and we'll see options other than the $1100 combo of the C3 modular helmet and BMW Communicator.

Back to the OP's point.. I understand your viewpoint, but I must say this.. I sometimes ride with a "GOLD-WING" group (Tri-State Touring Riders) and already a number of them have switched (are awaiting) to the K1600GTL.. and they are riders that are 2 up.

Some are hesistant due to the BMW parts price /repair reputation and others cause it is the "first" year of a new model, but as a whole they seemedl VERY excited to get their hands on one....

Hope this helps.

So to use the BMW BT Communicator with the Schuberth C3, do you also need the Schuberth SRC system or is it in place of the neckroll?

Thanks

So to use the BMW BT Communicator with the Schuberth C3, do you also need the Schuberth SRC system or is it in place of the neckroll?

Thanks

The BMW Communicator is a complete unit. The SRC is itself a complete unit. Use one or the other, but the SRC (neckroll) unit does not have full functionality with the bike's audio system.

Nothing to stop you from using a wired intercom and avoid this issue if a deal breaker.
Pretend it doesn't have bluetooth.

I already have the bluetooth intercoms that work very well.

It's a bit of a moot point, since I just bought my '01 R1100RT, there won't be a new K1600 in my future any time soon, but it's just disappointing that they are trying to force a modular helmet and proprietary gear in order to make use of all of the features.

The new 16 was designed in Germany. By Germans. It is made in Germany. BMWs biggest market is in Germany. Most 16s will be sold in Germany.
So why, please, should the preferences of an U.S. American touring rider dictate what the ergonomics and performance of the bike should be?

The new 16 was designed in Germany. By Germans. It is made in Germany. BMWs biggest market is in Germany. Most 16s will be sold in Germany.
So why, please, should the preferences of an U.S. American touring rider dictate what the ergonomics and performance of the bike should be?

Excellent Comment - completely agree!!

I Love my Gisele, my new red K1600GT!

Excellent Comment - completely agree!!

All I know is that I have been riding BMW continuously since March of 1969 and my new K1600GT "Gisele" puts a smile on my face that lasts all day. Man I love this machine, I just went out to the garage to look at her again, sitting between my R11GS and my RT.

The only thing I know if I had the dollars and if they were available there would be one sitting in my garage right now. I love my RT, truly one of the best bikes I have ever owned and I should have never test ridden a 1600. Not sure if it would be a GT or the GTL as I only tested a GTL.
Last week in Bloomsburg most of the people who test rode the 1600's had pretty big smiles on their faces. I fully warned two friends of mine who both own late model boxers that they should be prepared to buy a 1600 after their demo ride.
That night that's all they talked about was how great these machines were, totally impressed with the performance and comfort.
Yesterday my service manger tells me about service which for the most part is just fluid changes. That's another big plus.
I can only hope by this time next year that the 1600 will have FD failures, connecting rods coming through the block, clutches blowing up, just something that will change my mine. If not, I'm just going to have to buy one!

I sat on a GTL at Bloomsburg last week and it felt really good even with my short inseam. I forced myself to not ride it because I knew I would not be happy with anything else when I got back. The red, white and blue one at the rally was the most attractive one I saw. It really stood in the crowd.

There were far more 1600s at the rally than I expected. Did everyone who bought one come to the rally?

Back